• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

pin trading

buzz2400

<font color=teal>The TF waves to buzz2400's DS
I was at the Disney store recently. They had four disney pins for $8 (mickey, donald duck, goofy and I think pluto). I bought two sets and will have my son trade them when we go to Disney in August. That's $2 a pin compared to $6-8 in disney. Plus he gets the fun of "looking" for that special pin. Thought I would pass this on.

Yup, I got two of those myself. That's eight tradables at the parks

Only 2 sets. My grandson goes through about 10-15 pins a day during our trips. Hope you don't regret getting just 2 sets. I got a variety of several of those pins.

I bought 20 pins for trading off of ebay - including shipping to canada, they came to about $1.80 each! That's another way to get cheap traders for those of us who don't come across local sales.

Yup, I have found some goodies in the auction sites but have also been ripped off a time or two. Just be careful about what you bid on

Wanda

Do you mean by "ripped off" that you never got your order, that it wasn't as described, or that it wasn't what you expected, or ...?

I ordered 30 pin off of CheapPins.com for my kids to trade they were all under $2.00 & all were excepted at Disney. Now I ordred the Snow white set & recieved the Beauty & the Beast set but decided to keep it.

Pin Trading worked out so well for my DD. They stopped asking to buy things because they were busy trading in the stores.

By "ripped off" I meant that before I was familiar with the pins I bid on, I ended up paying a whole lot more than they are worth. For instance, I paid a fortune for a pin that I saw on a hat all over the place the next time I visited the parks.

Be skeptical about many sellers claims of a pin being "rare", "hard to find", etc. Go to pinpics.com to get an idea of the real worth of your item and whether it is indeed a limited edition or a common rack.

Recently, I saw a pin I had been looking for, supposed to be obtained only with a purchase of over $600 at the DS, years ago. I bid on it and when I received it, I was infuriated. The seller, advertising it as "rare", sold me exactly the same version sold on cheappins.com for under $4.00. You bet he had to accept it back because I threatened to file a fraud complaint with my credit card company. It is that sort of thing what some dishonest people will do and you have to beware.

Wanda

Thanks for the hint about the Storybook sets. Can't beat $2 a trader!!

I ordered 30 pin off of CheapPins.com for my kids to trade they were all under $2.00

I can only find the Disney group for $59, which makes them $3.00 each..which ones did you buy to get them for $2.00? We want to pick some up for ht egrands to trade next time we are down in Disney.

Rick --

In the Disney Stores, they have pins in a collection called "Storybook Sets." Each set contains 3 or 4 pins (check carefully) and they cost $8.00. There is one called "Mickey and Friends" which contains 4 pins of the characters heads. If you price it out, it comes to $2 a pin.

(Yes, I know there are those who are concerned that if we ALL traded these pins with CMs, then their lanyards would be boring, but you do what you got to do. If Disney would limit the number of doubles that each CM could have on a lanyard, we wouldn't have these problems).

There are good, *cheap* pins on Ebay if yoiu just keep your eye out and hit it right. I try to do this more often as most of you will notice the same *cheap* traders on on all the CM's lanyards. I like to try to put on a little variety of what others will actually want.
Another nice, but cheap, trader for WDW is from Bongo's Cuban Cafe in DTD. Bongo's sells a cute little $3 pin that is currently tradable with WDW CM's.

Would you guys believe we have never been to WDW? I know that sounds incredible, but its true!

My 13 y/o would probably groove on this pin trading thing when we go in April. Can someone PLEASE explain all of the ins and outs to me? Where do we get the pins, who would she trade with, how does she display these in the park?

Help!

Spirit Feather:sunny: :crazy:

You can walk up to a pin trading station and buy a lanyard to wear around your neck. Some come with four pins, giving you two to trade.
Stick to trading with CMs. Only because you may, innocently, find an LE in those racks in some place that sold out elsewhere and here comes Mr and Mrs Shark willing to take advantage of you by offering a common rack for it.

If you are too shy to walk up to a CM (and there's no reason for it, they'll never reject an offer and must trade with you) look for the trading books in the pin trading stations. I have found nice treasures there, even pins I never saw before. As a matter of fact, CM have a real blast trading with guests, so you can ask them to help you feel more confident about trading.

Have fun.

Wanda

The way my son did it (he was 8 at the time) was he would find a cm with a lanyard and just glance at it. If he saw a pin he liked he went up and asked to look at the pins. The cm's were all very nice. They seemed to like the idea of trading. My son is shy and I was surprised that he did do this. We are going again in August and he can't wait to trade. I was told that a cm can't deny a trade. If it is on their lanyard they have to trade. It was more fun than actually going to the stores and buying the pin you wanted, like a treasure hunt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter