Potential Tropical Cyclone 5 & The Parks

hey yall - i have an overnight flight from LA monday -> tuesday, so right as the hurricane is near Florida...what might that mean for me? turbulence or flight delays?
It is projected to be a tropical storm, not a hurricane. Significantly less wind and turbulence to worry about. The airlines will most likely fly a circuitous route to avoid the worst of the storm. Perhaps flying from LA towards GA before turning south to MCO. Could delay your arrival slightly.

It is projected to be a tropical storm, not a hurricane. Significantly less wind and turbulence to worry about. The airlines will most likely fly a circuitous route to avoid the worst of the storm. Perhaps flying from LA towards GA before turning south to MCO. Could delay your arrival slightly.

thanks so much for the insight, feeling a lot better. guess we'll just be at Epcot slightly later than planned :)

I'm supposed to fly in Tuesday afternoon from the northeast, arriving in Orlando around 12:30. Will a tropical storm likely cancel the flight? Or this type of storm normally only leads to delays?

I'm supposed to fly in Tuesday afternoon from the northeast, arriving in Orlando around 12:30. Will a tropical storm likely cancel the flight? Or this type of storm normally only leads to delays?
Its still way to early to say. Typically this kind of storm would cause delays but some cancellations are possible. It depends on the actual path of the storm and its intensity. From the northeast you can expect your flight path will take you out over the atlantic almost all the way down and then a sharp right (west) to MCO. That will keep the plane out of the heaviest turbulence. At least that's what I predict based on current storm forecasts. Until I moved here 7 years ago I spent many a WDW visit flying from BOS or PVD to MCO and have experienced similar conditions.

I don't care, I paid my dues. After living in Central Florida for 25 years I moved to north Georgia 1-1/2 years ago. I don't miss not having to do the annual hurricane watches one bit.
I live in N. GA - your days may not be completely over. Our trees do not do well when the winds get up to us. We lost power for a week after Irma.

We are scheduled for MK tomorrow, so any information on how the parks operate would be really useful to me. (I grew up in Tampa, so I’m not concerned about anything under a cat 3)

I live in N. GA - your days may not be completely over. Our trees do not do well when the winds get up to us. We lost power for a week after Irma.

We are scheduled for MK tomorrow, so any information on how the parks operate would be really useful to me. (I grew up in Tampa, so I’m not concerned about anything under a cat 3)
Although we haven't lived in Georgia that long we have spent a lot of time here and owned several rental homes so I was somewhat familiar with the weather. As for Elsa's impact on WDW, having been a CM for decades and working through many storms and several hurricanes, I wouldn't be too concerned about Elsa.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter