Post your Eastern Caribbean Excursions here!!!

Hello everyone! I have done a ton of research and have narrowed our St. Thomas excursion down to the Doubloon Turtle Cove or the Full Day Sail and Snorkel Turtle Cove/Honeymoon Beach. I have two questions though:

1. Are these 'family friendly' excursions? I have a young child and I am not looking to spend the day on a half naked, drunken party boat. I know alcohol is served, but do they keep it G-rated after that?

2. Are there bathrooms on the pirate ships (or catamaran as I've heard some people get put on those)?

I'd also like to know if there is any nudity on Honeymoon Beach in St. Thomas, or at Great Bay Beach in St. Maarten (the beach/boardwalk area right where the ships dock). Thanks for your help! We just don't want to stumble upon any unexpected scenery. :laughing:

We have the same concerns. Sounds like Trunk Bay is the beach to go to, but with 6 other cruise ships in St. Thomas that day, I fear Trunk Bay will be way too crowded to fully enjoy. So we decided to do the Champagne Catamaran to St. John. The sail over will be part of the experience. We have 6 adults in our party.

I have done this, now

(1) It is for "experienced" snorkelers, @ Turtle bay you get in your snorkel gear on the ship and jump of in it, you do not dock, you can go down the steps on the side of the boat, wood ones, and slippery and then try to get your gear on. The snorkelling was great however.

(2) No changing facilities on the boat, no modesty!!Have everything on underneath.

(3) Honeymoon bay is great there you can go into the sea and its not deep and walk to the beach or they run a small boat to it, food great, basic restroom. Sea fine.

Yes on ours there was an overflow catamaran that started after us but is faster overtook on both to turtle bay and to honeymoon bay, easier to get on and off. IMHO.

We just did this excursion this week. The pictures on the website are misleading. It is downhill over rocks and stumps, not like the pictures shown. Read all of the additional information as listed. After suffering a sprained ankle 2 months ago, I considered cancelling. I looked at the pictures and thought it looked easy enough. The description is more accurate- you will go downhill that entire time and you need to be physically fit to do it.

We just did this excursion this week. The pictures on the website are misleading. It is downhill over rocks and stumps, not like the pictures shown. Read all of the additional information as listed. After suffering a sprained ankle 2 months ago, I considered cancelling. I looked at the pictures and thought it looked easy enough. The description is more accurate- you will go downhill that entire time and you need to be physically fit to do it.

We are considering doing this excursion. Our youngest will be ust turning 10 at the time of our cruise. The description says ages 8 and up. Do you think it's too difficult for a 10 year old? Also, despite being more challenging than you expected is it still worth it, eg. was it nice scenery, a quality excursion, etc?

Well after doing more research, I discovered that there are bathrooms on the pirate ships. Can anyone speak to the 'family friendliness' of this excursion though (the full day or Doubloon sail and snorkel in St. Thomas)?

I read through this post a while ago and based on feedback on old posts we booked a private tour with Joyce Prince on St. Maarten. We had a great time! (We were there last week, Oct 7, 2014).

She picked us up at 8:30 a.m. She drove around my family of 5 in a white van (that had a cooler full of drinks). She was very good with my 3 kids and encouraged them to ask her questions.

Our first stop was a short hike at Guana Bay--we were the only ones there! We could see St. Barts in the distance. We then went to the Yoda Shop, followed by Maho Beach, and then spent a few hours at Mullet Bay Beach. We finished our tour with a drive around the French side of the island.

Our private tour for 5 was $350, and we were with her for about 7 hours. She called us in the U.S. once before our tour to talk about what we'd like to do.

I hope to have photos of our day with Joyce up on my blog soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://joyceprince.com/

I read through this post a while ago and based on feedback on old posts we booked a private tour with Joyce Prince on St. Maarten. We had a great time! (We were there last week, Oct 7, 2014).

She picked us up at 8:30 a.m. She drove around my family of 5 in a white van (that had a cooler full of drinks). She was very good with my 3 kids and encouraged them to ask her questions.

Our first stop was a short hike at Guana Bay--we were the only ones there! We could see St. Barts in the distance. We then went to the Yoda Shop, followed by Maho Beach, and then spent a few hours at Mullet Bay Beach. We finished our tour with a drive around the French side of the island.

Our private tour for 5 was $350, and we were with her for about 7 hours. She called us in the U.S. once before our tour to talk about what we'd like to do.

I hope to have photos of our day with Joyce up on my blog soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://joyceprince.com/

Here is my blog post about our day on St. Maarten: http://savingforadream.blogspot.com/2014/10/disney-fantasy-trip-report-part-5-st.html

Hey guys, we were on the Fantasy 10/4-10/11, visiting St Maarten & St Thomas... thought I would post a few thoughts.

Our goal was to avoid crowds and have a mellow time relaxing at the beach, so we didn't book any excursions. Instead, we walked off the boat and took a cab to our destinations, and in both cases it worked out great. The experience was hassle-free and relaxing, plus we got to meet some of the interesting (Hey mon!) locals along the way.

St. Maarten - Here we took a cab over to Little Bay. This was a great, quiet medium-sized beach. There are a couple resorts facing the beach with a bar that serves lunch nestled in between them. The bar is called Gizmo's, named after the parrot(s) that hang out there. The kids loved checking out the bird, the parents loved the blended beverages. Anyway, we rented a couple recliners and an umbrella @ $15 and had a great relaxing day at the beach. The kids and I rented a 3-seater jet ski ($60/30 min... although the 30 minutes was pretty loose, everyone there is so relaxed about time!), and had a great time blasting around the bay. We also jetted around the corner of the bay so we could see the cruise ship, but we didn't stay over there long, since the water was choppier. But it was very smooth and pretty in Little Bay. On our way out we did the 10-15 minute hike to the old fort that is at the top of the hill between the two bays. Fantastic views of pretty much everything, including the ships that were in port at the time. Only caution with Little Bay is that there will be a timeshare person trying to sell you stuff right where the cab drops you off. Smile and nod, and walk on by, the beach is public so you don't need to speak to anyone before settling in and enjoying yourself.

St. Thomas - In this case, we took a cab to Crown Bay and boarded the ferry to Water Island. Cab was maybe 15 mins, ferry about the same. Our destination was Honeymoon Beach... dare I say we liked it more than even the legendary Castaway Cay? It's pretty close (and we had a cabana at Castaway!). After getting off the ferry, there's a short 5 minute walk up a hill. Once reaching the top, you are greeted with a fabulous view of the beach. 5 minutes down the hill and you are at the beach - what a place! It was completely deserted when we arrived. There's a place to rent snorkeling gear on one end, and two choices of food. We ate lunch at Heidi's, which is basically a couple locals hanging out grilling and mixing drinks. They had fish tacos to die for!! Everything here was a bit overpriced, but in our minds very much worth it. Three set of snorkels @ $35, plate of tacos for $10, etc.

We saw a couple of the party boats come and go (they stay about an hour), but we were able to get about 4 hours at this fabulous place before packing up and heading back to the ferry. No cautions of note here... just a great time. Do note that the ferry leaves the mainland every hour in the morning, EXCEPT at 9am. So get there a bit before 10 (we arrived around 9 and had to wait... however there was a restaurant @ the ferry area w/bar and bathroom, so no big deal). I believe the return trips are at :15 after the hour (we left via the 2:15 ferry). Oh actually there is one caution - apparently traffic on the main drag gets real bad at around 3:15 when the schools let out, so it's best to be heading back to the ship between 2:30-3:00 so you don't get stuck in it (they want you back to the ship by 4 for 4:45 departure).

We've been on 3 Disney cruises, and so far St. Thomas is #1 on our list of places we'd like to come back and visit for a week. What a beautiful island. I have a few pics I could upload, but I don't quite have 10 posts on this board, so apparently I can't post them yet. I'll try to find something else to say, then add the pics to this thread...

That's about it for my short update, feel free to reply if you have questions, I am subscribed to the thread :).

Little Bay Beach, facing what appears to be the higher-end resort that is along the beach. Notice the fort on the top of the hill to the far right, great views from up there. There's the Fantasy poking up in the background, behind the resort!

agzy9r0.jpg

Little Bay Beach, facing the other direction. I could have stayed in this water all day :)

14oiJvL.jpg

Honeymoon Beach, the first sighting of it after cresting the hill. Amazing place.

mjxeGte.jpg

Honeymoon Beach, view from the ground. Good snorkeling along the rocks where the hills pictured meet the water. It's outside of the "swim area", but nobody will hassle you about it. We saw tons of fish, as well as a big sea turtle and a ray.

Ri9g6ki.jpg

Hey guys, we were on the Fantasy 10/4-10/11, visiting St Maarten & St Thomas... thought I would post a few thoughts.

Our goal was to avoid crowds and have a mellow time relaxing at the beach, so we didn't book any excursions. Instead, we walked off the boat and took a cab to our destinations, and in both cases it worked out great. The experience was hassle-free and relaxing, plus we got to meet some of the interesting (Hey mon!) locals along the way.

St. Maarten - Here we took a cab over to Little Bay. This was a great, quiet medium-sized beach. There are a couple resorts facing the beach with a bar that serves lunch nestled in between them. The bar is called Gizmo's, named after the parrot(s) that hang out there. The kids loved checking out the bird, the parents loved the blended beverages. Anyway, we rented a couple recliners and an umbrella @ $15 and had a great relaxing day at the beach. The kids and I rented a 3-seater jet ski ($60/30 min... although the 30 minutes was pretty loose, everyone there is so relaxed about time!), and had a great time blasting around the bay. We also jetted around the corner of the bay so we could see the cruise ship, but we didn't stay over there long, since the water was choppier. But it was very smooth and pretty in Little Bay. On our way out we did the 10-15 minute hike to the old fort that is at the top of the hill between the two bays. Fantastic views of pretty much everything, including the ships that were in port at the time. Only caution with Little Bay is that there will be a timeshare person trying to sell you stuff right where the cab drops you off. Smile and nod, and walk on by, the beach is public so you don't need to speak to anyone before settling in and enjoying yourself.

St. Thomas - In this case, we took a cab to Crown Bay and boarded the ferry to Water Island. Cab was maybe 15 mins, ferry about the same. Our destination was Honeymoon Beach... dare I say we liked it more than even the legendary Castaway Cay? It's pretty close (and we had a cabana at Castaway!). After getting off the ferry, there's a short 5 minute walk up a hill. Once reaching the top, you are greeted with a fabulous view of the beach. 5 minutes down the hill and you are at the beach - what a place! It was completely deserted when we arrived. There's a place to rent snorkeling gear on one end, and two choices of food. We ate lunch at Heidi's, which is basically a couple locals hanging out grilling and mixing drinks. They had fish tacos to die for!! Everything here was a bit overpriced, but in our minds very much worth it. Three set of snorkels @ $35, plate of tacos for $10, etc.

We saw a couple of the party boats come and go (they stay about an hour), but we were able to get about 4 hours at this fabulous place before packing up and heading back to the ferry. No cautions of note here... just a great time. Do note that the ferry leaves the mainland every hour in the morning, EXCEPT at 9am. So get there a bit before 10 (we arrived around 9 and had to wait... however there was a restaurant @ the ferry area w/bar and bathroom, so no big deal). I believe the return trips are at :15 after the hour (we left via the 2:15 ferry). Oh actually there is one caution - apparently traffic on the main drag gets real bad at around 3:15 when the schools let out, so it's best to be heading back to the ship between 2:30-3:00 so you don't get stuck in it (they want you back to the ship by 4 for 4:45 departure).

We've been on 3 Disney cruises, and so far St. Thomas is #1 on our list of places we'd like to come back and visit for a week. What a beautiful island. I have a few pics I could upload, but I don't quite have 10 posts on this board, so apparently I can't post them yet. I'll try to find something else to say, then add the pics to this thread...

That's about it for my short update, feel free to reply if you have questions, I am subscribed to the thread :).

Thank you for sharing! We were on your same cruise and are thinking about another Eastern. Your experiences sound wonderful.

Was there an age requirement for the kids on the jet ski? My kids would love to ride on the back of one, but not sure they're old enough. Thanks.

Well after doing more research, I discovered that there are bathrooms on the pirate ships. Can anyone speak to the 'family friendliness' of this excursion though (the full day or Doubloon sail and snorkel in St. Thomas)?

When we did it was very family friendly. It was all groups from the Disney ship but you never know what mix of people you will get. They served rum punch and beer only after the snorkeling and we didn't see anyone getting out of hand.

Thank you for sharing! We were on your same cruise and are thinking about another Eastern. Your experiences sound wonderful.

Was there an age requirement for the kids on the jet ski? My kids would love to ride on the back of one, but not sure they're old enough. Thanks.

I don't think those guys care too much, you just have to use common sense. They are responsible for holding on to the person in front of them, so if they're too small for that, then either don't do it or go very slowly out there! My kids are 13/10, so it was fine for us.

St. Thomas - In this case, we took a cab to Crown Bay and boarded the ferry to Water Island. Cab was maybe 15 mins, ferry about the same. Our destination was Honeymoon Beach... dare I say we liked it more than even the legendary Castaway Cay? It's pretty close (and we had a cabana at Castaway!). After getting off the ferry, there's a short 5 minute walk up a hill. Once reaching the top, you are greeted with a fabulous view of the beach. 5 minutes down the hill and you are at the beach - what a place! It was completely deserted when we arrived. There's a place to rent snorkeling gear on one end, and two choices of food. We ate lunch at Heidi's, which is basically a couple locals hanging out grilling and mixing drinks. They had fish tacos to die for!! Everything here was a bit overpriced, but in our minds very much worth it. Three set of snorkels @ $35, plate of tacos for $10, etc. We saw a couple of the party boats come and go (they stay about an hour), but we were able to get about 4 hours at this fabulous place before packing up and heading back to the ferry. No cautions of note here... just a great time. Do note that the ferry leaves the mainland every hour in the morning, EXCEPT at 9am. So get there a bit before 10 (we arrived around 9 and had to wait... however there was a restaurant @ the ferry area w/bar and bathroom, so no big deal). I believe the return trips are at :15 after the hour (we left via the 2:15 ferry). Oh actually there is one caution - apparently traffic on the main drag gets real bad at around 3:15 when the schools let out, so it's best to be heading back to the ship between 2:30-3:00 so you don't get stuck in it (they want you back to the ship by 4 for 4:45 departure). We've been on 3 Disney cruises, and so far St. Thomas is #1 on our list of places we'd like to come back and visit for a week. What a beautiful island. I have a few pics I could upload, but I don't quite have 10 posts on this board, so apparently I can't post them yet. I'll try to find something else to say, then add the pics to this thread... That's about it for my short update, feel free to reply if you have questions, I am subscribed to the thread :).
Thank you for this! I had not heard much about taking the ferry to Honeymoon Beach. I have looked into taking the ferry to St John to spend time on Trunk Beach but the commute time seems like it will take a considerable part of our day. This might be a great option. I really want to snorkel & to introduce my girls (7 & 5) to snorkeling. However, they might not last long so having the option to just play on the beach would be great! Your pictures look fabulous!

St. Thomas - In this case, we took a cab to Crown Bay and boarded the ferry to Water Island. Cab was maybe 15 mins, ferry about the same. Our destination was Honeymoon Beach... dare I say we liked it more than even the legendary Castaway Cay? It's pretty close (and we had a cabana at Castaway!). After getting off the ferry, there's a short 5 minute walk up a hill. Once reaching the top, you are greeted with a fabulous view of the beach. 5 minutes down the hill and you are at the beach - what a place! It was completely deserted when we arrived. There's a place to rent snorkeling gear on one end, and two choices of food. We ate lunch at Heidi's, which is basically a couple locals hanging out grilling and mixing drinks. They had fish tacos to die for!! Everything here was a bit overpriced, but in our minds very much worth it. Three set of snorkels @ $35, plate of tacos for $10, etc. We saw a couple of the party boats come and go (they stay about an hour), but we were able to get about 4 hours at this fabulous place before packing up and heading back to the ferry. No cautions of note here... just a great time. Do note that the ferry leaves the mainland every hour in the morning, EXCEPT at 9am. So get there a bit before 10 (we arrived around 9 and had to wait... however there was a restaurant @ the ferry area w/bar and bathroom, so no big deal). I believe the return trips are at :15 after the hour (we left via the 2:15 ferry). Oh actually there is one caution - apparently traffic on the main drag gets real bad at around 3:15 when the schools let out, so it's best to be heading back to the ship between 2:30-3:00 so you don't get stuck in it (they want you back to the ship by 4 for 4:45 departure). We've been on 3 Disney cruises, and so far St. Thomas is #1 on our list of places we'd like to come back and visit for a week. What a beautiful island. I have a few pics I could upload, but I don't quite have 10 posts on this board, so apparently I can't post them yet. I'll try to find something else to say, then add the pics to this thread... That's about it for my short update, feel free to reply if you have questions, I am subscribed to the thread :).
What an excellent review! Were there beach chairs to rent at honeymoon beach?

We just got off the Fantasy this past Saturday. In St. Maarten we took the water taxi to downtown (Dutch Side), looked around and then decided to take a taxi to Orient Beach. We rented an umbrella and chair on the non-nude side for a couple of hours before heading back to the ship via taxi. Next time I would like to try Soualiga or Robinson Boat tours as listed on Trip Advisor.

In St. Thomas we booked the St. John's Trunk Bay through DCL. The ferry ride was okay- when getting on and off of it the line was single file, so it took awhile to get off. The gas fumes where really bad. In addition, on the way back the man steering the boat was more interested in his cell phone than looking forward. With that said St. John's Trunk Bay was absolutely gorgeous! We loved it and didn't feel like it was too crowded! We are so happy we got a chance to see it. I think next time we will do the all day beach and snorkel tour like we originally planned.

St. Maarten - Two Tank Dive:
My boyfriend is the SCUBA diver, not me, so he went on this excursion. He said it was absolutely amazing. He grew up in St. Croix and has been on over 15 dives, and he said that this was hands down the coolest dive he's gone on. He saw more sharks than he'd ever seen at one time, including a 10 foot long nurse shark! Saw a spotted moray eel and of course lots of schools of fish, parrot fish, etc. He also said the Dive Master was extremely friendly and cool.

St. Thomas - Full Day Caribbean Sail & Snorkel to Turtle Cove & Honeymoon Beach:
We both went on this excursion. We were on the catamaran and it was very nice. There wasn't too much to see in the snorkeling area, but I just swam around and enjoyed the water, which was cool and relaxing. The rum punch served after snorkeling and while on the way back from Water Island to St. Thomas was super strong but tasty, you could have as much as you wanted. Plenty of water and soda onboard as well. The bathroom on the boat was clean.

Our guides were extremely friendly, they made the experience even better. Honeymoon beach was gorgeous, and the BBQ lunch that was there was delicious. There are some really cool rope swings on the beach, and you can also walk up the hill for a great view of the island from above. There's a cool little nature trail back down the hill.

So we recommend both excursions! :beach:

Has anyone done the Magan Bay Beach Break through DCL (St. Thomas)? We'll have a 2 and 6 year old so we're a bit limited in what we'll be able to manage, not sure it's worth the $ for a taxi ride and a beach chair though....

Has anyone done the Magan Bay Beach Break through DCL (St. Thomas)? We'll have a 2 and 6 year old so we're a bit limited in what we'll be able to manage, not sure it's worth the $ for a taxi ride and a beach chair though....

Everything I read suggested to avoid that place while on a cruise since that's where *everyone* goes.

Can't recommend Honeymoon Beach enough. See my post above.

Thank you for this! I had not heard much about taking the ferry to Honeymoon Beach. I have looked into taking the ferry to St John to spend time on Trunk Beach but the commute time seems like it will take a considerable part of our day. This might be a great option. I really want to snorkel & to introduce my girls (7 & 5) to snorkeling. However, they might not last long so having the option to just play on the beach would be great! Your pictures look fabulous!

Yeah that's why we chose Honeymoon over St. John's - wanted as much relax/fun time as possible. That's a great place to go w kids of that age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter