Premium Meadow Site - easiest for backing in

pixie36

Mouseketeer
We have a 42.3 ft 5th wheel and backing in on tight spots will be a challenge for us. Based on what I've been reading Fort Wilderness backing in can be very difficult.

We have premium meadow site reserved would like recommendations on the easiest site #'s if there is such a thing to back into? I have looked at the pictures from the Wilderness Princess site and that is helpful but would like to hear more feedback from those who have went and maybe are not experts at backing-in!!

TIA

Ok, so you looked at this? https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/
Next oprion is to tell them on the reservation , you have a large rig and cant back up.
And last thing, and this works. Get into the fort early. When checking in tell them your predicament, so I have a large rig and cant back up well. They have individual site maps with clearances and will help you get the best site avaliable for your needs. But you have to get there early, well before normal check in, and may have to wait for the site to become avaliable. So you would need to stage at the rv overflow lot untill they text you your number. This works, and the earlier you arrive, the better you options will be. Just note, some are so easy to back up into, you are going to screw it up. Murphys law, not mine. Have fun!

We have a 42.3 ft 5th wheel and backing in on tight spots will be a challenge for us. Based on what I've been reading Fort Wilderness backing in can be very difficult.

Not really. PM sites are generally very generous with back in space, turnouts, and depth/width of sites.

Are there a few tight PM sites? Sure.
Are there plenty more spacious PM sites to enjoy? Absolutely.

We have premium meadow site reserved would like recommendations on the easiest site #'s if there is such a thing to back into? I have looked at the pictures from the Wilderness Princess site and that is helpful but would like to hear more feedback from those who have went and maybe are not experts at backing-in!!

It depends, @pixie36.

Thing is, we don't know the sites that will be available on the day you arrive. So there are many PM loops (five of them) and everyone has their own opinion. For decades, we have advised folks not to get hung up on specific site numbers but instead consider a loop that they prefer (and then be flexible). You can always roll down to your assigned site and if you can't back in (rare in a PM site), you can call the Front Desk and ask for any other empty site you see along the way (it's only an ask).

The Fort Front Desk has a book of sites with back in descriptions (easy, medium, hard, etc.) but the feedback has been that "what's easy for you is not easy for me". It all depends on if there is a trash can along the road that's in the way, if your neighbor's truck is in an inconvenient location, or you lucked out getting a site on the tightest part of the curve in your loop. There is no simple answer.

You can ask for any "easy" site when you check in.

You can try your best to back in when you get to your site.

You can ask folks to move their trucks or help to get you in.

You can ask for a different site you see that you think will work (it's only an "ask").

People can you give "easy" site numbers but if those sites aren't open on the day you arrive, it's worthless info. What is useful is the approach above.

Some folks will complain about a tight back-in. But based on the high occupancy rate, there are many more that don't have a problem. You'll become an expert backing in no problem.

Have a great trip!

Bama Ed

_MG_7644-1.jpg

this was our last setup that we had at the Fort. this was a different campground, but 43 ft trailer, hitch located over rear dual. I know there are several others with setups like this that fit into the Fort. One has a 48 foot trailer being pulled by a tractor cab, and they have a car between the camper and cab of tractor.
Not good at backing, find a large parking lot, couple of milk jugs filled with colored water, back up, pull up circle around, do it again. Pro athletes don't just play on game day, practice, practice, practice.

Ok, so you looked at this? https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/
Next oprion is to tell them on the reservation , you have a large rig and cant back up.
And last thing, and this works. Get into the fort early. When checking in tell them your predicament, so I have a large rig and cant back up well. They have individual site maps with clearances and will help you get the best site avaliable for your needs. But you have to get there early, well before normal check in, and may have to wait for the site to become avaliable. So you would need to stage at the rv overflow lot untill they text you your number. This works, and the earlier you arrive, the better you options will be. Just note, some are so easy to back up into, you are going to screw it up. Murphys law, not mine. Have fun!
Thanks we were planning to get there no later than 10-1030 in the morning.

Thanks
View attachment 637164

this was our last setup that we had at the Fort. this was a different campground, but 43 ft trailer, hitch located over rear dual. I know there are several others with setups like this that fit into the Fort. One has a 48 foot trailer being pulled by a tractor cab, and they have a car between the camper and cab of tractor.
Not good at backing, find a large parking lot, couple of milk jugs filled with colored water, back up, pull up circle around, do it again. Pro athletes don't just play on game day, practice, practice, practice.
Thanks and I think I’ve seen a YouTube video with that same bright yellow semi truck backing up Into a site!

Thanks

Thanks and I think I’ve seen a YouTube video with that same bright yellow semi truck backing up Into a site!

They have a cast member who can help you back in, I have heard he is very good at his job. Just let them know when you check in they will send him to your site to help guide you in. Most of the premiums are not too bad, there are a couple a bit tighter than others, but for the most part not a reason to lose sleep over.

The sites are great. My problem was the wonderful neighbors with their vehicles and golf carts sticking out in the street. Well, plus the Halloween decorations set up close to the road also!
Ha! Get off my grass LOL. :rotfl2:

The sites are great. My problem was the wonderful neighbors with their vehicles and golf carts sticking out in the street. Well, plus the Halloween decorations set up close to the road also!
Ha! Get off my grass LOL. :rotfl2:

we were in a premium meadow this past november, I did have to "move" the xmas decorations on the site across from us, they were right up to the road, (inconsiderate campers IMHO) I usually just run them over but the DW was in a "mood" so i got out and pulled them up and "carefully" placed them in there drive. then the site was easy to back in. first try actually, you should be ok. I have never had to relocate due to back up issues, camping at FW almost every year since 2003

Been to the Fort 3 times. 2012. Loop 500. 540 something comes to mind. It was right across from the dog park. My mom, wife and I would walk our dogs over to the park in the morning before the park., small angle but mostly 90 degrees from the road. Got the truck and trailer into the site. People across the way were parked in the road. I managed to get a F150 Ext cab short bed with a 30 foot trailer parked into the spot. It would have been easier if the people across were not parked in the street for whatever reason. Also at the time, my trailering skills were not as good as they are today. So I would have preferred more room to move.

2014 Loop 800. 863 Angled from the road. Same 30 foot trailer just different truck. 250 crew cab short bed. Everything went in perfect no issues.

2015 Loop 700. 705 90 degrees from the road.in with frontal hazards. Same truck and trailer. easily the worst site I had at Disney. 90 degree back in swing. Small culvert with railing along the site and road way. Trash cans, walking trail. Something else like post for the doggie clean up bags. Barely got the rig into the space. Took about 5 times in the dark to get into the space. When my wife showed up, I was on attempt #3 getting into it. She was going to drive back to the office and see if there was another site. I also had another camper spot me on the front end of the truck so I didn't run into the culvert, fence or the trash cans. My wife spotted the back. Nearly hit the utilities there as well. However once in, the site was really nice just sucked getting the trailer in. The departure was the same thing. I had a few attempts getting the trailer out.

Most of the sites are going to be on an angle to get in. There are a few that are not so much. Smaller vehicles and trailers can get in but larger rigs not so much most likely. Good luck.

Been to the Fort 3 times. 2012. Loop 500. 540 something comes to mind. It was right across from the dog park. My mom, wife and I would walk our dogs over to the park in the morning before the park., small angle but mostly 90 degrees from the road. Got the truck and trailer into the site. People across the way were parked in the road. I managed to get a F150 Ext cab short bed with a 30 foot trailer parked into the spot. It would have been easier if the people across were not parked in the street for whatever reason. Also at the time, my trailering skills were not as good as they are today. So I would have preferred more room to move.

2014 Loop 800. 863 Angled from the road. Same 30 foot trailer just different truck. 250 crew cab short bed. Everything went in perfect no issues.

2015 Loop 700. 705 90 degrees from the road.in with frontal hazards. Same truck and trailer. easily the worst site I had at Disney. 90 degree back in swing. Small culvert with railing along the site and road way. Trash cans, walking trail. Something else like post for the doggie clean up bags. Barely got the rig into the space. Took about 5 times in the dark to get into the space. When my wife showed up, I was on attempt #3 getting into it. She was going to drive back to the office and see if there was another site. I also had another camper spot me on the front end of the truck so I didn't run into the culvert, fence or the trash cans. My wife spotted the back. Nearly hit the utilities there as well. However once in, the site was really nice just sucked getting the trailer in. The departure was the same thing. I had a few attempts getting the trailer out.

Most of the sites are going to be on an angle to get in. There are a few that are not so much. Smaller vehicles and trailers can get in but larger rigs not so much most likely. Good luck.

Sounds like your overdue for a trip to the FORT!

I agree, sometimes the garbage xans and peoples cars make it harder to get into the site. Other times its overconfidence, lol. My camper isnt that big, we had a tent site one year for half the stay, almost no room to back in, and I got it perfect first try. They moved us to a full hook up, for the second part. Man it was huge, and to get it luned up took like 6 tries. Lol. So sometimes the room dosen't matter, its your state of mind and if you get rattled after messing up the first time. Especially when everyone is watching. Best advice, dont get rattled, take your time, and go slow.

I always request a site on the outside of the loop. The Fort Sites website usually rates them as difficult to back in because it is turning to the blind side. The turn usually isn't very tight, sometimes almost straight in, and with a rear view camera on my 38 ft fifth wheel I usually don't have to ask the dog for many directions when backing in. Usually the DW flies in a couple days later after we are fully set up. The turn to get to a site on the inside sometimes is very tight, especially depending on where people park. We've been in the 1200 or 1300 loop the last 6 times.

Look I don't judge other people when they are backing in a site or setting up without my score card. I know at different trailer rallies it is a running joking on set up days to have the early birds in the section to site and use score cards like Olympic judges.

So this was the clown show we pulled up to. Our site is on the left. Halloween decoratons on the left corner. Pickup right up to the road across. Up on the grass on the right was a golf cart. We weren't pulling a trailer, we were in a motorhome that doesn't bend in the middle. They moved the golf cart so I could start my turn but it took some finesse to get past the front end of the pickup! Once in though it was a nice, wide, fairly deep site.

I've had a few tight spots and it never dawned on me to ask for another one. 🤔
Major credit goes to my wife who is my most excellent spotter. She got me past that pickup with only inches between the two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter