• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pin Trading Basics for Kids

robndani

DIS Veteran
We are traveling with 4 kids (3 are 7 and 1 is 5). We have some pins to trade and the lanyards but have never traded before.

Any advice for this to be a fun and easy experience?

Thanks!

Yeah, just make it fun and easy for them. That sounds redundant, but that's all there is to it. Let them go to a CM and see if they like something they want to trade for. You'll find that CMs make walk up to them at times. Tell them it's OK to say no if they don't see anything they want to trade for...not that the CMs pressure them, they certainly don't, but sometimes the child may feel like they have to trade. My oldest started getting too wrapped up in it and trying to figure out what was a "rare" or "valuable" pin. I reeled him back in and told him to just collect what he likes. We're not in this for anything other than fun.

Be careful and make sure they put them on the backs properly. The backs do a decent job of holding the pins, but it's not all that hard to have one fall off, or not stick it on properly. The hole also can get big if you take it off and on a lot, so either make a new hole or throw the back out. They have locking pins you can use, and we have some, but they're more expensive and a bit of a pain to get off if you want to do a quick trade. We only use them for pins our kids have no intention to trade.

Be sure to always know where your childs' lanyard is. We've lost two...thankfully one got returned to lost and found, the other never showed up. Our kids put them in the pouch on a ride and forgot to get them out. So we're now in a habit of always, always saying "Where is your landyard" before and after a ride.

My suggestion is to use starter pins that you don't care about and offload "good" pins as you collect them. I have to control my type A and just let DD make trades as she wants to. I can't tell you how many times she has traded nice pins for those cheap starter pins but I let her because that is the pin she wanted and it made her happy.

I agree with Klayfish. Have them go to CM. We have found that the kids didn't understand when people would not trade with them. On top of that, some non-CMs can be a .... little less than magical.

A CM will trade any pin in their collection, for any pin in yours as long as they don't already have the pin you're offering (and of course its a Disney pin). The CMs with pins are usually very excited to trade with you. Many shops have some pins at the counter for trade as well. And also many restaurants hosts(esses).

Trading with non-CMs is a bit different. MOST are gonna be decent. But there are certainly some sharks out there, so just be a bit more cautious if you want to trade with people or they ask to trade with you (or your kids).

And I agree, just let the kids decide what they want because certainly some pins have MUCH more value than others. Our kids have their keeper pins in a pin book that they use for just sharing collections. The pins they trade are on their lanyards.

And I also agree, just make it a fun little hobby, because, well, that's what it is. Maybe give the kids some ideas, like collecting a theme or collecting certain types of pins, rather than just anything goes. That might make it more of a scavenger hunt and more exciting when they find a pin that goes with their collection.

Enjoy!

We love pin trading!

We like to buy the mystery packs to get traders, it's more cost effective.

I taught my kids that when they see a pin they want from a CMs lanyard or board (we only trade with CMs), they should ask, "May I make a trade with you, please?" I think it just sounds nicer than, "I want the Stitch one!"

One of my favorite things we did was to take one pin and then trade as many times as possible around the world showcase. We took a picture of each pin after each trade. It was a lot of fun.

My suggestion is to use starter pins that you don't care about and offload "good" pins as you collect them. I have to control my type A and just let DD make trades as she wants to. I can't tell you how many times she has traded nice pins for those cheap starter pins but I let her because that is the pin she wanted and it made her happy.

Definitely control any type A personality things. Who cares if it's a "good" pin or "starter" pin? Kids don't know the difference and don't care. Truth be told, I don't really know or care either. Just let them have fun and trade what they want to.

Awwww, your kids will have so much fun! My DS LOVED pin trading when he was a little guy. He is 15 now but is still very proud of his large case of WDW pins.

You will find that a lot of CMs will go up to your kids and ask them if they like anything they have when they spot them with their lanyards. They make it very easy for the kids to get comfortable with trading. Just be prepared to go broke buying pins! LOL! When my son was younger that was all he wanted to buy at WDW. He still buys pins when we visit but he is much more selective of the ones he wants now.

Thanks guys... now I've even more excited for them! I will def just start them with the CMs and let them trade what they want for what they want!

Check for the trading boards at resorts and some stores. Used to have books of pins at guest relations too but I don't know if they still do that.

If you have a Disney outlet store nearby check if they have any clearance pins from the parks. I've found starter packs 75% off and fun single pins (like Hitchhiking Ghosts) for $1-$3 each. I like knowing we are trading authentic Disney pins instead of the cheap fake pins off eBay.

What i would do was at the beginning of the day would tell them I would pay for one mystery pack, or the "buy pin with purchase" if that was cheaper. They could keep it or trade it.

I think every gift shop has a pin board hidden behind the counter.

The Mickey pin backs fall off and you can lose the pin. The locking pin backs are a pain in the neck and can bend the pin. You can buy brass pin backs which are easy to use and do not fall off. I will try to post a picture later. I saw them at Michaels and Joann Fabrics but not AC Moore or Walmart. Get some before you go and do not trade them away.

If you have a Disney outlet store nearby check if they have any clearance pins from the parks. I've found starter packs 75% off and fun single pins (like Hitchhiking Ghosts) for $1-$3 each. I like knowing we are trading authentic Disney pins instead of the cheap fake pins off eBay.
We try to go to the Disney outlet nearest to Disney Springs the first day we are in Orlando. The kids can get authentic pins pretty cheap and have something to trade that I haven't spent a fortune to get in the parks. :)

Here's a picture of the pin backs I recommend:

When you look for them in a store, sometimes you will see them as pin and pin back sets. If that's all you can find, you can get them and just not use the pin. The pin has a flat top so that you could put something on it.

Here's an example from the JoAnn Fabrics website. The Hildie & Jo 10 Pack Pin Backs-Silver are $2.99. The Multicraft Imports Pin and Pin Back Sets are $1.87 for 6 pins and 6 pin backs.
http://www.joann.com/search?q=pin+back

The Michaels website shows Bead Landing Pin With Clutch Back at $2.99 for a 10 pack.
http://www.michaels.com/bead-landin...wvar_M10443119_color=Brass#q=pin+back&start=1

There's a few general guidelines that may be helpful:

1. No more than 2 trades between the same person and CM.
2. Green lanyards only trade with the under-12 age group.
3. Don't touch the other persons pins. Just point and/or describe the one you want to trade for.
4. If the CM already has the pin you are trading away, they can decline the trade.

In reality, if your kids display even basic politeness, the CM's are gonna love trading with them. When my DDs were about that age and would use "please" and "thank you" with the CMs, we were repeatedly told what a pleasure they were. It really made me wonder about the behaviors the CMs must usually put up with!

I agree with Klayfish. Have them go to CM. We have found that the kids didn't understand when people would not trade with them. On top of that, some non-CMs can be a .... little less than magical.

My sister and I are often approached by kids to trade. We are softies and will say yes you can have any on out lanyard except x (and cover that one with our hand - typically one we liked and bought or just one we haven't seen).

If it's their first time, stick with CMs and there are a lot of them - also each park has a book and some rides have special pin "boards" as well

Our daughter has been trading for a couple of years. We've never traded with anyone but CMs (and the boards that they have around the resort). She keeps her "traders" on one side of the lanyard and her "keepers" on the other. Every night, she takes off the "keepers" she doesn't feel like wearing and refills the "traders" side.

Some people get really into it, and are all excited about fakes, rare pins, etc. Our daughter has no idea there are fakes out there, and she trades for what she thinks is cool. I'm not involved in the process at all. I think that makes it the most fun for her.

I got some pins and a lanyards for each of my grandchildren. They are excited about trading pins this Feb. I was wondering... How can you tell if a pin is fake?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter