Possible to spend one day at Disneyland? and other Q's

RadioFanatic

Mouseketeer<br><font color=6d6b70>SO not a jewelry
So, I'm going to spend 10 days in California over thanksgiving week. Since it is my first time to California, although I want to go to Disneyland, I don't want to spend more than one day there - so some questions:

1. is one day doable? if so, how would you recommend doing it - we would want to do both parks

2. how is it crowd wise the weekend BEFORE thanksgiving? how is the Friday before thanksgiving

3. where would you eat CS lunch and sit down dinner?

4. what night show would you prefer to see?

thanks!

RadioFanatic said:
1. is one day doable? if so, how would you recommend doing it - we would want to do both parks

One day is doable IF you plan VERY well and don't want to do/see everything. You can get a one day hopper pass. A friend and I did one day last May but we knew exactly what we wanted to do and see. We made a list and stuck to it. Most important - WE HAD NO CHILDREN WITH US!! (what a fun trip :teeth: )

HOWEVER - you may be very disappointed only having one day. California has alot to offer. You may want to give DL/DCA 2 days and plan a trip back.

I can't imagine doing both parks in one day, especially on a weekend. California is great, but believe me, you wouldn't regret planning two days at Disneyland and CA. And if possible, I'd try to do it midweek. Weekends are just plain scary! I think you could do nearly everything in two days, though I think you would still be a bit rushed. Have fun!

1) Doing it all one day would be a very busy day! If you are going just to ride rides, you could probably get a lot done in one day. Use fast pass, take very few breaks, maybe use ridemax to get the most done. However, I dont think you could see shows, fireworks, etc, and see all of both parks in one day. I would be outside the DL gate at opening, stay in DL until early afternoon, then go to DCA for a few hours, then hit DL again in the evening. Many people will be holding spots / watching F! and the fireworks which will help with lines.

2. The friday before Thanksgiving should be pretty good. And the park will be decorated for Christmas, which is always magical.

3. Counter service: Pizza port in tomorrow land or french market- great fried chicken.
Sit down meal: We dont typically do a lot of these so we can save time. Blue Bayou is good- make sure you make reservations (priority seating). Or Storytellers at the grand- service was a bit slow when we were there, so allow plenty of time.

4. Evening show- depends. F! is really great. But, if by chance they are still doing the 50th firework show, you shouldnt miss it!

I can't imagine trying to do everything at Disneyland in one day....let alone both parks now! Between shows and rides and food and all the walking around...no way.

I don't expect that you can do everything you want in 1 day, but you can do enough to make it a great day provided you start very early (be there at opening!), and use FastPass well. While I would usually recommend midweek over a Friday, the Friday before Thanksgiving might be your best bet. Some schools are on holiday the entire week of Thanksgiving, so it's likely to be pretty crowded that week. Early admission is typically offered Mon, Tue, and Sat, so even if you get there right at opening on these days, you will face a few crowds right off the bat.

For counter-service, I like Red Rockets for salads or Racho del Z..whatever (the Mexican restaurant near BTMRR). I like Jazz Kitchen in DTD for a nice sit down dinner, or Blue Bayou of course. I agree, a PS is very important when time is so precious.

As far as night shows, unless you want to spring for the Fantasmic seating, it will take up too much of your time to get a good viewing spot if there's only one show. You might have 2 shows, so you can catch the second one without as long a wait. The current firework show is awesome, but will likely no longer be showing; there may be something in its place.

thanks so far for your replies. DH and I have been to WDW a lot, so I don't necessarily need to see shows - specifically, I'm interested in doing rides, etc. that are "different" than WDW. Anyone have a plan I should follow, i.e., what to do? thanks again!

Having a WDW background will help a lot. First of all the parks are much smaller and close together (Imagine the MK in the Epcot parking lot).

There are a few things you'll want on your must do in DL:

1. Matterhorn
2. Small World (in full Christmas spendor)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean (not as good pre-show, but a better ride)
4. Haunted Mansion (which will probably be decorated as the Haunted Holiday)
5. Lunch at the Blue Bayou
6. Thunder Mountain (a lot different that in WDW MK)
7. A selection of Fantasyland rides (my favorites are Storybook boats, Teacups and Peter Pan)
8. Jungle Cruise (try the Dole Whip)
9. Riding the DL RR around the park
10. Rock It Mountain (Space Mountain at night with a new soundtrack)
11. Fantasmic (I think this one's a lot better the the MK one)

Star Tours & Buzz Lightyear are pretty close to what's in MK, but still a lot of fun
I would skip all of Toontown except for the Roger Rabbit Spin.

As for DCA:
1. Monsters Inc
2. Grizzley Rapids
3. Aladdin show (if it's still open in November, scheduled for closing in 2006)
4. If the Block Party Bash is still there it's very good

Turtle Talk, ToT & Soarin' can now be seen in WDW, so those would be optional

That would be a pretty full day. You'll need to check to be sure that you haven't picked a short hours day. There times when DL closes at 8pm and DCA at 6pm.

at least that was my first response but after i read that you are wdw people. maybe. but not with kids. no sit down meals. no shows.

i've not done the buzz at dl but done wdw.
i'd skip buzz,
star tours is star tours, i'd skip it
thunder mt is better at wdw, try if you must
do matterhorn
do indy
do pirates
do haunted
do small world
check out toon town and do roger rabbit but nothing else there
do splash
do train ride
do casey train or story book boats to see the miniture gardens
consider ferry/columbia/or canoes
skip peterpan, no fast pass and always a line

dca
do grizzly rapids
tot is better at wdw, do if must
soaring is a favorite (have not experinced wdw version)
do roller coaster (if going)

sit down restaurants are pretty sparse at dl, cafeteria style is faster anyway
maybe you could squeeze in a show during lunch at the golden horseshoe, it is entertaining

this will not be a relaxing trip and very short on disney magic as you will be too busy to absorb magic except while standing in line

ANY day at Disneyland is a good day! Just fit in what you can.

I would start in DL with Space Mountain, then do Autopia (both in Tomorrowland). Take a peek at the work on the submarine ride. Then walk over to Small World, it is much different (and better!) than at WDW. Matterhorn is a do not miss. Continue on to the Storybook Canal ride (a very sweet old fashioned ride). Then Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Pinnochio (unless any of these are at WDW, I dont remember). Go through the castle for a picture and to visit Snow White's grotto. Go to Indy, Jungle Book, Pirates and Haunted Mansion. If you dont want to do the unique Blue Bayou experience due to time constraints, then grab some food to go and eat it on your walk out of the park over to DCA.

DCA I would go to the right and do Soarin (it will be at WDW, but the original is bound to be better, you want the center section first row), Grizzly River Rapids is a lot like Kali River Rapids and November might or might not be too cold to get so wet, so your choice. The Sun Wheel is amazing and one of my favorite things, the view is amazing (if you are not a thrill seeker and are happy staying in one place, the line for the red and stationary cars is much, much shorter). Then California Screaming and thats all that is worth doing in Paradise Pier on such a tight schedule. Then on to the other side of the park, ToT if you want to compare to WDW, Aladdin show, Monsters, Inc. ride, and the Animation Building. Muppets is the same, so skip it.

The fireworks show for the 50th is simply amazing and made me cry. If it is still playing that is far and away what I would choose for my evening entertainment. If its not, then the Fantasmic at DL is better than the one at WDW in my opinion. I would grab something to eat for dinner and find a spot to wait for whatever show you choose and eat then. Try to get one more ride on Space Mountain as I think by then the night time music will be in place and it will be fun to compare the two rides in one day.

On a slow weekday day, with good use of fast pass, you might be able to get this all done.

A few other things you might think about...the train ride around the park is fun and has the fun little dinosaur scene, so if you need a break from walking for a little while, that is great place to rest. Toontown has Mickey and Minnie's Houses and Roger Rabbit, but they are just ok...not great. Splash Mountain might be fun to compare if you have time or just love that ride, but probably not worth the wait and possible wet clothes in November if you have been on it many times in WDW. Skip Pooh for sure. Big Thunder is the same deal as Splash...if you love it and want to compare then ride it. If not, its close enough to WDW to not suck up any of your precious time. Casey Jr. Train ride covers the same territory as the Storybook Canal Boats and without the guided tour, so it is probably not a good use of your time, although it is unique to DL. Dumbo, teacups, Peter Pan, Star Tours, Buzz, Honey I Shrunk the kids, are all very similar to WDW and probably not worth the wait if you have been on them at WDW unless they are a beloved ride.

Whatever you do, just relax and have fun and see how much you can see. Make it a game to try to get as much done as possible, but dont stress or it will lose its entertainment factor. :teeth:

WOW! You guys have GREAT responses! It will just be dh and I, no kids. I may add another day to the trip and fly in the morning and do a 1/2 day one place and full day at another. But, in case that doesn't work out, this is great. DL will be right at the beginning of the trip, so we'll being taking it a bit slower for the rest of the vacation. Tentatively, our schedule seems to be as follows:

thursday - fly in am or pm, depending on if I can get day off, if am, disneyland in afternoon
friday - dl
saturday - wb tour, hollywood/el rodeo
sunday - beverly hills, leave LA and go to either Santa barbara or santa monica for the night
monday - spend day at beach and then go that night to Madonna Inn
tuesday - hearst castle in am and then carmel, big sur or monterey to stay that night
wed and thurs (thanksgiving) - either carmel, big sur or monterey
frid-sun - San Fran
monday go back home

does this seem doable? am I missing something that I really shouldn't

I :love: you guys - you are giving great ideas!

I would try to get to Santa Barbara on the Sunday, it will be so much nicer than driving there on a weekday. Plus you want to have time to enjoy the Rincon.

RadioFanatic said:
thursday - fly in am or pm, depending on if I can get day off, if am, disneyland in afternoon
friday - dl
saturday - wb tour, hollywood/el rodeo
sunday - beverly hills, leave LA and go to either Santa barbara or santa monica for the night
monday - spend day at beach and then go that night to Madonna Inn
tuesday - hearst castle in am and then carmel, big sur or monterey to stay that night
wed and thurs (thanksgiving) - either carmel, big sur or monterey
frid-sun - San Fran
monday go back home

This is what I would do on this trip (just my opinion!):
Thurs, Fri, Sat: DL
Sunday: WB Tour, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, drive to Santa Monica after dinner for the night.
Monday: Santa Monica Beach and Pier and leave for Madonna Inn in the early afternoon.
Tuesday: Hearst Castle in morning then on to Big Sur (this will be a long drive) and try to make it in time for dinner at Nepenthe (reccomend The Big Sur River Inn or or Deetjen's...these will be more rustic or think romantic and dont have a tv or a phone but are so quiet and peaceful and fun).
Wednesday: Big Sur to Monterey Peninsula and Monterey Aquarium, Cannery Row, 17 Mile Drive, Monterey Wharf, Lover's Point, Carmel Mission, Carmel Valley. (If you can afford the Hotel Pacific or the Spindrift Inn, then do so!).
Thursday: Morning in Carmel or Monterey, then drive up Highway One to San Francisco Stops in Moss Landing (for seafood lunch), Capitola, Santa Cruz, Get to SF early evening.
Friday: San Francisco (reccomend the Hotel Prescott) Ghiradelli Square, Golden Gate Bridge, Trolleys, Chinatown, etc.
Saturday: More SFO
Sunday: Napa Valley or Berkeley or more SFO
Monday: Home!

Fun trip!

Wow Snow Brite - what great suggestions! And I don't mind the driving - we expected that.

Personally, I would skip hollywood/el rodeo/ Beverly Hills and head to Santa Barbara. Tour the Mission in Santa Barbara and enjoy the beach. Sundays in Santa Barbara, the beach has art/craft vendors, which is always fun.

Others will disagree, but I think one day at DL would be enough. Don't attempt to go on every ride. Just relax and enjoy.

The drive through Big Sur to Carmel can take time, but it well worth it.

Enjoy!

This is their first and only trip to DLR.....they need more than one day to take it all in. I would hate if I only alloted one day and didn't feel it was enough. :( I would not be able to realx thinking I only had one day, I would try to do everything.

labguides said:
Personally, I would skip hollywood/el rodeo/ Beverly Hills and head to Santa Barbara. Tour the Mission in Santa Barbara and enjoy the beach. Sundays in Santa Barbara, the beach has art/craft vendors, which is always fun.

Others will disagree, but I think one day at DL would be enough. Don't attempt to go on every ride. Just relax and enjoy.

The drive through Big Sur to Carmel can take time, but it well worth it.

Enjoy!

The drive from Big Sur to Carmel is about 45 minutes...maybe an hour if you stop a lot. But it does have the famous Bixby Bridge along the way. And you will drive past the famous Highlands Inn as well.

You can do Disneyland in one day I guess. :confused3 I tried to do it one day once (my first time) but ended up going back for a second day because I didn't want to leave. :Pinkbounc

When we go, usually 4 or 5 days (3 times a year), we spend about 80% of our time in DL. The atmosphere is that it is "just the place to be". Now, if you are just going for rides, then CA has a lot to offer in addition to DL. But I think, as most on this board would probably agree, DLR is more than just rides so it is difficult to give a "Disneyland in one day" guide.

That said, one day is better than none!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter