Polynesian Cultural Center - Advice/Help

pam95

Mouseketeer
Looking for advice from those who've been to the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC). We will be traveling with two boys, ages 8 and 11, staying at Aulani. Is the PCC a worthwhile trip? Which package would you recommend? Also, if we stay for the Ha: Breath of Life show, how bad is the drive back to Aulani at that time of night (9pm)? TIA!

Depends on what time zone you are coming from really.

I've never taken my kids (now 18 and 20) to the PCC. I lived on Oahu and took guests twice, and moved to the East Coast 19 years ago. I've taken my kids back 10 times, starting when they were 3 and 5.

I've never actually taken them to a luau either; several years ago I did the Paradise Cove one, and I was falling asleep towards the end myself. We have a 6 hour time change, and I know my kids would definitely not make it through one at that age, never mind doing the PCC all day then the luau. The drive back is a bit of a hike, maybe 45 minutes at least. So you'd be getting back about 10pm. Thinking about bath and bedtime, my kids would be totally out.

We don't do a lot of tourist stuff, but I did take them years ago on the Atlantis sub ride that they enjoyed (and I had never done even living there). We also sometimes stop at Dole for a Dole Whip, which is super touristy, but we don't buy anything (save that for the flea market).

I think that's a long day and night, as I'd get to the PCC right when they opened if you want to see all the presentations in order. Only you know your kids, but mine would be asleep! And we do adjust to the time change quickly now, but are worn out by normal bedtime!

We're coming from the East Coast, and thinking of doing the PCC closer to the end of our trip after we've had time to adjust. DH seems to think it won't be a problem, but I'm skeptical.

DH and I went to the PCC many years ago. The villages were interesting (some more so than others). I remember it being very hot. We've been to Oahu a few times with the kids and each time I think about taking them, but part of the reason we don't end up going is my memories of the heat. I think they'll find it interesting and educational though (they are 5 and 8 now), so next time (don't know when :laughing:), I think we'll go.

We did take DS when he was 4 just to the Ha: Breath of Life show. There was a deal for dinner and show on the now defunct Amazon Local. We did Dole Plantation (train/maze), stopped to see turtles Laniakea Beach, had lunch at a shrimp truck, had some shaved ice, then went to the PCC for dinner and the show. It was a nice day. The dinner was...edible...but it was included. I thought the show was great - very moving. A luau show, but with a plot about family and the circle of life. DS liked the fire dancing. I'm not sure if there are any similar show only deals out there now though.

We went back to Waikiki, but there were no problems with traffic.

Even living on Oahu, just the PCC was a long day for me (and I was in my late 20's).

I'd either do the PCC all day, or the show, but even now I couldn't do both! But I've been so never will go back, it's a one (or two since I took two house guests) and done. Never did the show.

Traffic won't be the issue, but it is a long drive after a long day. To me, that is rough on vacation. I like to take it easy and enjoy more down time than many! I mean if you are going to be there for a long time, then yes, go for it, but if not, then not sure if that's all worth it. I'm going for a month next month. We have most of all down time booked (but we stay at the Marriott).

We took our kids last time (6,8, and 10 at the time) and they had a great time--got to fish, try to play the ukulele and start a fire in the traditional manner. Also loved the river show that highlights each island's culture. Was surprised to find they wanted to go back on our trip this summer. Did see Ha, but that part lost the kids. The luau (separate from Ha) was just ok, would do the luau elsewhere. Bottomline recommendation: Would go with your kids, but just to the center itself (not the add-on shows) and make it part of a North Shore day--combine with (as options): Kuala Ranch, Dole Plantation, shave ice in Haleiwa, or a North Shore Beach. There is also a nice botanical garden you can visit with a short hike to a small waterfall.

My DD was 10 on our trip last summer, and she absolutely loved it. We all really enjoyed it. I had seen some not so stellar reviews and knew it would be cheesy, but I had wanted to see it since I was a kid. We did not get there at opening, and really wished we had so we would have had some more time there. We stopped at the Dole Planation on the way there, and if we had it to do again, we would have skipped the Dole Plantation to get more time at the PCC. We did not get to see all of the shows.

We did the Ambassador luau package that included the Luau, show (HA) , and a guided small group tour. I would recommend that package. You were free to leave the tour and explore on your own if you did not want to stay with the tour. I thought we would probably do that as we are typically more explore on our own types, but we found that we really enjoyed the tour. The guide will teach you about the cultures, do activities with you, and take you to the shows and canoe pageant. Without the guide you would not have a group to do some of the games and activities which DD really enjoyed. We also learned a lot about the cultures represented from the guide. We thought the little shows were very entertaining. The guide knew which ones were the best since we could not do them all, and took us right up to good seats- he also got us to the canoe pageant on time to be on the front row benches.

We really enjoyed the Luau. The luau ends before it is time to enter the theatre for HA, so after the luau, you had your choice of a few different activities. DD is a theatre kid, so she chose a backstage tour of HA. She enjoyed it as she got to see the cast warming up and getting ready, the costume room, props etc.

We stayed for HA and we did really enjoy it. We got very good seats with the Ambassador luau package We felt like 90 minutes was just a little too long, especially after already attending the luau, but it is definitely worth seeing and the fire dance was fantastic.

The drive back to Aulani was fine. It is an easy drive and we did not run into any traffic after the show.

I think your boys are just the right age for it. If they enjoy learning about other cultures at all, I think they would probably enjoy it.

The Luau was fine, but the food choices were hard for a really picky eater. Ha was OK, but I think our son was too young to really get it. He was 7 when we went. We all enjoyed the villages and all of the stuff surrounding that. We did a VIP think, like @ktlm described, that included the tour guide, luau, and Ha. We liked the tour guide; they could skip the line on stuff or move you to the front of shows without a wait. It also included closer seats at Ha. We are thinking of going next summer and would probably do the PCC village part again, and maybe the luau. But we did Ha once and that was enough.

i loved it, kids loved it. quick money saving recommendation for you tho. if you rent, there's a coupon book in your car. regardless of which company, there's always a coupon for PCC that give you more $$$ off. find it and use it. otherwise, it's just money lost.

If you have a costco membership, the tickets to just get in (no show or meal) are considerably cheaper through them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter