Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I received my reimbursement from Southwest! It wasn't as much as I submitted, but that's fine with me, it is more than I was expecting. For reference, I was scheduled to fly from BWI on Dec. 26. I submitted mileage reimbursement for the drive after multiple cancelled flights (I used the IRS rate of 62.5 cents/mile in 2022), and I included mileage both directions, since we drove both directions (but only our flight on Dec 26 was cancelled, we cancelled the return flight ourselves since we drove). I didn't get the whole amount I submitted, honestly I was only expecting half (meaning the one way mileage for the one direction that was cancelled), but what they reimbursed was a bit less than half and I don't have any idea how they got that number (maybe instead of a flat mileage rate, they paid a "gas rate", it seems some companies to that, and if they did that, they paid us for both directions driving, and even then gave us a little more).

I'm happy with how the reimbursement worked out, despite all the problems travelling that week (not just the cancelled flights, driving on 95 was rough that week!)

I received my reimbursement from Southwest! It wasn't as much as I submitted, but that's fine with me, it is more than I was expecting. For reference, I was scheduled to fly from BWI on Dec. 26. I submitted mileage reimbursement for the drive after multiple cancelled flights (I used the IRS rate of 62.5 cents/mile in 2022), and I included mileage both directions, since we drove both directions (but only our flight on Dec 26 was cancelled, we cancelled the return flight ourselves since we drove). I didn't get the whole amount I submitted, honestly I was only expecting half (meaning the one way mileage for the one direction that was cancelled), but what they reimbursed was a bit less than half and I don't have any idea how they got that number (maybe instead of a flat mileage rate, they paid a "gas rate", it seems some companies to that, and if they did that, they paid us for both directions driving, and even then gave us a little more).

I'm happy with how the reimbursement worked out, despite all the problems travelling that week (not just the cancelled flights, driving on 95 was rough that week!)
May I ask when you submitted your ticket? I submitted mine on 12/28 and haven't received a response or the email giving rewards points. My daughter received that email, but I did not.

May I ask when you submitted your ticket? I submitted mine on 12/28 and haven't received a response or the email giving rewards points. My daughter received that email, but I did not.
I submitted the reimbursement ticket on Jan 3 and received the cash (via paypal) Jan 12. I'm still hoping I might get the 25,000 points though, I don't understand why we wouldn't, since we had 2 cancelled flights, and lots of headaches due to them, so I did submit another message to southwest asking for the 25,000 points that I've seen on the news. However, I won't be upset if we don't get them

so I booked my first SW flight. It is a nonstop flight from O'hare Chicago to Orlando.

I just realized they don't have assigned seats, damn it. If I knew, I would have never booked it. we are a family of 4, with 2 boys (7 and 10 years old).

I am kind of freaking out now.
I plan to do the early check in 24 hours in advance.
I don't mind sitting away from them as long as my wife is close to the kids.

What are the chances of that actually happening?
Thanks

Last edited:
so I booked my first SW flight. It is a nonstop flight from O'hare Chicago to Orlando.

I just realized they don't have assigned seats, damn it. If I knew, I would have never booked it. we are a family of 4, with 2 boys (7 and 10 years old).

I don't mind sitting away from them as long as my wife are close to the kids.

Thanks
What fare class did you buy? If it was Wanna Get Away, go back right now and buy Early Bird Check In. It checks you in automatically and one of the tiebreakers is date purchased. With EBCI, I would bet you'll be fine, especially if willing to sit 2x2, one parent with each kid. I checked in at exactly 24 hours yesterday and got B-32, so there will be between 60 and 100 people already on the plane before I get a chance to board. But I can pretty much guarantee that I'll get either a window or aisle, and would have space next to me for a kid.

What fare class did you buy? If it was Wanna Get Away, go back right now and buy Early Bird Check In. It checks you in automatically and one of the tiebreakers is date purchased. With EBCI, I would bet you'll be fine, especially if willing to sit 2x2, one parent with each kid. I checked in at exactly 24 hours yesterday and got B-32, so there will be between 60 and 100 people already on the plane before I get a chance to board. But I can pretty much guarantee that I'll get either a window or aisle, and would have space next to me for a kid.

I will check if they have EBCI.

If they don't, it seems as long as I do the 24 hours check in, I should be probably good??

Thanks

If they don't, it seems as long as I do the 24 hours check in, I should be probably good??

Thanks
Probably, but not assuredly. Depends on what the load factor is, how many of those spent for EBCI or have status, how many families that qualify for family boarding are onboard, how strict the gate agent is about enforcing the one kid and one parent rule, etc. I don't know how well SW's operation is going at O'Hare, but it could be incredibly busy.

Thanks
I agree with the PP, that nothing is guaranteed, especially since more people are purchasing EB than in the past. However, in my experience, I almost always purchase the WGA fare and never purchase EBCI. I have flown on Southwest many many many times, always check in at exactly 24 hours, and have never gotten a C boarding position. There have always been at least 2 seats together when I board. Of course past results don't guarantee future outcomes, but there's a good chance you'll be fine. If you don't purchase EBCI then if possible have you and your wife both check in at 24 hours, that will give you a better shot of getting a lower boarding position. Upgrading to an Anytime fare is even better than purchasing EBCI if that's an option.

I agree with the PP, that nothing is guaranteed, especially since more people are purchasing EB than in the past. However, in my experience, I almost always purchase the WGA fare and never purchase EBCI. I have flown on Southwest many many many times, always check in at exactly 24 hours, and have never gotten a C boarding position. There have always been at least 2 seats together when I board. Of course past results don't guarantee future outcomes, but there's a good chance you'll be fine. If you don't purchase EBCI then if possible have you and your wife both check in at 24 hours, that will give you a better shot of getting a lower boarding position. Upgrading to an Anytime fare is even better than purchasing EBCI if that's an option.
thank you, I will check it out.

If I knew, I would have never booked it. we are a family of 4, with 2 boys (7 and 10 years old).
Just know that SWA fleet are 3X3 configurations (3 seats on either side of the aisle).

What people are talking about with EBCI is all about your Boarding position. While that does correspond with how early you can get on the plane it doesn't necessarily correspond to seat availability. Generally speaking it's usually advised for families to head towards the back as there's the most availability. However things like a flight that came before yours without a plane change that can add people to the plane.

Thanks

Early Bird check in is always available up to 36 hours before your flight, there is no limit to how many people can buy it. . The only thing it guarantees is you get checked in at that time. It doesn’t guarantee any specific boarding spot. The later you add it, the higher your boarding position. What number you get depends on how many people have purchased Anytime fares or EBCI before you did. If you have a B or C boarding position, be aware that family boarding takes place between A & B spots. Any family traveling with a child age 6 or less can board then. With a flight to Orlando, that can be a pretty good amount of people. Technically the rules say 2 adults & the child but realistically they allow the whole immediate family on at the same time. (No grandparents but both parents & all siblings). Every city & flight is going to have a different demographic mix, so you can never predict what position you’ll get with EBCI or just checking in your self. If you get a C boarding group, hopefully at least 1 parent & the 7 YO can find seats together. But I would prepare the 10 YO they might get separated.

Thanks
Last week I was 1 minute late for 24 hour check in to depart from Orlando. We were in the B40's. I think there was quite a bit of family boarding since it was Orlando. The 5 of us had to all sit separately. (Youngest person with us was 21 so no worries.)

For the Chicago to Omaha leg, we were in B30's and plenty of seats together in the back.

When I have been sitting and waiting to check in at exactly 24 hours, we have all been able to sit together. My group is all adults now, but I may start buying EBCI for the return home, just because it's hard to remember to check in when on vacation. (I had set a reminder on my phone for 12:05 for a 12:15 flight; however, I did that while in Central time and apparently it doesn't adjust as it wasn't going to remind me until 1:05. I might not have heard that reminder either though. I just happened to pull it out for a photo at 12:16 and saw the SW app reminder.)

Last week I was 1 minute late for 24 hour check in to depart from Orlando. We were in the B40's. I think there was quite a bit of family boarding since it was Orlando. The 5 of us had to all sit separately. (Youngest person with us was 21 so no worries.)

For the Chicago to Omaha leg, we were in B30's and plenty of seats together in the back.

When I have been sitting and waiting to check in at exactly 24 hours, we have all been able to sit together. My group is all adults now, but I may start buying EBCI for the return home, just because it's hard to remember to check in when on vacation. (I had set a reminder on my phone for 12:05 for a 12:15 flight; however, I did that while in Central time and apparently it doesn't adjust as it wasn't going to remind me until 1:05. I might not have heard that reminder either though. I just happened to pull it out for a photo at 12:16 and saw the SW app reminder.)
wow, that is a bit concerning lol

I don't mind sitting away from them as long as my wife is close to the kids.

Another thing that might work (I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is to take your chances with the 24-hour check-in. If you get a poor boarding group, you can try upgrading one person to the A-list which would give you an A1-15 spot. That person (it sounds like it would be your wife) can board first and grab 3 seats together (I would put bags on the seats so they don't appear "available.") While SW technically doesn't condone seat saving, I've done it numerous times (admittedly with only one seat) and never had an issue. If someone asks you if a seat is available, you just say no. And the A-list availability isn't guaranteed. But it is another option.

With the number of EBCIs being increased (with the new way that fares are broken out and the fact that SW credit card members get a certain number free), I fear that the days of the 24-hour check-ins getting mid-As is past. However, I did check in two minutes passed the time for my flight last week, got C13, and still got an exit row seat. It probably helped that I was a solo traveler, but it did make me want to go out and buy a lottery ticket.

you can try upgrading one person to the A-list which would give you an A1-15 spot.
And the A-list availability isn't guaranteed.

That would be Upgraded Boarding. A-list is status. Purchasing Business Select fare is dedicated for Boarding positions A1-A15, Upgraded Boarding sells the remainder IF there are any.

That would be Upgraded Boarding. A-list is status. Purchasing Business Select fare is dedicated for Boarding positions A1-A15, Upgraded Boarding sells the remainder IF there are any.

Agree. And just like EBCI, upgraded boarding is getting more popular. Especially now that you can book
it online. Family members flew in early December & upgraded was full & not offered on one of their flights.

My husband and 24 year old son are flying MEM to DAL tomorrow morning. I purchased their tickets two days ago (on Sunday) and bought Anytime tickets, just in case they ended up not going and we needed to be refunded. They are definitely going now. I did check-in earlier and they got A32 & A33. My question is if I changed their tickets now to WGA tickets to get some of my money back, they would lose their current boarding position, right? Would they still be checked in and since they wouldn't have EBCI anymore, how low would their new boarding position be? Just trying to decide whether to keep them as is or get the $160 cost difference refunded to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter