• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

So, quick question. We are staying at Pop week after next and have a preferred room. None of the preferred rooms have been renovated correct? Wondering if I should request a renovated room over a preferred room.

So, quick question. We are staying at Pop week after next and have a preferred room. None of the preferred rooms have been renovated correct? Wondering if I should request a renovated room over a preferred room.
Correct. They are working on one building with preferred rooms now. Building 10, but it's not done. It basically just started, so will not be done in two weeks at the rate they've been going, plus Hurricane Irma.

I am still holding out hope it will be done by early November. I booked a standard room in case it's not. I personally prefer renovated standard over the non-renovated preferred.

Whether or not they have standard rooms available during your stay is another story.

I saw it! It also helped me feel a lot better about having to make the switch. for a couple of weeks I struggled to get excited...and then I saw those refurbished room pictures :love:. I think that my travel agent thought that I was nuts when I asked to change my reservation to a standard room when the price difference for 6 nights only saved me about $16 total but the new rooms are such an upgrade.

I was there too, I wasn't too happy when I realized that we weren't going to be able to afford a Suite, but after seeing some of the recent photos...I'm okay with it. LOL. My main concern was bed size since I'm married to a 6'3 giant. But since the new Pop rooms have Queens in them (And look SO much cleaner!) I'm totally okay with the switch. I hate losing the square footage since there will be 4 of us....but it's like hubby noted: "I don't know why you always book the fancy rooms on vacation, its not like we're ever in them much." ... He has a point. Plus, it dropped our price $2000, so that makes all the other 'extra' stuff I wanted to do on our vacation much more doable now. I'm quite excited again!

OT and I'm guessing you're well aware of this if it applies to you but erring on the side of caution. If you have a dining plan for your package, your dining credits will expire at midnight the day tour package ends. Didn't want you to lose any unused credits.

Thank you for the reminder! Our added night is actually our new arrival night, so we know we will be paying out of pocket the first day. I can imagine that would be frustrating if you didn't know that and lost a ton of dining credits!

When you try to pull down on the room selection tab does it not load any options and just say "select". If so you should try going into incognito mode from chrome.

That is what happens, but incognito mode doesn't fix it. Shrug. We'll see how it all pans out. At least my requests are in for the first night. Thanks for the suggestion!

I was there too, I wasn't too happy when I realized that we weren't going to be able to afford a Suite, but after seeing some of the recent photos...I'm okay with it. LOL. My main concern was bed size since I'm married to a 6'3 giant. But since the new Pop rooms have Queens in them (And look SO much cleaner!) I'm totally okay with the switch. I hate losing the square footage since there will be 4 of us....but it's like hubby noted: "I don't know why you always book the fancy rooms on vacation, its not like we're ever in them much." ... He has a point. Plus, it dropped our price $2000, so that makes all the other 'extra' stuff I wanted to do on our vacation much more doable now. I'm quite excited again!

It's been discussed here a bit so I wanted to pass on this tip-to maximize room space and your access to the table put the kids (or who ever your later/longer sleepers are in the standard bed. that way you can put up murphy bed more often and maximize space. The mattresses are the same and the bed quality is the same on both so dont put the kids on the murphy thinking it is the inferior bed. Also the murphy bed frame sticks out a bit further so people tend to knock into it so it is better to keep it up when ever possible.

Enjoy spending that $2000!

It's been discussed here a bit so I wanted to pass on this tip-to maximize room space and your access to the table put the kids (or who ever your later/longer sleepers are in the standard bed. that way you can put up murphy bed more often and maximize space. The mattresses are the same and the bed quality is the same on both so dont put the kids on the murphy thinking it is the inferior bed. Also the murphy bed frame sticks out a bit further so people tend to knock into it so it is better to keep it up when ever possible.

Enjoy spending that $2000!

I am sleeping in the Murphy and it's incredibly comfortable for an adult of slightly larger than average size. No complaints at all.

Without sounding too dramatic...I might actually die of suspense before I get to see what a Wheelchair accessible room looks like. Been waiting since first saw the demo room photos a year ago and in earnest since they started the renos in March and in stalking mode since June and in obsessed mode since building 7 opened.
Someone end my agony! Please!
we have a wheelchair room for early December. We also requested a refurb. room. I can sent you pics and/or a review if you like.

Last edited:
I saw it! It also helped me feel a lot better about having to make the switch. for a couple of weeks I struggled to get excited...and then I saw those refurbished room pictures :love:. I think that my travel agent thought that I was nuts when I asked to change my reservation to a standard room when the price difference for 6 nights only saved me about $16 total but the new rooms are such an upgrade.

Yay I'm glad my post helped you feel better about switching! The refurb rooms are seriously amazing!

I think for part of my stay I paid more for a standard room (that didn't have a discount) than a preferred room (that had a discount), just to get a refurb room!

I did the same so hopefully I will be in a refurbished room when I get there on Saturday!! :cool1: Thanks to everyone here for all the info, I wouldn't have had a clue how to get a refurbished room otherwise

Fingers crossed for a refurb room!

Correct. They are working on one building with preferred rooms now. Building 10, but it's not done. It basically just started, so will not be done in two weeks at the rate they've been going, plus Hurricane Irma.

I am still holding out hope it will be done by early November. I booked a standard room in case it's not. I personally prefer renovated standard over the non-renovated preferred.

Whether or not they have standard rooms available during your stay is another story.

Was at Pop last week and would walk past Building 10 a lot of nights, and it was in various stages of refurb. Could look into the rooms at night as they kept the lights on, and some rooms were still mainly in the old style, some rooms were already in the new style, and some rooms were in various stages of being torn apart. So nowhere close to done yet.

Pop with a preferred room that is refurbed would be sweet though - maybe on a future trip (next year)!

Riding out Irma at Pop right now. I'm in building 9. They stopped construction on #10 on Wednesday. We extended our trip until this Thursday (only $170 for 2 extra days). I'll report back to see if construction restarts while I am here. We only have light rain right now, and no word if/when there will be a curfew today (winds are not as strong as originally feared).
Construction on building #10 started back up today.

That is what happens, but incognito mode doesn't fix it. Shrug. We'll see how it all pans out. At least my requests are in for the first night. Thanks for the suggestion!

That was happening to me too. I ended up clicking on the "agree to terms and conditions" and then when I went back in all the room designations miraculously appeared!

We have a preferred room booked at Pop starting Nov 26. I would sure love a renovated room as my sister has severe asthma and does best without carpets. Do you think there is any chance some of the preferred rooms will be ready by then? Do they wait until the whole building is done before they allow guests to stay there? I think I would rather have a renovated room than a preferred room. Like others in this thread, I am doing a split stay with POR as I had some unexpected expenses also. :dogdance: Yes, vet bills but it's all worth it as he is all healed up.

Hello, we fly in from the UK on Oct 17th, and having booked it all about 18 months ago, we had no idea that POP would be getting refurbished, so we have paid for a Preferred Room. I was thinking about asking if we could move to a refurbed standard room, but my sister would rather stay in a preferred room to be close to facilities/bus stops etc, than a new room, so I think we will stick to preferred. I've accepted that none of the preferred rooms will be renovated by the time we check in, based on this thread.

So has anyone got any recommendations for their favourite preferred rooms at POP, or 'best' in terms of location to bus stops/food court and being nice and quiet? We have been to Disney a few times but have never stayed onsite in a Disney hotel, I have looked at Touring Plans for room info, but nothing beats the opinions of people who have actually stayed at POP multiple times!

Thanks

So has anyone got any recommendations for their favourite preferred rooms at POP, or 'best' in terms of location to bus stops/food court and being nice and quiet? We have been to Disney a few times but have never stayed onsite in a Disney hotel, I have looked at Touring Plans for room info, but nothing beats the opinions of people who have actually stayed at POP multiple times!

Thanks

We really like the 60's section as it's close to the main building and buses as well as the bridge to Art of Animation. (We love going to AoA's food court as well as an option for buses when Pop lines are long)

I have stayed at Pop over 20 times and never had an issue with noise in any room. To me the rooms that would be most susceptible to noise would be the preferred pool view rooms, especially those on the first floor as many people walk by those rooms. I always feel badly that those people paid top dollar for their rooms yet are the rooms that also receive the most foot traffic walking by.

Have a great trip! Once you've stayed onsite it might be hard to go back to offsite accommodations....but that's just me. :)

We really like the 60's section as it's close to the main building and buses as well as the bridge to Art of Animation. (We love going to AoA's food court as well as an option for buses when Pop lines are long)

I have stayed at Pop over 20 times and never had an issue with noise in any room. To me the rooms that would be most susceptible to noise would be the preferred pool view rooms, especially those on the first floor as many people walk by those rooms. I always feel badly that those people paid top dollar for their rooms yet are the rooms that also receive the most foot traffic walking by.

Have a great trip! Once you've stayed onsite it might be hard to go back to offsite accommodations....but that's just me. :)

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I agree we don't want ground floor (1st floor), or overlooking any pools, to minimise noise.
Being near to bridge to AoA sounds like a good idea, I already think their food choices sound more inspiring than POP!

Last time we came to WDW was FIFTEEN years ago (!), we would come every year or so with my parents and stay in a Villa, and Dad would drive everywhere, but he passed away a few years ago, and it's just me and my sister coming back to celebrate my 30th, and neither of us can drive so that's why we had to stay onsite this time.

There will be so many new things to see and do in WDW, and Universal, since we last visited, although I'm sad that Ellen and GMR closed at WDW, Splash will be down, and Dragon Challenge and Terminator will be closed in Universal before we could get there one last time. But we have SDMT, Soarin', Frozen, Toy Story Mania, Expedition Everest, Mission Space, and many other things that we have never experienced before because they didn't exist last time. Time to make some new memories :-)

Anyone else have a fave preferred room at POP for consideration?

So from what I have gathered, for my trip in November, I need to request a room in the 80s or 90s in order to have the best shot at an remodeled room? Are there other sections that should be safe to request that will be done by the start of November?

Thanks!
Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter