Pin trading

Crispymom

Earning My Ears
Haven't been to WDW in 20 years, and will be taking my 14yo daughter in February for her first time. Is Pin trading a big deal? Is this something we should plan on doing? If so, how does one go about starting?

I've also been wondering this week whether Pin trading is still popular (not between guests but with cast members). During our last trip 4 years ago, our kids really enjoyed it. We have a trip coming up so I am following along to see if we should bring some pins. Thanks for this post!

I pin trade! But mostly I have been pin buying. The best Way is to buy a pin pack with the most pins you can for the price. I think it’s fun. I usually pick character I search for during trips. Have fun!!

My kids love pin trading with CM. They've never traded with other guests but always want to stop and see what pins CM have on their boards/lanyards.

Ditto on the pin packs. I can usually find pin packs at the Disney outlet store. That's what my kids use for trading. You can buy them on eBay, but it's really hard for me to spot fakes so I just don't bother with that.

Note that most gift shops have a pin "board" which is behind the cash register - you have to ask to see it.

We have noticed that while a lot of CMs will have a pin square hanging on their person, there is rarely, if ever, a pin worth having on the board. They always seem to be of a monorail, or a random tree or odd shape. We love to buy and shop for pins, but we keep them and wear them proudly!

My kids (10 & 13) really enjoyed pin trading last year. They didn't care about worth of pin as much as something they'd enjoy having.
We did buy off Amazon and the pins looked real, but again, it was just for what they liked.
Also they are pretty shy, so this is a good way for them to interact with the cast members and make conversation.
Also my daughter gave away a pin to a little girl on the bus. So it was nice to see DD being kind that way as well (very worth the cost of the phone)

My kids love pin trading. They had some good luck this past trip with mystery pins the cm have on their lanyards. Resorts often have books or boards too. We hit a few while waiting for dinner reservations.

Disney Studios has a contest going in which cast members can win prizes for most trades, best trade, etc so pin trading is hot there. It was much slower at the other parks.

Definitely think it is kid dependent....not necessarily for everyone. My DS 15 is looking forward to trading on our April 2018 trip. He remembers doing it on our two previous trips (2008 and 2014). I bought him a new star wars lanyard and some pins as part of his Chanukah gifts.

Disney Studios has a contest going in which cast members can win prizes for most trades, best trade, etc so pin trading is hot there. It was much slower at the other parks.
I wish I had known about this earlier (went to Studios today but did not stick around as the weather was horrible). I’ve found that trading pins this year with CMs has been really disappointing. I know it’s probably because of too many fake pins floating around but every single lanyard seems to have the same terrible, boring pins. I can’t think why the CMs are not encouraged more to ‘retire’ the obvious fakes, scrappers or undesirables at some point. The pin boards have been very hard to find this trip too.
I think the whole pin trading system is a lovely way to interact with CMs, make memories and it HAS to promote the buying of more and more pins (at least it has in my family’s case). Is it apathy on the CMs part or is Disney not making enough money on this to keep promoting the practice?

I wish I had known about this earlier (went to Studios today but did not stick around as the weather was horrible). I’ve found that trading pins this year with CMs has been really disappointing. I know it’s probably because of too many fake pins floating around but every single lanyard seems to have the same terrible, boring pins. I can’t think why the CMs are not encouraged more to ‘retire’ the obvious fakes, scrappers or undesirables at some point. The pin boards have been very hard to find this trip too.
I think the whole pin trading system is a lovely way to interact with CMs, make memories and it HAS to promote the buying of more and more pins (at least it has in my family’s case). Is it apathy on the CMs part or is Disney not making enough money on this to keep promoting the practice?
I agree. I’m hoping for more success this trip!

Pin trading is still very big in WDW. You can find many of the new releases at Epcot and Magic Kingdom. The just started WDW Pin trading night in February 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter