PO Boat transportation stopping, more..

If Jaded YoHo were responding, He'd say it was because all those moderates are money pits. Too expensive to appeal to the Allstars crowd and not good enough for the deluxe crowd. The people in the middle are jumping ship the fastest.

Its upsetting to me, but hey, I'm a deluxe person. The Day they close the Polynesian is probably the day they close Disneyworld.

Closed down just like ‘Shades of Green’…..

I wonder if I might soon be able to use all those Marriott Points I’ve been saving up….

I don't care for the Allstars but can't quite afford the normal pricing of the deluxes. If I can't get a good deal at the deluxes, it has to be offsite for me without the moderates. I'm sure that I couldn't be the only one in this situation. :(

I read the Shades of Green comment as saying that the PO situation is like when Shades of Green was closed and converted to Shades of Green if that makes any sense. Shades of Green should be safe since Disney isn't running it. :rolleyes:

Before we joined DVC in 1997, we almost always stayed at Port Orleans or Dixie Landings. We tried All-Stars twice and were not impressed, and thought CB was just okay. PO became our favorite because of the size, Bonfamilles, the pool and the boat to DD. It's too bad that Ei$ner and company insisted on their massive hotel expansion when anyone could see the parks were being sadly neglected, but that's another story. I, too, feel badly for all the CM's who have lost their jobs at PO because they were truly part of what made the resort experience there magical.

There's a character or two over there that'll really make you appreciate the relatively minor psychotics that make up our own little clique.
Boy is this ever true...
I gave up debating with bicker in favor of beating my head against a concrete wall. It's just as painful but I may someday actually get through...

Don't Discount bicker, I've found that what you need to understand about him is that he likes facts and if you don't have reaL facts, then he won't let you "win."

I would love to meet him in person. I think it would be very interesting.

He has a surprising lack of passion about the subjects discussed here.

Like he's Mr. Spock.

The CM said POFQ was following the same path as the resort before Shades of Green. She stated that was her opinion as to what was going to happen.

Also, from what the boat driver stated to my DH, all boats except those that are the only transportation to the parks, are being shutdown. The CM at the front desk stated there were three categories of boats (DH didn't get a full understanding of this) and that only one category would be up and "floating". Take that anyway you want. Sounds like the two different people had the same info. I think you'll have to call OKW to find out for sure.

At any rate, all of this is very sad indeed...

As far as I know, the boat transportation between DD and OKW is paid for by DVC member dues, not Disney. If I understand the DVC "modus operandi", DVC management could decide to discontinue the boat service without approval from the members. However, I would be very surprised if they did that without some kind of member survey - the boat is very popular with members.

Originally posted by YoHo
As I recall, the boat cuts were a rumour based on the low water levels. it never happened

I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but the numbers of boats on 7 seas / bay lake were reduced pre-Sept. 11 (we were on a trip that ended on Sept. 10). For example, instead of a separate green flag boat and orange flag boat for wilderness lodge and ft. wilderness, there is now an orange and green striped flagged boat that services both. None of the overall routes were cut (each resort -> MK, cont. - ft. wilderness - wilderness lodge) as rumored, but the total were cut and combined (polly and gf -> mk at some times). It may be more technically correct to say that it was not a cut, but that it wasn't increased during the summer from the off season number of routes.

DR

I have to confirm the cut back on the boat t/from the WL. Only once did we get a direct boat to MK from WL. Usually we got the combined boat, which there were two of, which ran in opposite directions, ie. MK, FW, WL, MK and MK, WL, FW, MK. Last year I remembered the direct boat, this year none, I was a little disappointed, but it didn't put a damper on my trip.

You can add to the list of cutbacks and closings with the Bus Stop at Downtown Disney
West side which is also Now Closed. now you must get off the bus at Pleasure Island and walk to West Side from there.

Disney saves on the cost of running Buses on the Downtown Disney route by getting rid of the West-Side stop and by having one less stop on each route Disney saves on the amount of time needed to do each route, this will allow disney to take away at least one bus on some of the bus routes that would normaly go to Downtown Disney WestSide. Look for more possible cutbacks after the Thanksgiving Holiday in Disney Transportation.

:mad:

I think we can all understand cut backs. But if Disney keeps on Eliminating services, resorts, etc, IMHO guests will start vacationing elsewhere. They should be going the extra mile to bring Guests Back. Not tick off the Guests they have so they don't want to return.
Gee -- I've got an idea -- maybe they could deduct some major $ from Eisner's bonus!:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter