Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed to POR 10/12-10/16 and trying to figure out where to request a room. Booked in a garden view. It's my mom (64), me and DS6 and DD8. This is their first trip to disney. The hitch is that my mom had unexpected knee surgery last week. Hoping she can manage the parks, but I hate for her to have to trek all over the resort after a long day at the parks.

Even if she's chilly about it now, please oh please look into renting one, either offsite or on. My husband had an injury during our last trip, and absolutely refused a scooter. He used a cane and was in SO much pain for the entire trip, and he injured himself more. It was absolutely dreadful, and he let pride and the potential for embarrassment get in the way of his health and healing process.

Consider looking into it, so if (hopefully WHEN) she mentions that it might be a good idea you can take care of it immediately and have a scooter for her asap.

And consider checking the DISabilities forum here for both a list of good rental companies AND the list of questions it's good to ask of yourself when you're considering a scooter or wheelchair (I think Cheshire_Figment wrote that). The questions involve "am I injured" and "will I see anyone I know"; that sort of thing.

Officially a Muppet, I am 12 hours early for my flight! I only realised when I asked someone why my flight isn't on the board!

Wow! Well, at least you're early! Do set some alarms though. :)

DH was once 24 hours LATE for a flight. Time change, flight leaving at 2am but you have to check in at 11pm the previous day, etc etc, got all messed up. Not a happy situation. Yours is WAY better. :)

I suggested that and got a very chilly response! :). It will be an interesting trip!

After my first knee surgery when I was young and naive, the surgeon told me no limitations after my follow-up visit 10 days after surgery. So, day 14 after surgery I went out and played 9 holes of golf and walked the course. My knew swelled the size of a 40lb watermelon.

I agree with PP, have the rental options handy -- it might be a handy resource.

Tom

I found hers on ebay. I saw the skanky adult ones!:rotfl:
The brand of hers is called Trendy Halloween. It is really cute!
I am not crafty at all so I had to buy one lol! I will try to post a pic.
I have never posted a pic on here before haha!

Oh please do post pics if you can - you'll have to upload it to something like photo bucket & then just copy & paste the URL of the pic...bit of a pesky workaround but if anyone knows of a better way I'd sure love to know too! If it's too much trouble I understand tho - just have a blast at the party tonight!!! :) come back & give us a review on POR too!

Checked in this morning. Grounds are beautiful! Didn't get any of our request...pack n play (its on its way) fridge for needy toddler's milk (he will get over it). We're in Acadia, ground floor, right by a pool and super close to main pool and food court, aka cup refill central! Absolutely no complaints, we're at Disney!

ME and 1st bus experiences were great too! It's really, really hot, but not too crazy.

So I was able to upgrade my reservation from standard to garden view. Yay!Has anyone stayed in building 38 in a garden view room? There is just something that is drawing me to that building, even the non-river view rooms, although I'm sure they'd be the best! I know it is not super close to everything as I had originally thought I wanted, but it is an "easier" path, I guess and close to pool area and gives us the North Depot as an option as well. I was thinking we would request "as close to the main River path as possible", hoping for building 38. I figure everyone else is requesting close to the main buildings, so our odds might be better anyway. : )
We have been back a few days. We had gardenveiw with free dining. I requested a room close to the main building and bus. We got pixie dust and got in building 14:wizard:

Headed to POR 10/12-10/16 and trying to figure out where to request a room. Booked in a garden view. It's my mom (64), me and DS6 and DD8. This is their first trip to disney. The hitch is that my mom had unexpected knee surgery last week. Hoping she can manage the parks, but I hate for her to have to trek all over the resort after a long day at the parks.

Any suggestions on a location to request? We will do the pool at least one day. We have ADRs for dinners and will likely eat lunch in the parks so we would likely only hit the food court once a day if even that.

TIA!
I would mention the knee surgery and say you would like to be close to main building and the bus stop--also she probably can't do stairs so I would request first floor

By any chance, does anyone know if the POR gift shop sells loaves of bread? Coronado did not, but Wilderness Lodge gift shop did. Last time we made a special trip over to Wilderness Lodge to pick up a loaf.

We take Jif PB for our son and buy a loaf of bread each trip. He's a picky eater and sometimes pulling out a Jif to go, and a couple slices of bread comes in really handy. And I see from that the food court has toasters so we could even make PB toast for him for breakfast.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I saw some loaves of bread at POFQ gift shop last year and the shop at POR is bigger so I think they should have them.

Weird question - We are planning to decorate our window for our Oct. trip. Does anyone know how wide the windows are?

Also, can anyone who just returned or is there now report on whether they had a fridge or not.

Thanks!

Yay my magic bands have shipped!!! We arrive at POR on October 13. Random question: does the magic bands that are delivered via ups have to be signed?it says it will be delivered by 10:30am on Monday....but no one will be home until later.

Thanks!

Yay my magic bands have shipped!!! We arrive at POR on October 13. Random question: does the magic bands that are delivered via ups have to be signed?it says it will be delivered by 10:30am on Monday....but no one will be home until later.

Thanks!

No, they don't need to be signed for. We were at work when ours arrived, too.

This may sound like a really random question.......

BUT does anyone know if POR have conditioner with the complimentary toiletries?? I know some hotels have the complimentary shampoo, soap, etc and sometimes conditioner.

If so, one less thing for me bring in my suitcase......

I saw some loaves of bread at POFQ gift shop last year and the shop at POR is bigger so I think they should have them.

POR's gift shop absolutely has loafs of bread and peanut butter (but only creamy IIRC). I think they even have both whole wheat and white bread. I check every trip (last trip late Aug/early Sep), because the kids eat bread for breakfast in the room. HTH!

BUT does anyone know if POR have conditioner with the complimentary toiletries?? I know some hotels have the complimentary shampoo, soap, etc and sometimes conditioner.

Yes, separate shampoo and conditioner, plus two types of bar soap - but no shower gel oddly enough. I can't think why they'd give separate shampoo/conditioner but omit shower gel!

Andre

Magic bands arrived yesterday! They were waiting on the porch when I got home from work. DD8 nearly opened the box and spoiled the surprise! Thankfully I realized what it was before she got the top opened. Phew. 30 days to go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter