Potty-training toddlers - what to do?

The Disney Bunch

Disney Fiends!!
My toddler girls are in the middle of potty-training. Anyone else been through this at WDW? Did you carry a portable potty? or one of those inflatable ones? Or did you hold the toddler over the adult toilet? I fear that if I don;t continue with their training we will go backwards for awhile & they are doing so well right now! Thanks for any advice & suggestions!!:earsgirl: :earsgirl:

I think I would continue to train but be more flexible and perhaps do the pull-up's so that an accident dosen't turn into an embarrassing situation. Be aware that it may be just to much fun and they may backslide a bit anyway - you can always re-group after vacation.

I had a small folding "seat" that fit inside the regular toilet making it small enough for a child. I think it was from the right start - try www.rightstart.com and do a search.

It was lightweight and folded small enough to fit into a small diaper bag. I would also recommend some stickers for the automatic toilets. My girls were to small for the sensor to see them and they would flush at the worst times. A sticker over the sensor kept this from happening. Just remember to remove it when your done :-)

I didn't even remember the sensors! Thank you for that idea - Arabella would never go near the bathroom again if the toilet flushed while she was on it! Thank you!

We just put it off.

I haven't "actively" trained either of my kids. Just kind of showed them what was up and was patient (very patient). (Ok, I tried with them both, but was only driving myself crazy. The middle of potty training for my son was about nine months after he first used the toilet. I haven't established a middle for my daughter yet, as she isn't done). My son waited until he was 3 1/2 to show enough interest to really get going - about a week before the trip.

I said "Oh, honey, I'm glad you finally want to do this - and I'm so happy. But lets wear pull ups for the trip. If you want to use the potty at Disney, let mom know and we can stop."

He never asked - did all his business in the pull up - and switched into underwear with no accidents two days after we got home.

I did bring the right start folding seat thing - I wasn't impressed. The silver lining to being 3 1/2 when they get interested is that they can use a big toilet without help or accessories.

We did what Dh calls "forced potty breaks" when we pass a bathroom we ALL go and at least 'try'. We also ALWAYS went after we ate. This saved us accidents AND saved the"we waited in line for 1/2 hour only to be next and hear 'i have to go NOW' issue". We got a folding potty seat hat fit right in my purse. But after using it 1 or 2 times they just sat on the 'big seat' and did fine. ;)

When in the parks, you might want to visit the babycare center(family centers). Each park has one. The bathrooms are family size and quiet, and there are even chairs and a tv. The toddlers might feel alot more comfortable and less rushed to go potty. Just ask guest relations when you enter the parks. By the way, Animal Kingdoms baby center is gorgeous!

Stickers for the sensors is a great idea! Oh my gosh, I have been holding my finger over those all this time - I can now give my finger a rest!

thanks for a great idea!

Karen

I brought a wal mart 10.00 seat (the kind that sits on the toilet seat) for the hotel room and then when we were at the Parks we took plenty of potty breaks and wore pull ups in case of an accident.

Took 2 1/2 yo dd last year when she had been training for about 1-2 weeks(her idea to use the potty not mine). I had her wear pull-ups the whole time "just in case" but she never had an accident. I just kept the same potty schedule that we had at home and we went to the potty every 1 1/2-2hrs. She used the regular potty with no special seat and she did fine. I always wiped the seat with a baby wipe before she used it and if you can get a handicapped stall, I always had my dd sit on it side ways and they could hold onto the handicap handle that is on the wall. This helps keeps their hands busy so they won't try to put them on the seat.

If you don't have stickers, a damp piece of paper towel or tp will also stick to the sensor's "eye" and keep it from flushing. My son was terrified of the sound (too loud) and we had to "trick" the toilets for the whole trip!

Unless they are very close to being completely trained, I'd probably use pull ups and just try to keep doing whatever you do at home as much as possible. My own dd was 22 mo and almost out of diapers when we went in January....and it did set us back a bit because she became used to the pull ups again. But then again, I almost had her out of diapers when she was 6mo but a Disney trip threw us for a loop (as a baby she'd cry out every time she had to go...she's never slept with a diaper at all). Same situation this July. In August I finally stopped using the pull ups completely.....and she has adapted. for a long time she was diaper free at home, but in pull ups when we'd go out.

Every child is so different though. My dd will not sit on a big toilet and will no longer let me hold her over one (like I did when she was a baby). So we now take our Baby Bjorn Little Potty everywhere. I hope she'll grow out of it soon.

I think a big event like a trip to Disney is going to mess with the regular routine no matter what...but even more so with toilet learning. Don't worry about it because whatever is going to happen is going to happen!

I always wiped the seat with a baby wipe before she used it and if you can get a handicapped stall, I always had my dd sit on it side ways and they could hold onto the handicap handle that is on the wall. This helps keeps their hands busy so they won't try to put them on the seat.
Please keep in mind that the handicapped stall is the only one that some people are able to use, so please only use it for your toilet training child if no one else needs it and you know that you will be very quick. I realize the handicapped stall is not reserved for people with disabilities, but, I have had people tell their children to "Run ahead and get the stall before that girl in the wheelchair can get there" and we have had to wait for long periods of time waiting for a toddler who says "no" he's not going while the mom says he needs to sit there until he goes.

SueM--I would never think of having my child go into the handicapped stall if there was someone there waiting to use it. Thought I was offering a helpful suggestion not teaching anyone to be rude and not thoughtful to anyone with a disability!

I wasn't accusing anyone of being rude (and I'm sorry if that's what it sounded like), just saying, here's something you may not have thought about.

The example that I gave of the person who knew we were waiting for the handicapped stall, but "beat" us to it was a rude person. The other one (a mom telling her kid he couldn't leave until he went) wasn't a rude person, just someone who didn't realize how long they were in that stall.

One thing I do like that Disney supplies is the flushable seat cover. I have to say too that they do a very good job at keeping the restrooms clean.

We were contemplating about bringing the fold up potty seat that fits over the big seat, but I remembered the Disney supplies the flushable seat cover. Just remember to wash hands when you are all done to not spread germs!!

Lisa

My DD says the big public pottys "hurt" when she sits on them - we use the toddler sized cushioned potty seat at home on the adult tiolet. I think I might take the seat with us to the parks in my backpack - we always carry a backpack anyway..... might be a hassle to carry around, but it will make things much easier in the bathroom & my DD will be much more comfortable.

Let's get real - This is a vacation. Put on the Pull-ups and enjoy!
There is plenty of time to train when you get home. I can't believe how many people actually bring along fold up potty chairs! Keep life simple and enjoy.

Hi...this is my take on the situation...
I would put them in "potty-training underware" these are the underware that is slighty padded so if they go...they will feel the wetness on them but it will not go all over the floor. They sell them at K-mart and Sears is where I have seen them.This is what I used with both my girls...works great. I personally think that the puul-ups are a waste of money and make the process take longer. My 2nd daughter will be 25 months when we go this Dec.and I new that I wanted to have her all trained by then or we might be inbetween like it seems you are. You didn't say when you're going??Maybe it will be done by your trip.

As for the person who had the comment about the fold up potty...yes it is a vacation,but you don't want to go backwards,that confuses children and I used the fold up seat because my child was afraid of the big seat...not because of germs!!
Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are good times to go on vacation, and there are bad times to go on vacation. During (or just after) potty training is a bad time.

Seriously, if you have not started training yet, I'd wait until after your vacation. If that won't work, start a little earlier than expected so that the habit can be well established by the time your vacation rolls around.

Regardless, avoid pull-ups like the plague. They seriously hamper potty training because they feel just like diapers. One possible exception: night time.

The preschool where I teach is one of the few in our area that does not require 3 year olds to be totaly trained to come to school. Therefor I get to talk with a lot of moms that have slightly older taining children. I learned fast that what works for one family does not work for another. With my DS I put him in regular underwear right at his 2nd birthday and never looked back. He was trained by the end of the week. Night trained in just a couple weeks. Bought 1 pack of pull ups for those hard to get off church cloths and never used them all. I however have offered this advice to other parents and some are appaled at the chance of urine on the floor. Some belive in letting the child decide when they want to train. That's ok untill we tell them they can't come to the 4-your old class untrained.Then they get worried. A parent has to be comfortable with and commited to what ever form he or she decides to use.

Jordan's mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter