Posiible UO newbie: staying offsite march break question

Juventus

DIS Veteran
I was wondering what the experience would be like, with regards to major attractions (e.g., Harry potter rides) during March break staying offsite. So no early entry or skip the line pass.

Is ropedrop still feasible? Can u get in line just before park close like at Disney?

We would probably have 4-5 park days do wouldn't have to hit all the big attractions each day.

Thanks!

If you are willing to be there at rope drop and have 4+ days, you will be fine at Universal even at a busy time like spring break.
So is ropedrop worthwhile given onsite/annual passers have an hour headstart (given I would be offsite)?
Thanks

Rope drop would still be good for other rides, not Hagrids. Not the rides that are open for EE, and in IoA, 90% of early entry will go to Hagrids. You'd have a good chance to get other rides done, by being early, front of the regular lines, like those in Marvel, maybe even FJ, and VC might not have that big of a wait. Hogsmeade got busy pretty quickly w EE people, but it just got worse and worse as day went on. I've never seen lines so long for butter beer. Get it early! We did our first spring break ORlando trip (since 2005), this past March, insanely busy time, no express, but did have early entry. got a lot done. Also, I think most people go to IoA, so Studios was great in the AM.

So is ropedrop worthwhile given onsite/annual passers have an hour headstart (given I would be offsite)?
Thanks
Yes it’s worth it.

Early Entry doesn’t include all the rides. Most of the attractions don’t open until general park opening. Already being there will give you an edge.

It will get much busier around 11am.

On days it will be crazy busy (as in a Friday instead of say Wednesday during a peak time) I would do as much as possible before 11am saving the headliner rides for late in the evening.

If your party can, be prepared to use the single rider lines. Especially for re-rides.

Last edited:
Just choose rides that are not included in early park admission, and rope drop those. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to get ahead of the pack for Hagrid’s, but you can often still have lowish waits for Velocicoaster at the end of EPA/regular opening. Or skip that part of the park entirely, and get an early ride on Hulk.

You will definitely have enough time to do everything since you’ll be there for multiple days. End of the evening is another good time to jump in lines with low waits (Forbidden Journey is often a walk on at night). Just watch the app for low waits to pop up, and use the busy middle of the day to do shows or shop or take a break at your hotel pool.

You can absolutely have a great time staying offsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter