POR - Alligator Bayou or Magnolia Bend?

ashleymrush

DIS Veteran
A while back I noticed that someone posted that they would always choose to stay in the Alligator Bayou rooms over the Magnolia Bend rooms. I've also seen some that stated that AB rooms get requested more. Could someone explain why the AB rooms are better that MB? We are going in 3 weeks and am planning to put in requests soon. I stayed in an AB room back in January and had a garden view room that basically gave me a view of a swampy area, which was nice for the theming but we have garden view again this time and it seemed like the view would be better in MB so I was planning on making my request for there. We also plan to walk over to POFQ a couple times (my kids love their pool and I love the beignets) so I thought it would be best to try to be in MB to make the walk shorter. I know that requests can't always be accommodated but can you help to convince me as to which it better?

Edit: We also have a room with a 5th sleeper. Does this mean we will automatically be in the AB rooms anyway? We don't need the 5th sleeper but that was what was available when I booked back in May with free dining. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have stayed in both, AB first and thought it was great, then placed in MB on our 2nd visit at POR. Since, we have requested MB, particularly bldg 85. We LOVE the fountains, gazebo, horse carriage going by and the general atmosphere on that side more than the bayou side. The bayou is fine tho, so know worries if that's where you wind up!
I haven't had 5 in a room so I don't keep up with the 5th person details-sorry!

We have stayed in both areas. Alligator Bayou is our favorite.

We have stayed in both and preferred AB because of the theming but with the recent refurb I wouldn’t mind getting Mansions again.

Another vote for MB. On our last stay there, we stayed in a preferred room in AB, mainly for the convenience of being close to the lobby. While the theming and landscaping were spot on, I didn't feel the need to be reminded of the swampy climate. Florida summers do that in spades!

Our preferred location is a river view in Building 85 in MB. Close proximity to Ol' Man Island, which puts you relatively close the lobby and Riverside Mill.

I've stayed at both, and preferred MB much more. I thought that AB was the only section that slept 5?

A while back I noticed that someone posted that they would always choose to stay in the Alligator Bayou rooms over the Magnolia Bend rooms. I've also seen some that stated that AB rooms get requested more. Could someone explain why the AB rooms are better that MB? We are going in 3 weeks and am planning to put in requests soon. I stayed in an AB room back in January and had a garden view room that basically gave me a view of a swampy area, which was nice for the theming but we have garden view again this time and it seemed like the view would be better in MB so I was planning on making my request for there. We also plan to walk over to POFQ a couple times (my kids love their pool and I love the beignets) so I thought it would be best to try to be in MB to make the walk shorter. I know that requests can't always be accommodated but can you help to convince me as to which it better?

Edit: We also have a room with a 5th sleeper. Does this mean we will automatically be in the AB rooms anyway? We don't need the 5th sleeper but that was what was available when I booked back in May with free dining. Thanks!

We've stayed in both and while no one side is inherently better than the other, it's likely the AB rooms are requested more for the 5th sleeper option. I prefer the theming of the royal rooms in MB but we like the overall location and 5th sleeper option at AB more. The view IMO makes no difference for a moderate since there is no balcony and for us is not worth the extra money.

At that point, it comes down to location of your room (which you may pay more for a preferred) and sleep situation. We usually request a corner room and on the second floor. We don't mind walking to the lobby/bus so we don't pay for preferred rooms either. Plus I'd rather have my walk to the bus shorter than my lobby walk since we do that more often.

We like AB buildings that are closer to the west depot which is the first bus stop at POR. We were in 26 in AB our last trip. We found that being in MB was not ideal at busy times when the bus would arrive at the depot pretty full so we stood a lot. The bus situation at POR and POFQ is the only negative for us but we still love POR. We just usually allot some Minnie van rides/uber for our stay.

If you have a specific location you want and it's in the room category you reserved, definitely make the building number request but just know it's a request only and it may not be honored. If you want a river view in MB, we were in building 90, room 9274; the oak building on a prior stay and it had a great view of the river and was a very short walk to the lobby. The theming of magnolia bend is really pretty. You can't go wrong with either side of POR IMO.

We stayed in AB and, no exaggeration, I got lost every time I walked out the door! Lol

If you aren't directionally challenged like me then go for the theme you like better. Otherwise, maybe the mansions because they seem a lot less "tangled".

I liked building 34 in AB because of the 2 minute walk to the bus stop. It's the first pickup at the resort (means you get a seat) and the first drop off at the end of the night (GET ME OFF THIS BUS ASAP).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter