pool hopping

jagson

Mouseketeer
why was pool hopping at akv and bcv banned? has this always been? if an akv or bcv dvc'er, are they allowed to use the other dvc pools? i knew of the ban when i bought into ssr, but just wanted the history of that restriction. it wasn't a concern at the time. did they pay more for their membership? i was not offered membership at either of those facilities. can one switch home resorts to one of them?

It has always been banned at AKL to protect the animals (to keep down the number of people). I think it was allowed at SAB before they opened the BCV's. I remember going over a couple of times while staying at the BWV's but I also remember at least one time being because the Clown Pool slide was closed so we were allowed to use SAB.

In order to switch resorts that you own, you would have to sell your contract and buy a new one at the other resort. I purchased BCV so that I could make sure and always have access to SAB.

HBC

I think it was just a fact that with the addition of the villas the pool at the Beach Club was just too close to capacity too often. Those of us who have stayed there can say that even without pool hopping that pool can be very crowded and very hard to find chairs etc.

I think that any new resort built will not have pool hopping. I think this is a can of worms Disney would love to close, but.....

When you purchased there was no AK villas so you didn't miss anything that the rest of had a chance to buy. If you want it, rumor is AK goes no sale 3/1. Line up with the rest of us.

So do you have to be a BCV member to use SAB?

Or if you are lucky enough to get BCV at the 7 month window are you granted permission to use SAB?

Or is it if you are a non-BCV member staying at BCV you can only use the villa pool?

Just curious. We are looking at becoming DVC members and I know we'd like to try for BCV at some point.

Thanks.

So do you have to be a BCV member to use SAB?

Or if you are lucky enough to get BCV at the 7 month window are you granted permission to use SAB?

Or is it if you are a non-BCV member staying at BCV you can only use the villa pool?

Just curious. We are looking at becoming DVC members and I know we'd like to try for BCV at some point.

Thanks.

If you are staying at BCV you can use SAB, you don't need permission. They don't care where you officially own at. You just can't stay at OKW and use SAB for example.

As noted, Uzima Pool at AKL has never allowed pool hopping and SAB became off-limits when BCV opened. Both are available to guests staying at those resorts - whether paying cash or using points - so DVC members staying there on points may use those pools regardless what their Home Resort may be.

Enjoy!

Carol,

Thanks for the clarification.

I was a little confused by HBC's comment of buying at BCV to guarantee SAB usage.

If you own BCV and stay, lets say at SSR, can you go to SAB then? That would be a nice perk for owning BCV.

Carol,

Thanks for the clarification.

I was a little confused by HBC's comment of buying at BCV to guarantee SAB usage.

If you own BCV and stay, lets say at SSR, can you go to SAB then? That would be a nice perk for owning BCV.

No - unless you have a valid room ID for YC/BC/BCV you won't be allowed to pool hop at SAB. It is reserved only for guests staying at one of those resorts. Owners have no status at the resort except when staying there as a guest.

It has always been banned at AKL to protect the animals (to keep down the number of people). I think it was allowed at SAB before they opened the BCV's. I remember going over a couple of times while staying at the BWV's but I also remember at least one time being because the Clown Pool slide was closed so we were allowed to use SAB.

In order to switch resorts that you own, you would have to sell your contract and buy a new one at the other resort. I purchased BCV so that I could make sure and always have access to SAB.

HBC
to switch to bcv would i go thru dvc and request a trade to bcv, or sale my membership on the open market and then purchase bcv? would i receive the same amount of points, or would it be adjusted , since ssr runs thru 2054? and would i be able to pool hop to other resorts, ie ssr, etc., if i switched to bcv? inquiring minds await the answer(s).

why was pool hopping at akv and bcv banned? has this always been? if an akv or bcv dvc'er, are they allowed to use the other dvc pools? i knew of the ban when i bought into ssr, but just wanted the history of that restriction. it wasn't a concern at the time. did they pay more for their membership? i was not offered membership at either of those facilities. can one switch home resorts to one of them?
As noted it's a function of staying there not owning. BCV owners that stay elsewhere can't pool hop there either. I don't think your other question was answered, if so I missed it, but yes members that stay at BCV can pool hop to your resort at the same time you cannot PH to where they are staying at BCV/SAB.

Well, if they'd stop letting the animals in the pool it wouldn't be a problem anymore, would it!

It's especially annoying when the animals steal the pool towels.;)

Sorry for the confusion on the earlier post. We purchased BWV points so that we would always be able to use SAB while staying at the BCV if we chose to. We always loved SAB and used to stay at the BC then we purchased DVC and made a point of going over there from the BWV. When we found out that SAB would be closed to pool hopping, we purchased BCV to make sure that we could stay there and swim in SAB whenever we wanted (as long as our points held out).

HBC

My understanding was that the pool at AKL is already small for a resort of its size. This is because Disney wanted to use as much of the land for the animal areas as possible. The result was a very large resort room wise with a not so big pool hence no pool hopping.

FB

to switch to bcv would i go thru dvc and request a trade to bcv, or sale my membership on the open market and then purchase bcv? would i receive the same amount of points, or would it be adjusted , since ssr runs thru 2054? and would i be able to pool hop to other resorts, ie ssr, etc., if i switched to bcv? inquiring minds await the answer(s).

There actually is no such thing as "switching" resort contracts. You would have to sell your SSR contract on the open market and then purchase BCV either through resale or Disney if they have the points. They are completely independent transactions and would have nothing to do with each other. So your other question about point amounts is moot. Pool hopping is a DVC perk regardless of where you own.

Well, I'm still cross that they've banned pool hopping at Stromalong Bay. My kids grew up staying at Old Key West and going from pool to pool. Every trip would include a day at the Contemporary pool--sometimes we'd go parasailing; a day at the Polynesian which ALWAYS included water mice (or whatever they're called these days; and a day or two at Stormalong Bay. the kids loved to eat lunch at the Yacht Club Gallery and I thought Helen made particularly good pina colada's at the bar at the pool.
Ah, the good old days..showing my age again!
John

I miss being able to go over to SAB while staying at BWV's. When we first bought at BWV it was okay to use the pool. The times that we did go over there it was not very busy but we vacationed before spring break. We have noticed that the pool is not very busy at night at all. Our favorite pool as the kids have gotten older is the quiet pool at BWV's but just the fact that we can't use SAB makes us want to. Does anyone know if they are still enforcing the rule on not saving chairs at all the pools? I think that would make a big difference for people being able to come and enjoy the pool later in the afternoon.

Does anyone know if they are still enforcing the rule on not saving chairs at all the pools? I think that would make a big difference for people being able to come and enjoy the pool later in the afternoon.

We were at SAB over Christmas/New Years and we saw a lifeguard going around a picking up towels off the chairs that had them on there for a while. Often he/she would ask the person sitting nearby if he/she saw anyone. There still wasn't any room at the pool. It was very crowded.

HBC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter