Picky eaters: What to pack for cheap DL lunches?

mad hatter fan

DIS Veteran
What do you all pack for lunches that is easy to bring along to save money while at Disneyland. My younger two kids have gotten very picky lately and refuse to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My daughter quite often refuses to eat sandwich meat. My youngest son will eat the sandwich meat but not in bread. :confused3 We have eaten bagels with cream cheese instead of sandwiches before, but DS 3 won't eat that. The only thing everyone will eat is tuna sandwiches, but that wouldn't be the easiest to fix from a hotel room. What to do? :confused3

Have any of you been creative with what you packed for lunch?

I don't have this problem as my kids eat anything-octopus even! But long ago name brand tuna "kits" could be bought. It was a tiny can of tuna (pull tab lid), packet of mayo & crackers. It may work for you if they're still out there. Last time I bought some was 12 yrs ago.....

You could also make a list of items you could bring & have the kids circle what they want, that way they're telling you what they will eat & by making the list you're eliminating foods that won't work.

HTH! :)

Edited to say:

I found a link:
http://www.starkist.com/template.asp?section=products/lunchtogo.asp

Even though your kids aren't into PB&J anymore, how about those "uncrustables" from Smuckers? Maybe something different will appeal to them - plus, they're frozen, so by the time you're ready to eat them, they'll be unthawed.

My kids also like to eat those "lunchables" - usually the ham and cheese ones. But they have more elaborate ones, like pizzas and tacos. Would that work? You'd have to pack them with some ice.

Turkey wraps? Or sandwiches made with pita bread?

Hope this helps! :goodvibes

I am planning to pack in some lunch time food also, so we just need to eat one meal in the park. I plan on bringing apples and peanut butter, cheese sticks, gogurts (I bring them frozen and then the thaw out as the day goes on.), chex mix, oranges and nuts. I figure if I bring protien heavy items that will hold them off longer. It seems like a lot of stuff but it can all fit easily in a small soft sided cooler. The tuna packs are good and handy, maybe I'll throw some of those in too.

We always throw some uncrustables in the bag because our picky eaters may not want to eat food from the places DH and I want to go to. We usually eat at Zocal by Thunder Mountain RR and get a fruit plate for the kids to go with the PBJ. Uncrustables also makes a "grilled" cheese version.

Weird for lunch but easy would be dry cereal in those ready to serve bowls with the peel off top. You can pick up milk at any of the dining places.

Ready to go tuna kits are easy to pack - saw some new flavors today at the grocery store.

I guess i am a much meaner mother! I would explain that part of the priviledge of going to DL is that we eat was is prepared for us!

Ever since my sibs and I were small, each time we visit the parks with the whole family, we make egg salad sandwiches and bring em with us. We also bring some bottled water (we buy a whole box from Costco). Sometimes we bring some grapes in a snack size ziploc bag or PB & J sandwiches. :goodvibes We munch on these during lunch time and then splurge on a nice dinner in the parks or in Downtown Disney.

carolynben said:
We always throw some uncrustables in the bag because our picky eaters may not want to eat food from the places DH and I want to go to.

I love the PB & J uncrustables! They are sooo good! I bought a box from the grocery store to try and I swear my boyfriend snuck and ate most of them! LOL! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter