Please sit still

bratray

<font color=red>Disney Planning Addict<br><font co
Hello;

My DS will almost be 4 by the time we go to "paradise" DS has never, ever been on a plane before (I'm starting to sweat already) Please, can anyone give me any advise on how to keep this busy, curious,
hands -on and sometimes moody child, halfway amused for 3 hours!!

Thanks

Lisa:eek:

load up a backpack with the following:

Gum, Suckers, or Earplanes
Coloring books
Crayons
Travel Edition Games (such as guess who, or card games like go fish)
Snacks
Picture books
Anything special, such as a favorite blankie or stuffed animal
Little Toys

that's all I can think of right now!

We're leaving Sat.. I got 'special' coloring books and Craylola
had these Color Wonder travel packs (special paper, and markers that are white and only show up on color paper). Got at Kohls, we've never had these before so this will be a suprise,

http://www.crayola.com/store/showde...20&St3=-58324115&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=515&DID=6

1/2 price at Kohls (3.99 eac).

Got some new ones for .99c at Big Lots.

Got baby bottle pops, and sucker 'rings'. Lots of snacks too

I'll let ya know how it goes, this is the first time travelling on plane with 3 and 4 yr old.

Still debating on if we're taking carseat on plane. Want to, but DH doesn't.

Got a double lightweight stroller. too. Graco duro rider.

At that age my dd loved the mini magna doodle and paint with water - painted the entire trip!

TJ

We flew from Houston in late April with our almost 3-yr-old son and he fell asleep. Maybe yours will take a nap? We also packed a mini Magna Doodle for him just in case.

Our 3 yr. old was easily entertained with snacks, sticker books, and a mini Etch-a-Sketch. We also packed her Pooh bear, which she sleeps with, and she took a nice nap with him in her car seat.

We travel via plane at least 4-5 times a year. All our flights are 4 hours or more. He is four right now so about the same age. Here is what I do ...

Take a bag just for him. I let him choose what toys he would like to bring on the plane and then we narrow it down with my input being the final.:D I always screen for the "noise" factor, also.

Typically he decides to bring a couple rescue heroes as well as three or four of his Buzz Lightyear little characters. He also has some small metal airplanes (the size of hot wheels) and a couple small hot wheels cars. All these things are pretty small and don't take up a lot of room. I keep them separate by using freezer weight zip loc bags. He can't play with one until the one he is playing with is put back in the ziploc and then in the bag. Helps us keep things in one place. I also bring along a small magna doodle board. On this we practice writing his words and numbers. Works great.

In addition, I select 5-7 lightweight (paper) books. He really likes Clifford, Franklin and that type of thing. On take off and landings...our routine is to read the books. He drinks his juice (which I put in a tippy cup - so that he has to suck on it as the plane goes up - helps with the ear pressure) and I read books to him. On landing we do the same thing but as the plane touches down we practice counting how long it takes for the wheels to hit the runway.

Finally, I bring several different coloring books and colored pencils (they aren't as messy as crayons) as well as preschool writing/number books with mazes, etc. Keeps him occupied for awhile.

While I know this sounds like a lot what I found was that he would spend about 10-15 minutes with one thing and then was ready to move on to the next thing. We recycled toys pretty often but it keeps him busy and quiet. One of my biggest concerns is that he not disturbed other passengers around him by crying, kicking the seat, bumping into them, etc. I found that having these things helps. And, they all fit in his bag along with his blanket, blue bear and of course, snacks. He seldom likes what they have on the plane.

Having said all that, the last trip I brought along our laptop computer with earphones. I also brought a couple of his favorite computer games and a movie. This worked great. He played that for about 2 hours (we have 2 batteries). And, to top things off, I brought his GameBoy Advance (with earphones) and he loved playing that. Kept him quite busy. I know this is the easy way out but whatever works - within reason - is fine by me.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

One more thing. Plastic zip loc bags - freezer weight - work great for trash, etc. while on the plane. I always carry about 10 of them when traveling. They are wonderful for many, many things...especially with kids.

My kids are never allowed to have that slimy Gak stuff, except on planes. That goo they sell in a cup with a lid that you can play with like playdough but doesn't fall apart like playdough. You just squish it through your fingers and stuff. Sometimes the Gak has spiders in it. Just make sure he keeps it out of his hair. It does seem to stick to hair but comes out pretty easily.

:jester: thanks everyone for the great suggestions!! DS will be getting a gameboy for X-mas so I guess I will be packing this too. I just hope he isn't scared of the loud noise the plane makes. I too am worried about whether to take the car seat on the plane or just let them run it through with the luggage?? DS is 41 inches, will he be able to see out the plane window without the carseat??? Ahhh so many questions, hope no one is sick of me yet- i just love to plan!!

Lisa

If he's in a booster it's most likely not approved for use in an airplane. If he's still in a 5 point harness, you could use the carseat on the airplane. I haven't flown with ds since he's been old enough to have to make a choice. I've heard that lots of people like to use them because it keeps their kids "in place";)

I found a cool toy at an Eckerd drug store... My DD is 2 1/2 and now into Blues Clues. I was killing time one day in Eckerd. They had a Blues Clues Notebook set. It is one of those pressure sensitive drawing boards, but is mounted in a hard plastic casing and has a thicker upper cover than the dime store version. It also has 4 stamps that snap into the back. Included in them are "X" and "O" to play tic-tac-toe with. It has a pencil thing that is attached on a string. My DD can play with it for a long time. First she'll draw and stamp for a while, then we can play games, including guess what Mommy is drawing, do counting, shapes, etc and then I'll draw for her watever she asks. It is cool because it is self contained, has the place for the stamps, a pencil holder... So it is travel friendly. It was only $7 at the drug store, so I'd guess it would be even less in Target or Wal-Mart. That will be going on the plane with us!

And we will always take her carseat on the plane, even at 2 she can easily undo her seatbelt and that was a total nightmare.

We're on the fence about the car seat on the plane as well.
Older girl 42 inches and think she'll not want the carseat. The lil one is 3 and think she'll be better off in a carseat... but what I have learned is to do the same for both kids,.... so think we'll take the carseat on the plane.

I'm so confused though.. heard pro's and con's about it. Leaning toward bringing BOTH carseats on the plane....

AGGhh,, I think I'm driving myself crazy!

don't worry, he will do better than expected. we have twins and they have been on many plane rides (about three or four). they will be almost four too; we plan on flying for our trip to disney in november. they take turns sitting at the window because they love take off and landing. we bring coloring book and about four colors, a few snacks for take off, and a couple of books. he will probably do better than you will. good luck.

My son is 42 inches now and can just barely see out the window of the airplane. We don't do a car seat now. And, haven't done one, even when he was little. Lots of pros and cons on both sides but it worked not to do one for us.

Be sure to check with the airline if your child is 4. Depends what type of seat she is in as to whether they will allow you to fly with it. If they are over 40 pounds and out of the 5 point harness I'm not sure you can have them sit in one...but I'm not sure. Individual airlines might be different, too. I've seen several parents have to gate check the car seat/booster as it didn't meet FAA requirements.

I think kids, if parents are prepared, do much better than we think they will. One more hint about the gameboy. It is hard to hear it on the airplane unless it is really loud so we bought earphones for our son to use. They fold up and fit right in the gameboy case so they travel well. Also, if you are traveling in the evening you may want to buy a gameboy light. It really does brighten the screen up and make it easier for them to see.

My DD is turning 3 a week before our trip, so she's getting travel toys for her bday. :-) I've gotten her a Pooh View Master and some extra reels (Monsters Inc, Tarzan, etc.) and a CandyLand electronic game. She already has a travel Magna Doodle. I'm going to get her some kind of plastic reusable sticker thing, too. She'll be in her booster seat (5 point harness kind) so the tray table won't work. I made her a little "table" out of foam board; I'll attach it to the arms of her seat somehow.

BTW, I used some more of the foam board to make myself a lap board for my laptop. It's small enough to fit in the backpack I carry my laptop in, and just big enough to provide some insulation between my (hot!) laptop and my legs, plus some extra so I can use my regular mouse instead of the integrated laptop mouse.

I just picked up a very inexpensive CD player for $20 and made my son a CD of Disney music, cartoon theme songs, The Wiggles, and Thomas the Tank Engine. I was able to put 90 minutes of songs on each CD and it's great! We've tested them in the car and he gets a kick out of hearing each song. I downloaded most of the songs off of the Internet, including all of the Disney show songs like Bear in the Big Blue House, Rolie Poly Olie, Stanley, etc... PBS and Nickelodeon, movie songs from Disney movies like Toy Story & The Little Mermaid, etc... He should be content for a few hours listening to "his" music while coloring or playing small travel games. I bet we don't hear a peep out of him during the whole plane ride. (Unless he starts belting out, "You've got a friend in me.....") :)

Fox & Hound -
And if he does ... fellow passengers, with any sense of humor, will see the humor in it ... and if they don't ... you could ask them if they would prefer crying....:D Or you could have him kick their seats to the beat of the music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter