Pls help me decide

JMLBrats

DIS Veteran
Okay so we are a family of five, the kids are 13, 12 and 9. We are doing a short trip (4 nights), usually we stay for at least 7. Anyway, I am trying to save up points for our next trip so I am thinking of having us stay in one of the studios that can fit 5. (yes, I Know there's only 2 options for that and hard to get)

Am I insane? My kids do get along really well for the most part and I think I am the one that gets a little crazy about needing "space" after a hot hectic day in the park but I am trying to not use a bunch of points...

We usually stay in a 1 bedroom and are quite comfortable with that.

Anyway, has anyone ever done this with teens-obviously there are plenty of regular hotel rooms (not at Disney) that accommodate 5 and we have stayed in 1 room before but it's usually only for 1 or 2 nites.

Please share your opinions from experience and talk me into one or the other. As far as our style of parks goes, we will spend a lot of time in the parks or at the pool-we won't be cooking on this trip either....

It sounds reasonable in theory (I think) but will I get there and regret the decision?

Going nuts trying to decide!

I view it this way, you will be there for a short time, and you are in WDW. You do what you have to do to get there, thats first and foremost:goodvibes, and secondly, explain to all, we are going in closer quarters, but this is the only way we can make it work. Got a feeling if they are like my bunch, they will make it work! Good luck in your decision:)

Okay so we are a family of five, the kids are 13, 12 and 9. We are doing a short trip (4 nights), usually we stay for at least 7. Anyway, I am trying to save up points for our next trip so I am thinking of having us stay in one of the studios that can fit 5. (yes, I Know there's only 2 options for that and hard to get)

Am I insane? My kids do get along really well for the most part and I think I am the one that gets a little crazy about needing "space" after a hot hectic day in the park but I am trying to not use a bunch of points...

We usually stay in a 1 bedroom and are quite comfortable with that.

Anyway, has anyone ever done this with teens-obviously there are plenty of regular hotel rooms (not at Disney) that accommodate 5 and we have stayed in 1 room before but it's usually only for 1 or 2 nites.

Please share your opinions from experience and talk me into one or the other. As far as our style of parks goes, we will spend a lot of time in the parks or at the pool-we won't be cooking on this trip either....

It sounds reasonable in theory (I think) but will I get there and regret the decision?

Going nuts trying to decide!

Explain that you would like to take them along but that you can only afford a smaller room so you expect them to behave. If they don't, they won't be invited back next time.

:earsboy: Bill

Explain that you would like to take them along but that you can only afford a smaller room so you expect them to behave. If they don't, they won't be invited back next time.

:earsboy: Bill

My kids aren't complaining-believe me! They don't care that much! I'm the one trying to decide what would be best. (Anyway, we don't travel without them so that threat wouldn't really hold water...)
But they are great kids-no behavior problems.
Maybe I explained myself wrong...
This is about ME trying to decide what the best decision for our family would be. There is no one complaining.

I'm sure it is doable. But I would never do it. There is essentially no privacy. It would drive me crazy. After a long day the last thing I would want is to be stuck in the same room, with one tv and no where else to go. I would want to kill myself and or my kids.

We are a family of only 3 but still typically stay in a 1 BR as we like our space as well. We were running low on points after our first trip to Aulani so spent last week in a lake view studio at BLT. Even with just 3 of us we felt cramped - little space for luggage and only one bathroom made for some stressful mornings. Might you have enough points for a 1 BR at OKW or a resort that requires fewer points? The extra bathroom space might be worth it with 3 kids.

Another option might be to rent enough points to make up the difference.

I would absolutely do it. Sure it may be more crowded than you are used to but you get to be at WDW!! I say go for it and have fun!!

By the way, my teenage son has slept on the Murphy beds at both VWL and VGF and had zero issues. He actually said he liked them.

I have never done it. For 4 nights in your situation, I might go for it. If it does not work out, you won't do it again. I know someone who has done it and was fine with it.

I would absolutely do it. Sure it may be more crowded than you are used to but you get to be at WDW!! I say go for it and have fun!!

By the way, my teenage son has slept on the Murphy beds at both VWL and VGF and had zero issues. He actually said he liked them.

That's great to hear because I was worried that the murphy beds might be too small.

We are a family of only 3 but still typically stay in a 1 BR as we like our space as well. We were running low on points after our first trip to Aulani so spent last week in a lake view studio at BLT. Even with just 3 of us we felt cramped - little space for luggage and only one bathroom made for some stressful mornings. Might you have enough points for a 1 BR at OKW or a resort that requires fewer points? The extra bathroom space might be worth it with 3 kids.

Another option might be to rent enough points to make up the difference.

I think that's the only thing I am really worried about-space for all our luggage-but I will just have to pack efficiently and try to organize the room as soon as we get there so it doesn't get out of control.

For me, it would be an issue of sleep. I don't sleep well in the same room as my kids, even after long days at the parks. We stayed in a bunkbed room at WL a few years ago, and that's the trip we bought into DVC ;). I'd choose a 1bd at OKW over a studio at GFV or VWL for just that reason, but that's personal preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter