Potential DVC purchaser

Tatakai

Mouseketeer
:wave:
We are going over to WDW in Mid August with the intention of purchasing a piece of the DVC Magic.
What are peoples experiences and tips on purchasing?

Thanks
Paul & Andrea :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Hi Paul & Andrea!

I bought signt unseen over the telephone and paid by credit card. DVC made it extremely easy for me and I am the happy owner of 150 points at Saratoga Springs. There was no hard sell, no hassle and I recommend it!

We stayed at SSR for the first time last year and it puts a smile on my face just thinking about it :) You can also buy resale for the other DVC "sold out" resorts and SSR but I have not done that personally.

Having said that DVC is not for everyone, and I recommend taking a look at the FAQ thread above and hopefullt that may help with any questions you have :)

If not ask again and someone should be able to help :)

Karen

I bought a resale at OKW sight unseen. Finally got to visit in February and loved it - such a beautiful place. It's also got the biggest units for the least points - which is a big plus!!! I'm VERY happy with my purchase.

One thing to consider and that's which use year you buy. If you have a particular time of year you like to visit WDW, it's best to buy a contract with a use year that starts just before that. It's not essential, but it means you don't run the risk of losing points, should you have to cancel your trip.

I found this FAQ very helpful - reading this was what got me thinking about it all in the first place!!!

when you are at WDW make the effort book a visit to the member centre at Sartoga springs, as said previously there is no hard sell involved but it gives you chance to ask those questions important to you.
We did a tour then bought in 2 months after our return - its easy to do by phone and you will arrange it all through the guide who you made initial contact with at the centre.

Dont feel you are obliged to buy when you are over there - make sure it is for you

We also bought from the UK with lots of telephone calls to our guide. I'm sure that, if you're in WDW and take the tour, a lot of the questions we asked our guide will be answered during the tour.

I'd suggest gathering as much information as you can before you head out to WDW. Have you seen the promotional literature? Checking it out from home may give a list of queries you can raise once you're on the spot.

Good luck! :sunny:

We bought 2 resale contracts totalling 228 points at OKW sight unseen and are going on our first trip home in a few weeks. We chose a resale as we wanted OKW as our home resort and it was cheaper to buy it this way than through Disney. Do lots of research to make sure DVC is for you and work out the best use year for you. Our's is June as we usually go in August.

I did the same as Bexx, & TinkTatoo: resale OKW sight unseen... and am still loving it.
Have been every year since then, and last year did a quick solo trip which I would have never done if I was paying the cash. As far as I'm concerned it's already paid for itself.

There's so much info on the net that you can basically find out all you need there. They make it very easy for you to part with your money ;)

Thanks everyone , We really looking forward to purchasing a part of the Magic. First stop when we arrive in August is the DVC boooth in Down Town Disney
:earboy2:

We bought at SSR in 2003 and haven't regretted it for a second.

We looked at resale, but in the end decided that the 50 year contract at SSR and the location at Downtown Disney suited us best.

We had our first trip to SSR in October/November last year, staying in a 1 bedroom. The whole place was fantasic, really high quality.

One thing is to have a good idea if you want to buy SSR from disney or buy a resale contract, as once you do the tour there is a time limit on whatever special deal they are offering at the time. I can't remember how long it was.

We decided to buy when we returned home and paid by credit card. They posted all of the paperwork to us to sign, which was very clear and easy to do.

We've been members since 1997 and love it! We've taken the Disney cruise twice, not paying anything but $75 in total for my husband and myself. We've stayed at several WDW resorts and used our points towards a trip to DC. Great investment.

The best tip is to buy in the secondary market. We bought 230 points in OKW sight unseen. Our first trip is now Easter '06. We bid $69 a point - which after settlement fees increased it by $5 to $74 vs $89 or so at the time for Saratoga Springs.

Tips?
If you are buying using a credit card, make sure you have Nationwide and save yourself the 2.75% that the others charge - on such a big purchase it really makes a difference.
Don't forget that if you do buy from Disney, you have a cooling off period (I think it's 14 days) in which to change your mind - I wonder if anyone ever uses this :) I'm another very happy owner and bought in the early days. :flower: If I were buying today, I think I'd still be visiting most of the resorts first to see which was right for me - unless you know it's the extra 12 years of SSR which is the attraction for you.

Pootle said:
Tips?
If I were buying today, I think I'd still be visiting most of the resorts first to see which was right for me.

....or buying the cheapest resort with the lowest maintenance fees and simply using those points to book into the other resorts at the 7-month window.... ;)

You may want to look at the free DVC dvd which can be ordered from the website below

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/resorts/resortOverview?bhcp=1

If you want to speak to someone before you go and get an information pack in advance to be ahead of the game, why not call one of the vacation guides. I can recommend mine, a lovely lady called Jenna Mazza on 001 407 827 1863. She'll be happy to send you anything you want and arrange a meeting in advance. She'll also call you back on 'Mickey Time' to save your phone bill. You'll get no pressure from her just straightforward help.

Good luck and I hope we can welcome you to the club soon :earboy2:

Halo said:
....or buying the cheapest resort with the lowest maintenance fees and simply using those points to book into the other resorts at the 7-month window.... ;)
...... but if you believe what is being said on the US boards (and I do), it will become increasingly difficult to book into resorts other than SSR and OKW (ie the smaller ones) at the 7th month window.

We did the "tour" when we were at WDW and then came home still undecided. SIX MONTHS later we bought from the UK paying by credit card. The process was simple, the service great, the problems?? none!!! There was no hard sell, one phone call when we got home and then we were left in peace to make up our minds.

We bought at the Beach Club and absolutely love it. We did look at buying a holiday home in the UK but the "annual dues" and upkeep here was more expensive than WDW!!!!

Thanks folks for all your posts. We are definately going to buy when we are over in August , we are thinking on the lines of 250 points.
We'll keep you updated :earsgirl: :sunny: :earsboy:

Yep ordered our DDE's from our AP vouchers just a few weeks ago. They arrived within 3-4 weeks in the wrong surname. Phoned the DDE reservation line, and they Fedexed new ones within 4 days. Excellent service. We have non activated AP's at the moment.
Carolyn

How on earth did my reply to the DDE thread end up here?
Is it my dancing laptop mouse again? It seems to have a life of its own!
Does this need moving?
Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter