• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Photo Packages - Pre-Purchase Vs Buying On Board Vs Disney Vs Vs Onboard credits

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
So, I know if I pre purchase, I can save money on photo packages.

And I know if wait, buy on board, and use my Disney Visa, I can get a discount.

What I'm wondering is - we booked with a travel agency just for the onboard credit. There is no way to use that on board, and get the Disney Visa discount is there? Basically if I want to use my onboard credit toward a photo package, I have to pay full price? Is that correct?

Pretty much anything you buy onboard is charged to your stateroom account; the OBC can be used to cover anything charged to your stateroom account. To use the Disney Visa onboard discounts, you must have your Disney Visa card listed as payment for your stateroom account, however any OBC will apply before they actually charge your Visa; you can also stop by to pay with gift cards or cash before the Visa gets charged.

Enjoy your cruise!

With specific reference to the Disney Visa discount for the on-board purchases of the photo packages, the cast member who processes the transaction will refer to your KTTW card to determine eligibility, since it is coded as a DV in the lower right corner when you have entered it as the payment method for your shipboard account. You still get the discount even if your charges have not yet exhausted the on board credits on your account.

If you pre-purchase the photo package (all inclusive photos with USB), you save 15%.
If you buy the ANY of the packages while on board with your Disney Visa, you save 10%. The OBC will be used first from my understanding before you are charged on your credit card.

Plus if you pre-purchase and decide that you don't love the pictures or want a different package, you can cancel the package by the last night and get a full refund back to the credit card used for payment. Takes a few days or weeks.

New to DCL and I just got the Disney Visa Do you not get the 10% discount if you purchase the photo package in advance using the DV? Is the 10% only applicable when used onboard? Thanks!

New to DCL and I just got the Disney Visa Do you not get the 10% discount if you purchase the photo package in advance using the DV? Is the 10% only applicable when used onboard? Thanks!

No, you cannot "stack" discounts. You can either pre-purchase (15% discount) or buy onboard with the Disney Visa discount (10%). The Disney Visa onboard discounts only apply to purchases made while actually on your cruise -- photos, shopping, spa, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

As PP said, you can't double dip the discounts, and here's a reason: Shutters is run by a separate company (The Image Group); when you pre-purchase photo package (at approx. 15% discount), you are paying them directly, and the charge will originate from their Cayman Islands office.

10% DV / gold and platinum CC discounts apply to on-board transactions only, which are processed by DCL (which subsequently passes the money to the Image Group, Tiffany or any other vendor on board). It is each vendor's choice whether to follow the discount policy or exempt themselves; Image Group chooses to support this standard 10% on-board discount.

So, I know if I pre purchase, I can save money on photo packages.

And I know if wait, buy on board, and use my Disney Visa, I can get a discount.

What I'm wondering is - we booked with a travel agency just for the onboard credit. There is no way to use that on board, and get the Disney Visa discount is there? Basically if I want to use my onboard credit toward a photo package, I have to pay full price? Is that correct?
If you pre-purchase the photo package (all inclusive photos with USB), you save 15%.
If you buy the ANY of the packages while on board with your Disney Visa, you save 10%. The OBC will be used first from my understanding before you are charged on your credit card.

Plus if you pre-purchase and decide that you don't love the pictures or want a different package, you can cancel the package by the last night and get a full refund back to the credit card used for payment. Takes a few days or weeks.
Do you need to have a Disney CD to get the refund or any type of payment? I'm undecided about buying the photo package. I'm afraid I won't like any photos or they won't take many. Thanks

Do you need to have a Disney CD to get the refund or any type of payment? I'm undecided about buying the photo package. I'm afraid I won't like any photos or they won't take many. Thanks

If you pre-purchase, you can pay with any credit card and if you do cancel, then the refund will be put back onto that credit card you used for payment. Just remember to cancel the night before debarkation because they do not make any purchases or cancelations once you have docked.

We always pre-purchase and have never canceled our package. We do take a lot of pictures with characters and the backdrops...we do not mind waiting in the lines. Average amount of pictures is about 350-400 per 7-day cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter