Private Cabanas at Magic Kingdom: Last Day to Rent One - February 17, 2017

While I hate to follow @rteetz bomb above (lol!).... here’s my review of our cabana experience. Some of this repeats things I’ve already noted in other posts above but wanted to get everything in one post. Sorry this is so long, but hopefully this info is helpful to those considering a cabana rental. There's a lot to cover!
  • First off…this is obviously a Disney experiment… I would expect the details of the cabana rentals in their current form to perhaps change or be tweaked along the way. Everything I say below could change or evolve over time. Heck, the entire concept may fail, who knows. I was asked if I’d be willing to have a 20-30 minute interview survey sometime after our rental.
  • Our overall experience was excellent, but you can tell everything about this is "new" for the CMs involved and probably even the execs pushing this into existence.
  • I found the initial CM that I made the reservation with had limited information (not surprising), but I was contacted by another CM a few days after I made the reservation who was quite knowledgeable and very informed. He even followed up with me later on a few items. I was not expecting this kind of proactive outreach.
  • There are four cabanas and frankly we had trouble even finding our way in to them. Yes you can see the tops of two of them if you're over by Space Mountain but they are otherwise very well disguised. There is certainly nothing there at the moment that even sniffs at Disney trying to sell them in a visual sense.
  • The cabana offerings were exactly as described in the announcements to date. You have access from park opening to park close. In our case, it was a holiday party so we had access to the cabana during that event as well.
  • It's a semi-private tent with several seating areas pillows, a blanket, etc. They offered a pack-n-play for our 2 year old which we said yes to, but didn't end up actually using. There's a small fridge with drinks and a lockable cabinet for valuables. The cabana is tastefully decorated and very comfortable. I want some of the Tomorrowland posters for my office!
  • There is a cabana CM attendant who is pretty much "around" all of the time and you are given a phone number to contact him/her for food or other requests. Worked extremely well. Very professional CMs with great customer service.
  • There was a large fruit bowl with apples, bananas, and grapes. Also a snack bowl with chips, goldfish, etc. It was replenished during the day. We did indulge on a couple of Mickey Bars. I was under the impression there’s no limit on the ice cream ordering but I’m not 100% sure about that.
  • My biggest gripe is probably the food that was available to order. Bland/limited selection that I’m assuming came from the Lunching Pad or somewhere similar. For this kind of experience I’d prefer to have better dining options available, although I know that’s easier said than done.
  • The cabana had one of those tower Dyson fans, but no A/C or heat. We were told they are either considering or will be installing portable A/C and heating units soon. It was a beautiful day with a nice breeze which made the cabana quite pleasant, but you would definitely need A/C or heat depending on the conditions given how enclosed they are.
  • One note - the cabanas are right next to the train tracks, especially the "back two" cabanas behind the ones you can see from the outside. The back of our cabana was about 10 ft from the tracks. It's loud for a few seconds when the engine rolls by.... my son loved it actually (and he easily managed a catnap mid-afternoon). You can't really see the train as it's well hidden by bushes. Otherwise, it's actually reasonably quiet. Sure you can hear the buzz of Tomorrowland, but it's really quite pleasant. I particularly enjoyed hearing (and watching) People Mover being evac'd at one point. ;-)
  • We had access to a reserved viewing location for:
    • FOF parade (Town Square / Flag Pole area).
    • The nighttime holiday parade (small reserved viewing area next to the Liberty Square Bridge with benches). This was great by the way and frankly one of the biggest benefits for us.
    • Wishes (in this case, Holiday Wishes). We were told the reserved fireworks viewing location was that area on the east side of the Hub in front of The Plaza Restaurant, the one that used to be the FP fireworks viewing area (that part with the fake grass). That area was NOT reserved and we weren't able to actually find any reserved spot, but this could have been user error on my part in that maybe I misunderstood the exact location. Either they were wrong or I was wrong, I'm not sure. Didn't matter though, didn't need a reserved spot. Walked up 2 minutes before fireworks and had a great seat in the old FP viewing area anyway. If you are renting a cabana and the fireworks viewing is important to you, make sure to ask detailed questions about this.
So my overall thoughts... I thought it was great! It was a fun new way to experience our favorite park. We’re relatively experienced Disney folks but not commandoes – our kids are young and the moments of downtime the cabana offered were well appreciated.

Was it "worth" the cost? This one is tougher. Disney certainly has these priced at the top end of my personal comfort zone for what is offered at the moment. A part of me thinks they have the price set a little too high based on the current offerings and amenities but I'm sure they're trying to test how far they can go. It would certainly be a better “deal” for a larger group.

I think the setup would be EXCELLENT for extended families who have older folks that don’t want to traipse all over the park. My mother would be happy as a clam sitting there all day with a book.

Would I book it again? Yes, given the right circumstances. Depending on overall trip length, touring plan, etc, I would definitely consider it. For context, this was a short trip for us (3 days, with only 1 MK day). Personally a cabana wouldn’t be that appealing for me on a longer trip where we’re going to be in the MK multiple days.

I suspect some folks will find the location of these to be the biggest negative, and I kind of agree. Tomorrowland is just a bit out of the way from where we usually find ourselves in the park. This wouldn’t be enough for us NOT to book one, but it’s a consideration.

Happy to answer any questions! Thanks for reading.

1.5 acres for cabanas in Star Wars land? :sad2:

I REALLY hope this rumor is wrong. With all the amazing things they can do with Star Wars, I really hope they don't waste all that space with cabanas. I am not surprised that the Imagineers are unhappy. :sad2:

Just to play devil's advocate .... and have some fun!
- That is a lot of space for just cabanas, especially in SWL :yoda:
- Could it be that there is a bigger plan at that park? for tent city.
- More than just a rest area, but more of an experience.
- Maybe a highly immersive village that SW fans would love to "live" in?
- Maybe more offerings there for food, character interaction & SW perks?
- Maybe more activity in the village?
- And maybe a higher price tag?
- Maybe built last after the SWL is complete?
- In a space that may not take away from the plan they have?

While many of us are die-hard Muppet fans ....
... I think there is still the feeling Muppet's Courtyard may not survive past SWL opening.
Especially since PizzaRizzo seems to be under-themed.

Muppet's Courtyard is 1.5 acres ............. just food for thought.

3A00F28B-B44C-4A12-9677-B2F3764641EC.jpg

1.5 acres for cabanas in Star Wars land? :sad2:
My thoughts exactly. More than 10% of this new land will be dedicated to a secondary revenue stream that will accommodate only a very small percentage of guests.

On the other hand. I'm not, nor have I ever been in the business of running a theme park. So what do I know? (That was a rhetorical question)

My thoughts exactly. More than 10% of this new land will be dedicated to a secondary revenue stream that will accommodate only a very small percentage of guests.

On the other hand. I'm not, nor have I ever been in the business of running a theme park. So what do I know? (That was a rhetorical question)
Put it this way, let's say they put 100 cabanas on the 1.5 acres.

$650 * 100 = $65,000 in one day
$650 * 100 * 365 = $23,725,000 in one year

Now we don't know how many cabanas would be on this 1.5 acres, nor do we know if the price would be the same. I have a feeling a themed cabana inside the Star Wars experience could go for more than $650 a day.

Rumor from Jim Hill

Cabana Test- Final version of cabanas in MK would have firework views. They would go in the area where the Tomorrowland Skyway station was. They would be on the second level for views of the park. http://www.yesterland.com/reminders.html
-Epcot test would put the tents in the future world area between FW and WS where they place the flower and garden kids playground.
-1.5 acres set aside in Star Wars Experience for permanent cabanas, Star Wars Experience is supposed to be 14 acres total, 1.5 of that dedicated to cabanas...
-Imagineers not happy about this and the theming aspect.

Unfortunately the Imagineers will probably lose this fight. They spend money, these cabanas bring it in :(

These sound a lot like the pool cabana we rented over in DL at the DLH. I've never rented one at WDW so no idea if they are the same or not but the set up inside sounds identical. Price is way higher though. I'd consider one but not at the current price point and food offerings. Maybe they can switch it to The Plaza for food? There is nothing offered in TomorrowLand I care to ever eat again.

While I hate to follow @rteetz bomb above (lol!).... here’s my review of our cabana experience. Some of this repeats things I’ve already noted in other posts above but wanted to get everything in one post. Sorry this is so long, but hopefully this info is helpful to those considering a cabana rental. There's a lot to cover!
  • First off…this is obviously a Disney experiment… I would expect the details of the cabana rentals in their current form to perhaps change or be tweaked along the way. Everything I say below could change or evolve over time. Heck, the entire concept may fail, who knows. I was asked if I’d be willing to have a 20-30 minute interview survey sometime after our rental.
  • Our overall experience was excellent, but you can tell everything about this is "new" for the CMs involved and probably even the execs pushing this into existence.
  • I found the initial CM that I made the reservation with had limited information (not surprising), but I was contacted by another CM a few days after I made the reservation who was quite knowledgeable and very informed. He even followed up with me later on a few items. I was not expecting this kind of proactive outreach.
  • There are four cabanas and frankly we had trouble even finding our way in to them. Yes you can see the tops of two of them if you're over by Space Mountain but they are otherwise very well disguised. There is certainly nothing there at the moment that even sniffs at Disney trying to sell them in a visual sense.
  • The cabana offerings were exactly as described in the announcements to date. You have access from park opening to park close. In our case, it was a holiday party so we had access to the cabana during that event as well.
  • It's a semi-private tent with several seating areas pillows, a blanket, etc. They offered a pack-n-play for our 2 year old which we said yes to, but didn't end up actually using. There's a small fridge with drinks and a lockable cabinet for valuables. The cabana is tastefully decorated and very comfortable. I want some of the Tomorrowland posters for my office!
  • There is a cabana CM attendant who is pretty much "around" all of the time and you are given a phone number to contact him/her for food or other requests. Worked extremely well. Very professional CMs with great customer service.
  • There was a large fruit bowl with apples, bananas, and grapes. Also a snack bowl with chips, goldfish, etc. It was replenished during the day. We did indulge on a couple of Mickey Bars. I was under the impression there’s no limit on the ice cream ordering but I’m not 100% sure about that.
  • My biggest gripe is probably the food that was available to order. Bland/limited selection that I’m assuming came from the Lunching Pad or somewhere similar. For this kind of experience I’d prefer to have better dining options available, although I know that’s easier said than done.
  • The cabana had one of those tower Dyson fans, but no A/C or heat. We were told they are either considering or will be installing portable A/C and heating units soon. It was a beautiful day with a nice breeze which made the cabana quite pleasant, but you would definitely need A/C or heat depending on the conditions given how enclosed they are.
  • One note - the cabanas are right next to the train tracks, especially the "back two" cabanas behind the ones you can see from the outside. The back of our cabana was about 10 ft from the tracks. It's loud for a few seconds when the engine rolls by.... my son loved it actually (and he easily managed a catnap mid-afternoon). You can't really see the train as it's well hidden by bushes. Otherwise, it's actually reasonably quiet. Sure you can hear the buzz of Tomorrowland, but it's really quite pleasant. I particularly enjoyed hearing (and watching) People Mover being evac'd at one point. ;-)
  • We had access to a reserved viewing location for:
    • FOF parade (Town Square / Flag Pole area).
    • The nighttime holiday parade (small reserved viewing area next to the Liberty Square Bridge with benches). This was great by the way and frankly one of the biggest benefits for us.
    • Wishes (in this case, Holiday Wishes). We were told the reserved fireworks viewing location was that area on the east side of the Hub in front of The Plaza Restaurant, the one that used to be the FP fireworks viewing area (that part with the fake grass). That area was NOT reserved and we weren't able to actually find any reserved spot, but this could have been user error on my part in that maybe I misunderstood the exact location. Either they were wrong or I was wrong, I'm not sure. Didn't matter though, didn't need a reserved spot. Walked up 2 minutes before fireworks and had a great seat in the old FP viewing area anyway. If you are renting a cabana and the fireworks viewing is important to you, make sure to ask detailed questions about this.
So my overall thoughts... I thought it was great! It was a fun new way to experience our favorite park. We’re relatively experienced Disney folks but not commandoes – our kids are young and the moments of downtime the cabana offered were well appreciated.

Was it "worth" the cost? This one is tougher. Disney certainly has these priced at the top end of my personal comfort zone for what is offered at the moment. A part of me thinks they have the price set a little too high based on the current offerings and amenities but I'm sure they're trying to test how far they can go. It would certainly be a better “deal” for a larger group.

I think the setup would be EXCELLENT for extended families who have older folks that don’t want to traipse all over the park. My mother would be happy as a clam sitting there all day with a book.

Would I book it again? Yes, given the right circumstances. Depending on overall trip length, touring plan, etc, I would definitely consider it. For context, this was a short trip for us (3 days, with only 1 MK day). Personally a cabana wouldn’t be that appealing for me on a longer trip where we’re going to be in the MK multiple days.

I suspect some folks will find the location of these to be the biggest negative, and I kind of agree. Tomorrowland is just a bit out of the way from where we usually find ourselves in the park. This wouldn’t be enough for us NOT to book one, but it’s a consideration.

Happy to answer any questions! Thanks for reading.
I have a friend who is taking 23 of her family member to WDW in a few weeks. This would be a great option for them to have a place to meet up. I know it is only set up for 8 people. Is there a lanyard or armband that you get to access entry to that area?? Is that something they could trade out with other family members??

I have a friend who is taking 23 of her family member to WDW in a few weeks. This would be a great option for them to have a place to meet up. I know it is only set up for 8 people. Is there a lanyard or armband that you get to access entry to that area?? Is that something they could trade out with other family members??

I imagine Disney won't want to supply snacks for 23. Plus, they would only get reserved viewing of parades and fireworks for 8.

Unfortunately the Imagineers will probably lose this fight. They spend money, these cabanas bring it in :(
Maybe the Imagineers can come in and make them look better? When they are permanent.
It's my understanding that happened with the Mickey Head Readers. Somewhere I read how they originally designed something that was the same at all touch points, and very modern looking and the Imagineering Team came out and said no way, no how, they needed to blend in a bit more, so they went and designed something that worked in each location. I can't see us ever being a candidate for one of these, they'd have to drop the price by a lot, more than half but I'm not solely against them for those that do want them though. I don't want them standing out like sore thumbs either.

Yes, there is a lanyard, but no, I'm going to guess Disney would frown upon that. Not really how the system is supposed to work from my perspective. Personally I'd advise against it.

Maybe the Imagineers can come in and make them look better? When they are permanent.
It's my understanding that happened with the Mickey Head Readers. Somewhere I read how they originally designed something that was the same at all touch points, and very modern looking and the Imagineering Team came out and said no way, no how, they needed to blend in a bit more, so they went and designed something that worked in each location. I can't see us ever being a candidate for one of these, they'd have to drop the price by a lot, more than half but I'm not solely against them for those that do want them though. I don't want them standing out like sore thumbs either.

I was thinking the same thing as well. If they do them in SW land maybe make it look like Mos Eisley? That'd be kinda neat.

I was thinking the same thing as well. If they do them in SW land maybe make it look like Mos Eisley? That'd be kinda neat.

If they really are doing 1.5 acres, I totally see it themed like a city/village, and an experience in and of itself ... and a higher price tag.

Yes, there is a lanyard, but no, I'm going to guess Disney would frown upon that. Not really how the system is supposed to work from my perspective. Personally I'd advise against it.

I totally agree, but unfortunately there will be people who abuse the system.

I totally agree, but unfortunately there will be people who abuse the system.

YUP. And given all the drinks, snacks and replenishing .... I would expect many to try the switch.

They'll have to shut that down.

I imagine if they become permanent there will be a different system, maybe with backup.

The best option would be MM scanners with fingerprint [can't share that] .......... would be sad but I see it happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter