Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Two --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final call. DROP it.

Rooms are pre-assigned and while the odds are a given poster will get the room they were allocated it is NOT a certainty until you are in the room.

You can argue the manager thing and whatever you want. At the end of the day ... that's how it works. Its how it has worked for years and until Disney says otherwise, it's how it will work into the foreseeable future.

Having said all that, I'll repeat, ODDS ARE the poster will get it. But NOTHING at Disney is guaranteed as far as room assignment goes, that's the only point some posters were trying to make.

Now.. for the second and final time - Let's DROP ALL FIGHTING AND BACK AND FORTH AND CONTINUE WITH THE FAQ.

Thanks.

Knox

Our refrigerator worked well until the last night. Not sure if it it quit cooling or if the door was ajar.

I can't speak for POR specifically (our 1st stay there is upcoming!) but I have noticed at several other resorts that fridge door can sometimes get "caught" on the carpet loop or pile when closing it, and even though it looks closed, it's not sealed. We've learned to always give it firm push closed.

andrewilley said:
I just started on my second half-century on this planet this very morning :cake: --- just my luck that I gave myself a few hours off at the wrong moment. :) :) :)

Andre

Happy SECOND half century! I started mine last May :)

I can't speak for POR specifically (our 1st stay there is upcoming!) but I have noticed at several other resorts that fridge door can sometimes get "caught" on the carpet loop or pile when closing it, and even though it looks closed, it's not sealed. We've learned to always give it firm push closed.

The fridges are inside a cabinet of the dresser/tv console so it would not be able to get caught on carpet. However if it was ajar and you closed the cabinet door you wouldn't notice that it was ajar.

The fridges are inside a cabinet of the dresser/tv console so it would not be able to get caught on carpet. However if it was ajar and you closed the cabinet door you wouldn't notice that it was ajar.

I noticed most resorts (if not all) now have them in some type of cabinet for the fridge as well, so my mind must be thinking waaaay back to when they were just free-standing!

Our fridge in bldg 18 earlier this month kept everything very cold. I even had ice crystals in a bottle of cranberry juice that was against the back wall.

First of all, Happy Birthday Andre!!:banana:

We're going to be driving to POR in just over 3 weeks, staying in a RR. I read on some other resort boards complaints about the refrigerators, specifically they don't cool very well at all (@ Poly maybe?). I don't think I've read such here, but just wanted to double check. Since we are driving, I was thinking of bringing some yogurt, milk (for cereal), etc., for breakfast in the room since we have young kiddos. Any reason to think the refrigerators might not keep dairy products cool enough? TIA!!

What I did last year was to leave the cabinet door open when we were out of the room, it seemed to keep the fridge colder.

If you have a car to use at POR, would you use it or would you use Disney transportation to get to the 4 dry parks?

It is DH, myself, and DD5.

If you have a car to use at POR, would you use it or would you use Disney transportation to get to the 4 dry parks?

Depends on the park and your plans. For the MK, take the bus. For the others, we tend to decide on the day, mostly depending on what we're planning on doing next, as to whether we drive. If you're coming out after fireworks, might be better to drive (for Epcot certainly).

Andre

With the set-up in the cabinet at POR, I have noted that you always need to check to make sure you did firmly close the fridge door before you close the actual armoire door. There is a gap to allow for air circulation and unfortunately, it is larger than the depth of the door.

Also over time, seals to fridge doors "tire" and they don't catch the way they used to. I am facilities management and we are about 30 people in the office, all of who use the fridge rather regularly. We notice after a while the seal doesn't quite catch and as a matter of fact, we came in this Monday and the fridge had been open all weekend. Drats.

Most likely that is what happened.

When stayed in Magnolia Bend last year we got a pack n play for our one year old and he slept great in it. I put extra towels we requested from mouse keeping under the sheet for a little extra padding. We placed the packnplay between the tv stand and the wall the safe is on near the bathroom and it fit there great with no restriction to us using the room and walking around.

That is another great place to put it!

We loved our mousekeeper; she made some towel animals and strung a towel over the side from the crib side, and had them "escaping" from the crib while we were out of the room.

We had a hoot over that one!

Don't feel bad, I think there was a minor outbreak of grumpy pessimism virus around here last night. :)

You have been allocated a particular room arrangement by the MANAGER of the on-site room assignment team, not by some anonymous person at a call center, and he felt confident enough in his systems and processes to personally email you to confirm what he has done. Sure, there's always still a chance that it might not happen for some unusual reason*, but the odds are that an assignment that he has specifically blocked out will not be overridden by anyone else without a VERY good reason.

* Caveat: yes, the rooms you have been assigned could have to be taken out of inventory due to some unforeseeable situation with a previous occupant or other damage... or the hotel could close a whole building due to a tsunami and the Sassagoula River flooding its banks... or Walt Disney World could suffer an earthquake and have to close for six months... In short, nothing in life is 100% certain, but in all probability you will get exactly what the manager has reserved for you.

I hope you have a great time, and your rooms are just what you want them to be.

Andre

Thanks. :thumbsup2

party: Happy Birthday! party:

I just absolutely can't wait to check in on Saturday. I keep going to your website and looking at everything. The pictures are just making me so excited!!!!! :cool1: No matter what happens this is going to be the best vacation ever. My kids are so excited! :cool1: Thanks again for taking the time to do your website and this thread. :worship:

First of all, thanks everyone for the refrigerator comments! I believe I've seen the advice to keep the cabinet open before, which makes sense to increase airflow.

It is DH, myself, and DD5.

I agree with Andre. The last time we drove to AK with no issue (at opening - parked so close we didn't even bother with the tram). EPCOT was a bit hairier (which will be fine probably if you have a AAA parking pass), and DEFINITELY bus it to MK. We only made that mistake once when we came out, passed by the buses to walk what seemed like miles through the parking lot! I also plan taking either the boat or bus to DTD. Parking there was a nightmare.

No matter what happens this is going to be the best vacation ever. My kids are so excited!

And that is exactly the right attitude to have!:)

POR was the first on-site property I stayed at, and I have been back many times. It is even more beautiful in person that the pictures show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter