• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Points Rented, now I am stuck with the bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the rentee to pay the bill. I do beleive it was an honest mistake followed by some hard times. She finally called MS Accounting and paid the bill with a credit card.

That's great!
Bobbi

Glad to hear that this worked out in your favor in the end!

:cool1: So glad it worked out! Part of the reason we eventually bought DVC was to 3 stays where we were able to rent points from members.

Thank goodness it worked out. I have renters at SSR right now, so I was getting a little nervous reading this thread.

Nothing stops it, short of disallowing room charges, or running the charges through more frequently.

Disney resorts face this all the time. Freddie the Fraudster checks in, and puts a card on his account. Disney puts a hold on the card, and the hold succeeds, but no charges are incurred until the guest either checks out, or hits their resort limit (ranges from $500-$1500, depending on resort category).

Freddie then calls his bank, and says "I lost my card." The card gets cancelled. But, Disney doesn't know this yet, and it will be days before they ever put a charge on the card.

Freddie can use express check-out, because he has a card on file. Disney runs the card, finds it fails, and does whatever they can do to recover the money at the lowest possible cost. In this case, that's freezing the DVC Member's account. Disney doesn't care who pays them. They care only that they get paid.

In the non-DVC resorts, my guess is that Disney just builds in a certain level of expected fraudulent charges into their business plan, and sets room rates accordingly. At some level, it's cheaper just to let a few hundred dollars go than to spend a lot more pursuing Freddy and his ilk. That's also why the room charge limits vary by resort class---to tie the risk exposure to room rates.

I am truely amazed at what some would go through to "get something for nothing"!! I just couldn't even imagine!!! It really does put a bad taste in the owner's mouth to not rent out their points. I am a first time renter and I would/could never ever dream up something like that. How awful!!

The comments over and over here and on other boards about not renting out points saddens me. First of all that people would stoop so low as to defraud a Disney-file!!! And second that by doing so it leaves a sour taste for everyone and makes it harder for us newbies to find rental points. :scared: I hate crooks and people who would do this are crooks. Best of luck to all of you in recovery lost monies.:wave2:

Wow, that stinks. It does seem like it should be possible to decline a credit card being used on your reservation, or at least some policy that you can request they prove the card, since another guest than you is staying in that room.
I am researching because I am a dvc member and need extra points this year for a three bedroom villa. This all seems scary to me, and think I may just stay with the cash difference quote from disney, as it is not due till I arrive. Or possibly transfer of points is more secure for everyone when you don't know the party you are intrusting with your resources. SO SORRY you got scorched!
cr

I don't understand your response, are you afraid you won't pay your bill? If this is your reservation and you are "renting" a portion of the points you need for your stay than the DVC member you rent from would be the one incurring the responsibility for your acts of omission when using their points.

I want to add that although Disney has worded the contracts to specifically address this type of situation (not in the members favor) I still believe Disney's responsibility supersedes the responsibility of the member when they agree to add a credit card to a DVC reservation at check-in. Disney has now become the responsible party. They have now entered into a contract with the party in regards to the extension of credit - you have not. I would not accept a hold on my account.

I want to add that although Disney has worded the contracts to specifically address this type of situation (not in the members favor) I still believe Disney's responsibility supersedes the responsibility of the member when they agree to add a credit card to a DVC reservation at check-in. Disney has now become the responsible party. They have now entered into a contract with the party in regards to the extension of credit - you have not. I would not accept a hold on my account.

And just what could you do about it? Contact a lawyer who would likely charge more than the amount due?

If you know the DVC contract is worded that way, then you certainly have a choice as to whether or not you rent your points. By renting them in the first place, under the wording of the contract, knowing that the ability to charge will be offered, aren't you also knowingly assuming that risk? You are renting a reservation, made with your points, under the same terms as staying there yourself, correct. If under those terms they would offer the ability to room charge to you, then they would also offer the ability to your renter. If you presented a declined card, there would be a hold on your points, why would it be different if you rented the reservation and made a profit by doing so?

And just what could you do about it? Contact a lawyer who would likely charge more than the amount due?

If you know the DVC contract is worded that way, then you certainly have a choice as to whether or not you rent your points. By renting them in the first place, under the wording of the contract, knowing that the ability to charge will be offered, aren't you also knowingly assuming that risk? You are renting a reservation, made with your points, under the same terms as staying there yourself, correct. If under those terms they would offer the ability to room charge to you, then they would also offer the ability to your renter. If you presented a declined card, there would be a hold on your points, why would it be different if you rented the reservation and made a profit by doing so?

There are many ways to interpret what the DVC contract implies when it comes to member responsibility for a rented reservation. I am just pointing out that even though the wording in the contract implies your responsibility that does not negate the responsibility of Disney when it comes to recovering charges due to a situation like this. There are many avenues within Disney you can explore before having to enlist the assistance of an attorney.

I am just pointing out that even though the wording in the contract implies your responsibility that does not negate the responsibility of Disney when it comes to recovering charges due to a situation like this. There are many avenues within Disney you can explore before having to enlist the assistance of an attorney.

But it doesn't negate the responsibility of the owner, in any way, either. And nothing in the contract indicates that Disney would need to exhaust any or all possible avenues of collection before holding the DVC owner responsible.

It takes just a few bad people to make this rent / trade thing sound so scary. I bought DVC points because of the flexibility to rent it out what I don't use them.

Just a reminder for the casual reader -- this is NOT a new event; this thread is a little over a year old.

HI,

You don't have to use a credit card.
When I went in July, I told them
I wanted to pay cash and it was
accepted.
Cash is still king.

S

HI,

You don't have to use a credit card.
When I went in July, I told them
I wanted to pay cash and it was
accepted.
Cash is still king.

S

This is true, but if a person who is renting from you intends to scam you and Disney for their expenses, then of course they will use a credit card on the room key. There is nothing that can be done to stop the renters from using a credit card when they check in. It will be their choice.

This is true, but if a person who is renting from you intends to scam you and Disney for their expenses, then of course they will use a credit card on the room key. There is nothing that can be done to stop the renters from using a credit card when they check in. It will be their choice.

Yes, but why doesn't WDW check to see if the credit card on file is valid before they allow the person free range:confused3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter