Please help warm my cold feet! (PHM first-timer)

InspiredbyMadi

Mouseketeer
Hi all! New member coming out of lurkdom here. :wave2: I'm looking for some advice, wise words, and encouragement. I've been scouring this board and the 'PHM 2014' thread for several days now and the support around here is palpable. So here I am, nervous, but ready to reach out and ask for help. I hope to make this short and sweet but apologize if it gets a bit rambly along the way. Here goes...

Over the past two years, I've worked diligently to better myself and my health through weight loss and exercise. Along the way, I dropped 65 pounds but re-gained 40 after a scary health setback last summer. I've recently been cleared to resume my goals and have managed to say goodbye to 12 of those re-gained pounds! Best of all, I'm off my medication and feeling on top of the world. I'm still 65 pounds from my goal weight but with each passing day, that number is shrinking and so am I! :cool1:

Lately I've felt compelled to raise the bar and challenge myself. A co-worker suggested I look into the PHM and at first, I thought she was out of her mind. Me? Run? Only in my dreams!

So here I sit, over a week has passed, and I'm having a serious change of heart. I WANT to do this! But CAN I?! Is it possible to go from a non-runner to tackling the PHM in less than 8 months?

My heart says absolutely but my mind says to slow down and really think about things. I have the time and desire to commit to a training schedule (eyeing Jeff Galloway's plan).

I'm ready for self-empowerment... I'm ready to challenge myself and break free of my comfort zone... I'm ready to prove to myself that I CAN do this! I AM capable! My dreams have been filled with PHM goodness the last two nights in a row. No joke, it's consuming my thoughts because I'm THAT passionate about it.

For the first time since becoming a mother four years ago, I'm ready to commit to myself. I haven't made a lot of time for myself lately and I'm feeling there's no better time than NOW to change that. I can already visualize myself crossing the finish line and running up to my husband and daughter with a medal around my neck.

Here is where my problem lies... I have cold feet about pulling the trigger on registration. The money is there, the desire is there. But so is the doubt. And I'm not even sure what I'm doubting! I think it's just been SO long since I've committed to something solely for ME and it feels a bit awkward.

This is where I turn to you for advice and encouragement. Please share with me some words of encouragement, some personal stories, some advice. I'm all ears!

Thanks for reading and I'm sorry it got so long.

~Kelly

UPDATE: See page 2!

Way to go !!! I absolutely think you can do it ! You have a long time to train and worst case scenario you can walk most of it (at least this is what I keep telling myself :blush:) All you have to do is be able to keep each mile under 16 minutes.
I am in a similar boat, I have just started this journey, but I know that I want it enough to make it happen. I say go for it, because when you look back after you pass that finish line and realize how far you have come, you will be so thankful you did.

Of course you can do it. The only person stopping you is you! My suggestion is to pull the trigger and sign up. For me I know it's the best way to get me motivated. I target a race a few months out, sign up for it so I'm committed (nobody wants to lose money), and then train for it. The Wine and Dine last year was my first Half and I finished it with a bum knee that cut my training a lot shorter than it should have been.

As long as you are willing to put the training in (definitely recommend the Galloway plan) you can finish with no problem.

If you are worried about getting swept, you can check out my blog post below for some tips.

Run Disney: Tips for running without getting swept

Good luck and go for it! Get out…Get Healthy…Make new friends, and above all, enjoy the experience!

:hug: Thank you for the encouragement and instantaneous smile! Congrats to you on starting your journey as well. You are absolutely right, I will look back and be so thankful that I did this. Not only that, but it'll open the door for many more races to come.

Thank you, thank you TigerTown! I really, really want to do this and you're right, I am my only hurdle. Time to do as I desire and break free from the constraints of my own self doubt.

Running is about moving beyond your brain. Your body will do it if your mind steps aside. Pick a program (C25k, Galloway, etc.) and create a plan to follow-through. As you come across obstacles, identify the root challenge and move forward. Training isn't easy but you'll be successful!

You can DEFINITELY do this!!! Last year, I decided for my 40th birthday that I was going to run in the PHM. I started training before the actual training program date. I did two mile walk/runs, three to four times per week, so that I felt "ready" when it was time to do the Jeff Galloway plan.

The biggest motivator for me was plopping down that registration fee. It was the best decision I ever made. Now, I seriously drink the run Disney kool-aid -- I'm doing Tink and Wine and Dine in 2014!!!

You. Can. Do. It!!! Pixie dust to you! princess:

Get out of your head (stop thinking about it) and get out of your own way (just DO it!).
Register, and then print out the Jeff Galloway training plan and put it up on your fridge. I always have a hard copy up somewhere where I can "x" out each run as I do it.

The actual training schedule doesn't start for a few months, so get yourself started with a Couch 2 5K training program to give yourself a head start and some confidence if you want.

It's doable. When you get there on race day and see the runners of all shapes and sizes around you, you'll immediately be put at ease. This is such a non-threatening first half marathon, and such a fun and supportive environment. Just put in the training and you'll knock it out of the park.

But again... stop THINKING and start DOING!

Yes, you can do it. Here is a (hopefully) shortened version of my story. I am a Disney fanatic but running hater. I got it in my head last year that I wanted to do a Disney half since it's a Disney experience I have never done before. Well, I thought I'd be able to do the Food and Wine Festival Half last year but the budget didn't make it happen- but I am signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge for 2014. I started with the Galloway program and the very first run I did was 5 seconds of running and 55 seconds of walking for a mile. It was all I could handle but I made sure my overall time was under a 16 minute mile. That was in May 2012. I ran my first half that September using a 15 second run/45 second walk ratio and finished in 3 hours and 12 minutes- under Disney's 3:30 limit. Im March I ran another half marathon with a 4 minute run one minute walk ratio and finished in 2 hours and 58 minutes (yay! I broke the 3 hour barrier!)
In the last year I have lost 40 pounds- still have 35 to go to reach my goal weight- and my training has been going so well that I am now training to run the princess with no walk breaks. I don't want to belittle my own accomplishments, but please believe me when I say if I can do it, ANYONE can do it. It's a matter of sticking to a training program. It doesn't matter which one it is, just find the one that work with YOUR schedule, YOUR life, YOUR abilities. The best training is the one you are willing to do!
I know on these boards it is ver en vogue to have your first-ever half be at Disney, but I personally don't recommend it. I just think runDisney events are too expensive to go having no idea if you will be able to finish. Sign up for a local 10k or half in Oct or November so you can get a measure of where you are in your training, so you know what it feels like to be in a race, to give yourself time to adjust as you need before the Disney event.
But most of all, believe you can do it. Because you can! If you can dream it, you can do it, after all :)

The scariest thing--no matter what distance your first race is- is to register. I felt it 5 years ago when I registered for Minnie 15k without having run a mile. You take a deep breath, register and then realize that you have made a commitment. And that makes it easier, 'cause now you have the goal, the timing, and the instant community support.

You have plenty of time to get this done. And you are obviously motivated. So "just do it" !

Maura

PS. Total non sequitur....love your use of the word "palpable"!

I'll join the chorus of encouragement. You can most definitely do it! I ran my first half and then full marathon after commiting to it and that was 6 months before the half and 9 months before the full. I use the Galloway method and love it. As long as you stick to the training schedule, you will be ready by the time PHM rolls around.

Like everyone else has said, pull the trigger and register. I have found having a race that is already bought and paid for is a great motivator for me in my training. :thumbsup2

I have doubts and fears too. My heart was in it 110% but my brain was telling me I was crazy! But I knew that if I didn't sign up, I would regret it. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not a month from now but come February I would have been down right PO'ed at myself if I didn't sign up. I have talked to talk for 2 years, it was time to walk the walk.
Last summer we took the kids to Niagara Falls and DD was scared to go up on the Hurricane deck but she really wanted to go. We talked about Courage. Courage means being afraid of doing something but doing it anyway. At the last second she decided to have some courage and go up with her brothers. She was beaming because she was sooo proud of herself.

I needed courage to pull the trigger. DS16 pushed me into it. He knew I would regret not signing up.

You have the desire, you have the time, now you just need a little bit of faith in yourself.

ETA: I'm so crazy I signed up for the 1/2 and the 10K and we are signing up the whole family for the 5K too.

Remember the WISH motto
DLF > DNF >> DNS
Dead last finish, beats did not finish, which greatly trumps DID not start.

One of my favorite quotes (can't remember who said it) is:

"If you want to be the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."

Sounds like you already know what you want to do.....

Now DIG DEEP and go get it!!!!

Michele

Hi everyone! First and foremost, WOW, what a WONDERFUL group of encouraging and positive people. Thank you so so much for replying!

I snuck away for the afternoon to do some chores around the house and in the meantime, I was able to relax my mind and put some serious thought into whether or not this is for me. Turns out, the firing is burning brightly and I will be signing up tomorrow! I'm 99% sure I'll be selecting Cinderella as my princess as she has always been my favorite and she'll be quite symbolic to me as I enter this journey.

Again, THANK YOU so much to every single one of you who posted. This was just what I needed to gain that extra push. I can't wait to join the PHM thread and become an active member around here. :goodvibes

I will be working a 13-hour shift tomorrow but will update as soon as I register.

Hi everyone! First and foremost, WOW, what a WONDERFUL group of encouraging and positive people. Thank you so so much for replying!

I snuck away for the afternoon to do some chores around the house and in the meantime, I was able to relax my mind and put some serious thought into whether or not this is for me. Turns out, the firing is burning brightly and I will be signing up tomorrow! I'm 99% sure I'll be selecting Cinderella as my princess as she has always been my favorite and she'll be quite symbolic to me as I enter this journey.

Again, THANK YOU so much to every single one of you who posted. This was just what I needed to gain that extra push. I can't wait to join the PHM thread and become an active member around here. :goodvibes

I will be working a 13-hour shift tomorrow but will update as soon as I register.

Fantastic, please do!

Of course you can do it. The only person stopping you is you! My suggestion is to pull the trigger and sign up. For me I know it's the best way to get me motivated. I target a race a few months out, sign up for it so I'm committed (nobody wants to lose money), and then train for it. The Wine and Dine last year was my first Half and I finished it with a bum knee that cut my training a lot shorter than it should have been.

As long as you are willing to put the training in (definitely recommend the Galloway plan) you can finish with no problem.

If you are worried about getting swept, you can check out my blog post below for some tips.

Run Disney: Tips for running without getting swept

Good luck and go for it! Get out…Get Healthy…Make new friends, and above all, enjoy the experience!

EXCELLENT response! My story is similar although I only had about 5 pounds extra weight.

Definitely the Galloway program and I really liked the book (recommended on DISboards) "Marathoning for Mortals."

OP: as a beginning runner, I wanted to add one more thing: it shocked the heck out of me how much I enjoy running.

I am in my 50's and have never been a runner. I was even the slowest kid in my 5th grade class.

Years ago, I started a walking program to increase my ability to enjoy my trips to Disney. I was having issues expanding that program and decided to try a couch to 5K program. Again, it shocked the heck out of me that I much preferred doing run/walk/run intervals to straight walking.

I even brought my running shoes with us to WDW and did some runs even though we did plenty of walking each day. I used to refer to people that did that as "crazy."

I am still a rank beginner with my longest run to date at 2.5 miles. I'm on the sidelines now due to recent open heart surgery and it may be several months before I can even lace up the running shoes. But I am hanging in there and looking forward to the day I can begin race training.

Best of luck to you. -- Suzanne

For the first time since becoming a mother four years ago, I'm ready to commit to myself. I haven't made a lot of time for myself lately and I'm feeling there's no better time than NOW to change that. I can already visualize myself crossing the finish line and running up to my husband and daughter with a medal around my neck.

Here is where my problem lies... I have cold feet about pulling the trigger on registration. The money is there, the desire is there. But so is the doubt. And I'm not even sure what I'm doubting! I think it's just been SO long since I've committed to something solely for ME and it feels a bit awkward.

You can do it! But you don't have to think of it as something that you are doing just for YOU. You will also be setting a wonderful example for your daughter. You will be showing her how to be active and healthy and take care of herself. She will start to look forward to running Disney races with you. My daughter is 23 and we have run several 5ks and two 10ks together. (Well, we start together, then she leaves me in the dust!) We will be running our first half marathon this year (the PHM) along with her dad, my dh.

UPDATE:

Thank you to EVERYONE who responded to my post from yesterday. I truly appreciate and respect your stories, advice, and kind words and am VERY EXCITED to say I am officially registered!

I feel a huge sense of relief now that I've committed. Those of you who said I'll feel much better after registering, you were 100% right. Wow!

Next up, a proper pair of running shoes and Jeff Galloway's book to help me get started... :woohoo:

Again, thank you ALL! I'll definitely stick around the boards for the long term -- this is a wonderful place to be. :goodvibes Many blessings to everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter