Picnic blanket spot while waiting for HEA

iheartglaciers

DIS Veteran
We have a trip coming up next month and know we'll need to stake out a spot for HEA early (since there are limited showings with the Christmas parties). Are there any good viewing spots where we can sit with a small picnic blanket about an hour or so before the show? Or is that not allowed? (I realize we'll have to stand as it gets more crowded, but it would be nice to not have to stand for the whole 60-90 mins).

Thanks!

I see tons of blankets at DL, but honestly, don't recall seeing them at WDW. People would likely not pay attention to your blanket and step on and over it as if it wasn't there.

The blanket will be ignored. You can certainly sit but you will only be able to stand up into the space you are physically occupying by sitting.

Your best bet for a blanket/picnic is the (fake) grassy garden area in front of Casey's as @JETSDAD suggests. It's an excellent spot to watch HEA. This area used to be a reserved FP viewing spot and has a bit of a "private space" feel to it given the way the gates/planters around the area are configured... but it's open to all. It tends to not fill in as quickly in my experience.

Although, that pic is a bit old. The landscaping/shrubs you see are more mature/developed and the fencing around this area looks a bit different now.

I believe that looks more like the side that's reserved for the dessert party guests....opposite side of the walkway.

I can see why you say that, but that pic is in fact the one in front of Casey's / on the west/left hand side of the hub. That green box in the background/center of the hub is the Partners statue (that part of the hub was being worked on when this was taken). That is Main Street there on the right where you see that cluster of people.

I can see why you say that, but that pic is in fact the one in front of Casey's / on the west/left hand side of the hub. That green box in the background/center of the hub is the Partners statue (that part of the hub was being worked on when this was taken). That is Main Street there on the right where you see that cluster of people.

Yeah, the angle threw me off a bit...then I started looking at stuff around it.

We watched from there in May and found it a great spot to watch from.

Following, I had the same question. Not even a blanket, I just want somewhere to sit since we plan on staking a spot 60-90 minutes ahead of time, and taking turns fetching snacks. Is there any room around the plaza garden but not IN the plaza garden, but where we can sit and not be outside the CM tape markings?

Following, I had the same question. Not even a blanket, I just want somewhere to sit since we plan on staking a spot 60-90 minutes ahead of time, and taking turns fetching snacks. Is there any room around the plaza garden but not IN the plaza garden, but where we can sit and not be outside the CM tape markings?
No, because the tables behind it are for dining guests of the Plaza Ice Cream Shop and those waiting to get into the Plaza Restaurant to eat a meal. You'd have to stake out somewhere else.

No, because the tables behind it are for dining guests of the Plaza Ice Cream Shop and those waiting to get into the Plaza Restaurant to eat a meal. You'd have to stake out somewhere else.

Thanks. Looks like the left side garden by Casey's isn't actually for the dessert party, so that spot would be fine for us. We haven't watched the fireworks since these were both FP+ areas.

Thanks. Looks like the left side garden by Casey's isn't actually for the dessert party, so that spot would be fine for us. We haven't watched the fireworks since these were both FP+ areas.
Yes that's the side we've all been saying to go to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter