• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pool cabanas at the GCH

Anyone have any pics of the cabanas at the GCH that they wouldn't mind sharing?
GCH has 4 cabanas:
gch_cabana_all.jpg
Each cabana has 2 lounge chairs and a patio table with 4 chairs:
gch_cabana_lounge.jpg
Inside the cabana there are 2 large chairs (sofa, love seat), phone (to order food), small fridge, towels:
gch_cabana_inside.jpg

The view from the cabanas toward the pool and VGC:
gch_cabana_view.jpg

What is the process of claiming your cabana? We're staying at DLH and have a cabana reserved at GCH in a couple weeks. My only concern is where do we check in on the morning of the rental and if it's inside the pool area, will we have an issue because we do not have GCH keys?
The sign on the cabanas instructs guests to inquire at Guest Services. Guest Services is inside the GCH lobby, near registration (very close to the cabanas).

Thank you so much, Nonsuch. That really helps!

Any idea how hard it is to book one? Are they all reserved in advance?

Thank you so much, Nonsuch. That really helps!

Any idea how hard it is to book one? Are they all reserved in advance?
During busy seasons, they can be all reserved in advance. For example, Labor Day weekend, I'd expect them to be book by now. But during the week, you could probably find one as a walk up. The Disneyland Hotel has 6 cabanas to rent and I think the Grand only has 4. I generally book at the 60 day mark just to be sure. We have one booked at the DLH in a week. Each cabana is for up to 6 people. We have 10 people, so we got 2 cabanas. I generally assign the kids to one, so the adults get the other!!

Can you even do that? I would double check, because I'm not sure you're allowed to rent a cabana to access a pool you're not otherwise entitled to use.
I read that you could in various threads so decided to ask when I was booking. We're staying for 8 nights so thought it would be nice to mix things up for a day.

The CM I spoke with was not sure so she asked a supervisor and came back and said it was not a problem and confirmed the reservation. I've since called in about my room reservation and they confirmed the cabana is reserved as well.

The sign on the cabanas instructs guests to inquire at Guest Services. Guest Services is inside the GCH lobby, near registration (very close to the cabanas).
Thank you. I think I'll stop by the Guest Service desk in advance just to be sure. I don't want any surprises. Thanks for the pics too.

It's getting close and my usual months of planning is being crammed into a couple days now. We talk about how we've been planning this trip for two years, but in reality booking a room, buying park tickets and keeping the trip a secret is hardly planning. :)

Inside the cabana there are 2 large chairs (sofa, love seat), phone (to order food), s
Does the phone order go to room service? I thought we would need to go to White Water Snacks to get food, which is fine, but that would be nice if we could just order from the cabana.

Does the phone order go to room service? I thought we would need to go to White Water Snacks to get food, which is fine, but that would be nice if we could just order from the cabana.

The phone is just a house phone. There are servers who handle the cabanas and from what I could tell they are exclusive to the cabanas, which is nice. We had a full day and were the only ones with a cabana in the AM, which meant the server was around whenever we wanted. In the PM when the other three were taken, it took a little longer to get service at times but overall it was not too bad of a wait.

We ended up with cabana #4 which is on the end closer to the larger pools. Perfect location although #1 isn't bad either as there is some open space to the right of that one where loungers can be setup for those who are not looking for shade.

The furniture is much nicer at GCH and they seem to have more space. Enough to have the round table between the loungers and the cabana itself.

Overall it was great to experience the GCH pool this way. However, even on a busy summer day, there is not much need to reserve for the morning session as the pools (seating) was not very busy until after lunch time. If I were to do a typical park day (early entry, pool break, back to the park in the evening) then renting one would be nice to make sure we have a good space. If I'm planning a complete pool day, I'm not sure I would do it again. Two days prior we spent most of the day at the DLH pool and simply went down around 10am and grabbed spots poolside for the remainder of the day and didn't feel like we were missing much.

Now for a gripe. At least 50% of the cabanas we witnessed were breaking the rules in terms of number of people. One cabana at DLH we witnessed ten different people filtering in and out of all day long. At times it was very overcrowded. One at the GCH had about the same. Granted, the vast amount of seating at GCH invites people to break the rules as there's room for 11 seated, but that's beside the point. I honestly didn't see the cabana hosts (not servers) doing much all day except help move more loungers over to the group exceeding the maximum number of people.

Finally, the group next to us was staying at PPH and were delayed for their afternoon reservation showing up around 4pm. It demonstrated two things. One, they seem to let PPH guests rent cabanas so as long as you're staying at one of the properties, it's worth inquiring. Second, scheduling on arrival day seems a bit risky as air or road delays could be very costly.

We are thinking of booking a cabana on the day we check out of our room. Are there any changing facilities in the pool area? Thanks!

Thanks for the changing area info and pictures!!! We did end up booking a cabana for a Saturday morning in June. I am wondering if we should keep it as a luxury or if we won't need it and should cancel. Any thoughts would be really helpful! Thank you!

Thanks for the changing area info and pictures!!! We did end up booking a cabana for a Saturday morning in June. I am wondering if we should keep it as a luxury or if we won't need it and should cancel. Any thoughts would be really helpful! Thank you!
We really enjoy the cabanas at the DLH (even when staying at the GCH), so my experience is that they are great for what we like at that pool (keeping eyes on the kids while relaxing adult-style). At the GCH pool, I think their placement is less than ideal. If they were facing the redwood pool instead of the little play pool, I think they would be a better value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter