POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #9~November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got back Monday. Front desk we not enthusiastic! I was supposed to have a coupon book sent to my room, it never came. The concierge was fine with me waiting with them every other day for like 30 minutes while they tried to "locate" one. They never did.

Housekeeping was ok...left the lights in the bathroom on...the tv on a couple of times. I always lock my suitcase, so nothing was taken.

What I did find...cockroaches in the bathroom. Tiny flies almost like mosquitoes in the room...that didn't impress me at all.

I liked POP...it was good to come to sleep...but if i had to spend time in the room, i would not have been impressed at all!!

Last October housekeeping tried entering our room even with the Do not Disturb sign up. Fortunately we had the latch on so they couldn't get in. We were in the room trying to nap. I couldn't believe they tried entering! So don't assume they won't enter if you tell them not to.

We HATE Pop!!!! Last time we were there toe nail clippings on floor, hair in shower, when called housekeeping no one ever came. We've only had probs at Pop, Caribbean, AOA. We have since learned from Disney that they are all combined. There are several management teams with employees under them. Each team services several hotels. So chances are if you have probs with housekeeping at more than one hotel they are under the same team. A CM told me this so that I can quit getting disappointed. Glad for the tip, but how sad that they know this and do nothing

It is one week until we check in at POP!!! And only 3 days until we leave Adelaide, Australia :)

Quick question - we will be flying in at 5.45pm and are then catching the ME. What time does it get dark in Orlando? Will our first ever journey into the wonder of WDW be in the dark?

It will be dusk and you may get 30 minutes of light if you arrive on time.

It is one week until we check in at POP!!! And only 3 days until we leave Adelaide, Australia :)

Quick question - we will be flying in at 5.45pm and are then catching the ME. What time does it get dark in Orlando? Will our first ever journey into the wonder of WDW be in the dark?

Sorry this happened to you, we have stayed at POP regularly since they opened and never had a problem, even staying one night before our honeymoon cruise and we had wedding gifts, cash and checks, my gown, and loads of pricey items laying around (We got married in the WORLD) and didn't have any issues. Every now and then a bad seed ruins it for someone, but don't let it ruin it for everyone. Pop is one of our favorite resorts and this is including the mods and deluxes we have stayed in as well.

We HATE Pop!!!! Last time we were there toe nail clippings on floor, hair in shower, when called housekeeping no one ever came. We've only had probs at Pop, Caribbean, AOA. We have since learned from Disney that they are all combined. There are several management teams with employees under them. Each team services several hotels. So chances are if you have probs with housekeeping at more than one hotel they are under the same team. A CM told me this so that I can quit getting disappointed. Glad for the tip, but how sad that they know this and do nothing

You can get a good or bad housekeeper at any level of resort. In the last 10 years, we've stayed at Pop 3 times (7 nights each stay) and AoA once (also 7 nights) and we've had nothing but great housekeeping. One of our weeks at Pop we had superior housekeeping -- everything was cleaned spotlessly every day and we had towel animals and little "scenes" created from the kids' stuffed animals every single day.

A good friend of mine was at the Contemporary (MK view room) in August and had horrible housekeeping. She and her family aren't fussy -- they just expected the room to be spotless on the day they arrived and then tidied up on the days they were there. The room was "so-so" when they checked in (dirt in the corners in the bathroom, a few hairs in the sink, dust on some of the furniture, etc.) -- nothing majorly wrong, just not "sparkling" clean. They stopped at the front desk later that day and mentioned that the room wasn't as clean as they were expecting and requested that it get a "good" cleaning the next morning and that they would not unpack all their stuff until after it was cleaned again so it would be easier for housekeeping to wipe down all of the surfaces. It didn't get any better during the week and one day they came back to their room and while the room had been "cleaned", there was trash in one of the trash cans and it wasn't *their* trash (candy wrappers -- they didn't have any candy with them). She & her family have stayed there before and didn't have any problems.

It really just depends on "who" is cleaning your room at *any* resort (or any hotel in general -- not just at Disney).

This scares me. We are here now and left a laptop and three iPads in the room today. I did put the cash in the safe but now I'm terrified to go back to the room and find something missing

To follow up all our stuff was fine. We have been pleased so far with housekeeping. We were less than impressed with whoever is in charge of kids bed rails. We had them requested on our reservation. Arrived at hotel at 8. No rails. Called down said they would bring some up. Never arrived. Kids had to sleep up against us bc we were afraid they would fall off. Also our flight arrived at 6:30 and we didn't get our luggage until after 11. Not sure what the standard is at pop but at French quarter they are always in our room waiting when we arrive. We are only on day three of our trip so I'll have to report back later on how the rest of our trip goes.

To follow up all our stuff was fine. We have been pleased so far with housekeeping. We were less than impressed with whoever is in charge of kids bed rails. We had them requested on our reservation. Arrived at hotel at 8. No rails. Called down said they would bring some up. Never arrived. Kids had to sleep up against us bc we were afraid they would fall off. Also our flight arrived at 6:30 and we didn't get our luggage until after 11. Not sure what the standard is at pop but at French quarter they are always in our room waiting when we arrive. We are only on day three of our trip so I'll have to report back later on how the rest of our trip goes.

Im so glad to hear your stuff was safe :)

Yes, I'm upset with the housekeeper, but even more upset with how the incident was handled by Disney. It almost sounds like they are not even going to look into it. We are business owners and if one of our employees stole from one of our customers - I would be mortified! I would get on the issue immediately and get to the bottom of it. I would make sure that our customer was compensated, apologized to, and made 'happy'. The employee would be disciplined, and probably fired!

I don't feel like any of that is going to happen. I understand that there are good and bad housekeepers, good and bad managers, good and bad employees period - but a policy is a policy. Either they have horrible policies regarding theft from hotel rooms, or they are not following protocol.

My reason for posting was to share a very unpleasant experience and to hopefully keep it from happening to someone else. Disney has disappointed me and I don't think we will be returning anytime soon. If we do, we will stay off-site.

Like I said in my original post - our vacation was amazing. We had a wonderful time in the parks, and had some fantastic meals. Everyone we encountered, outside of Pop Century property, was very friendly and helpful and fun! This little incident just puts a bad taste in my mouth and its hard to get past it. But we will, and we will vacation elsewhere for a while.

Im so glad to hear your stuff was safe :) Yes, I'm upset with the housekeeper, but even more upset with how the incident was handled by Disney. It almost sounds like they are not even going to look into it. We are business owners and if one of our employees stole from one of our customers - I would be mortified! I would get on the issue immediately and get to the bottom of it. I would make sure that our customer was compensated, apologized to, and made 'happy'. The employee would be disciplined, and probably fired! I don't feel like any of that is going to happen. I understand that there are good and bad housekeepers, good and bad managers, good and bad employees period - but a policy is a policy. Either they have horrible policies regarding theft from hotel rooms, or they are not following protocol. My reason for posting was to share a very unpleasant experience and to hopefully keep it from happening to someone else. Disney has disappointed me and I don't think we will be returning anytime soon. If we do, we will stay off-site. Like I said in my original post - our vacation was amazing. We had a wonderful time in the parks, and had some fantastic meals. Everyone we encountered, outside of Pop Century property, was very friendly and helpful and fun! This little incident just puts a bad taste in my mouth and its hard to get past it. But we will, and we will vacation elsewhere for a while.

Sounds like you need to send a complaint to Disney's Guest Services vs the hotel management company. I know it should be standard procedure throughout but unfortunately it is not. Sorry for your bad experience.

Here now, requested 60's, top floor; got 50's, first floor, lakeside. Love the first floor so won't be requesting 4th floor anymore. But then again I have never been disappointed in any of the rooms we have had in the past. This is the first time we have been on a ground floor and I was surprised how much we like it.
The CM's have been amazing! We didn't check in until 9:30 last night an Nathan was so nice and helpful. Went back this morning to add a couple of more days to our park tickets and the 2 women (1 in training) were both great!!! This is our tenth stay at POP and we have always had outstanding service and great mouse keeping. I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience.

We were at EPCOT today and the only rides that had any wait were test track, maelstrom (35 min!!!) and soarin'. We had FP For soarin' and Maelstrom (thank goodness!). We hit test track at RD and rode it twice with a 8 min wait the first time and 15 the second. Everything else was a walk on. :thumbsup2

First of all, I can find the positive in any situation and I hate to complain, but..
just got back. Overall - awesome vacation!!! From the parks, to the restaurants, to the bus drivers, everything and everyone we encountered outside of our hotel, were great!!!

Pop Century not so much. Check in was fine. We got our requests, which was awesome. 50s bldg, lake view, 2nd floor.
Luggage came pretty quick from MDE (we landed about 5pm)
I heard so many glowing reports about this resort, I was really excited to stay at Pop Century!

Everything was great the first couple days. We had cute thank you notes made for housekeeping to set out with tips for them. Room was cleaned well and we appreciated it. Then on the 3rd day something went wrong. We got back to the room and it was not really cleaned. Bed sort of made, trash not emptied, towels not replenished, but they did take the tip we left out... Not a huge deal in itself.. until later when we realized that the housekeeping staff stole a brand new bathing suit, and tried on / and obviously and trampled around in some expensive shoes that were for a special celebration dinner - stretching them out and bending the back part so badly that they could not be worn.

As soon as we realized what happened, we went downstairs to talk to a manager. The manager told us there was nothing to be done, that we would have to call the complaint or claims department and see if they could help us.
So we tried calling but they are only open certain hours. So then the next day I tried calling and was on hold forever. Gave up because I didn't want to waste our precious park time on hold.

We put out the Do Not Disturb sign the rest of our week because we didn't want housekeeping coming in and stealing or destroying more of our stuff. So we went the rest of the week with no housekeeping. But our stuff was safe. Finally got a hold of the claims dept and they said they would contact me back within a few days.

Now we are home and they called and basically said we are out of luck for the shoes, and they will pay to replace the bathing suit. The shoes were the expensive items and now they are basically trash. I am not happy with this solution, and I feel that they don't even care that their employees are doing this to their guests! If you pay top dollar for a room in their 'resort' you should not have to worry about your stuff in a locked hotel room. We have vacationed in many cities in varying 'levels' of hotels and have never had anyone steal anything.

Did it ruin our vacation? No. But it makes me sad, disturbed and a little violated. So beware! Hide new items, or fancy shoes! The housekeepers may decide to help themselves.

Side note: we heard from a few other families throughout the week who also had trouble with the housekeeping thieves at Pop Century.

Do you remember the name on the card in your room of your Mousekeeper? Since we are in the 50's it would be nice to know so I can protect my belongings if I need to.

On average how long are the waits for transportation to the parks? Also, round trip how long does it take to go to Downtown Disney?

Do you remember the name on the card in your room of your Mousekeeper? Since we are in the 50's it would be nice to know so I can protect my belongings if I need to.

Only the good housekeeper left a card. LOL

Hopefully nothing will be taken or damaged in your room :)

On average how long are the waits for transportation to the parks? Also, round trip how long does it take to go to Downtown Disney?

Yesterday was our first day. We went to Epcot. Maybe 20 people in line for the bus and we waited 5 min. Today is Hollywood studios. 15 min bus ride. 10 people in line. We waited 2 minutes for a bus and we are on our way. 10 min bus ride. Haven't been to DTD yet. Buses have always been great at POP. Yesterday the MK line was looooonggg but they had several buses back to back and they were loaded and gone in in about 5 min. We get to te bus stop 1 hour before park open.

SPOERLX3 said:
Yesterday was our first day. We went to Epcot. Maybe 20 people in line for the bus and we waited 5 min. Today is Hollywood studios. 15 min bus ride. 10 people in line. We waited 2 minutes for a bus and we are on our way. 10 min bus ride. Haven't been to DTD yet. Buses have always been great at POP. Yesterday the MK line was looooonggg but they had several buses back to back and they were loaded and gone in in about 5 min. We get to te bus stop 1 hour before park open.

At MK on Wednesday I waited 45 minutes to get on a bus after wishes. There were just so many people in the POP line. Usually when this happens they have multiple busses waiting but not that time. This is twice I got burned like that at MK park close. Next time I'm driving.

At MK on Wednesday I waited 45 minutes to get on a bus after wishes. There were just so many people in the POP line. Usually when this happens they have multiple busses waiting but not that time. This is twice I got burned like that at MK park close. Next time I'm driving.

We had really good luck with busses last week. I think the longest we may have waited was 15 minutes (at MK). The monorail seemed super crowded, though, and there were always long waits there.

ChloeChipper said:
We had really good luck with busses last week. I think the longest we may have waited was 15 minutes (at MK). The monorail seemed super crowded, though, and there were always long waits there.

Yeah I've had bad luck a couple times now. Monorail is crowded but not 45 minutes to get to my car, then I am guaranteed a seat at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter