Prayers for my newly disgnosed mom

mom2aredhead

DIS Veteran
My mother was just diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer.
She has always been healthy, now all of a sudden at age 63 this has devastated our family. From what I understand, this can be "managed" but not "cured". Her dream of seeing her grandchildren graduate high school appears (they are both under 4) appears to be unlikely.
She and my son adore each other. The thought of her being too weak, frail and ill to enjoy her time with him...well, there are tears streaming down my face right now.
Prayers please...our family will never be the same.

I understand your fears, having been diagnosed myself with breast cancer when my children were just 5 years old. It is devastating. But remember, breast cancer today is not an automatic death sentence, though I'm sure it feels that way right now for your family. As they told you, many times it can be treated like a chronic illness. Use people like Lance Armstrong, Elizabeth Edwards and Tony Snow as role models for your mother to see. Many, many people today are not only surviving, but thriving with metastatic cancer, some you didn't even know had it.

http://www.acor.org/tcrc/lance.html

As you begin to talk about it, you'll hear lots of inspirational stories from others (along with the bad ones). The first story I heard which made me feel better was from my children's kindergarten teacher. She told me her sister was diagnosed at age 27 with Stage IV breast cancer and 17 years later was doing great. She went on to have 3 children after cancer even. I held onto that story and when I'd get nervous I'd think about that and other great stories I heard or read about.

It helps to get some support with coping - our medical teams are great at helping our physical bodies but not our minds. And sometimes it's the mind that's the hardest thing to heal. Some people benefit greatly from cancer support centers who offer counseling services and run support groups, etc. Others cope on their own pretty well, but be sure to allow her to discuss her fears or she may bottle them up and become depressed like many do when they're going through this type of health crisis. Having gone through it myself, I can say I am so glad I found my support center when I did. I was laying awake all night worrying about everything and the social worker and nurse at my center really helped me learn to channel my worries using a better way of thinking. There is a book called The Wellness Book which has some excellent suggestions for coping with illness if you want to take a peek at them.

I will pray your mother will be one of the long term survivors. If you or your mother need support or inspiration, we have a thread going just for breast cancer survivors and those who love them. Feel free to drop in anytime. :hug:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=810357&referrerid=70088

Thanks Pea-n-Me...it is so scary when you get that diagnosis, you think it is a death sentence, but people are now living with cancer rather than dying with it... there is hope and you have to just live each day and take what comes your way.. There are some wonderful ladies here on the Dis as Pea-n-me is telling you that have survived breast cancer.

Do visit their thread on the CB for hope and understanding, they are great and they are living...

Please try not to worry.....there are success stories as was previously stated and she may do great... Hugs to you and prayers of course.

I lost my mother to breast cancer....but, we had her for 24 years after her original diagnosis. Most of those years we really good years for her. The last year and a half was hard for all of us, but we still made precious memories during that time. Your mother, you and your family will be in my prayers.

Thinking of your family, mom2aredhead.

Please come over to the Survivor thread link on the CB Pea-n-me posted.
We have survivors and family members there who can give info and support.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. It can be devastating when someone we love receives a grim diagnosis, especially difficult I think for a daughter with an ill mother. :hug:

It's very very difficult at this time, just after diagnosis. Understandably overwhelming for all of you, for different reasons and perspectives. Your mother and the rest of the family WILL get through this, and once her initial treatment is planned and underway, you may all feel more able to focus on living.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and as the other ladies have said we are always around on the survivor's thread for info, support or just diversion...whatever you want/need from friends who understand and care. :hug:

Your family is in my thoughts & prayers! Both of my grandmothers had and survived Breast Cancer! I just finished reading Saving Graces by Elizabeth Edwards. This book was ABSOLUTELY amazing and I highly recommend it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter