Prix Fixe = BS to me.

I'm not a fan either. Aside from allergies and preferences being thrown out the window, feels like I'm at a wedding banquet. Mass produced, expensive, not great. Will not be eating as many TS meals this trip.
The problem isn't price fixed, I guess it is for some. The meals are treated like a catering order. My understanding is some meals aren't even prepared in the restaurant but are just heated. Makes it harder to ask for an entree sized serving of an appetizer. Asking for change to a menu item. Some of the posters who have issues with price fixed could better cope if the items could be made to order and delete items that are issue, nuts for example.

I sympathize with those with allergies. As a diabetic, I see the same issue... I have to commit to a prix fix price and hope that my needs will be accommodated. For me that is switching out the boatload of carbs and sugars. the newer menus don't look that promising.

It may just be my imagination... or my increasing grumpiness on the subject, which I'll admit... but I never used to find this such an issue!
Disney uses loopholes to avoid having to furnish calorie information on the menu. Disney won't even supply carb counts of menu items if you request it in advance from disability services. Absolutely no reason why diabetics should have to estimate carbs.

Disney could solve "the problem" by requiring a minimum food order, charging a per head cover charge or going with a price fixed meal. I suspect the price fixed meal generates few complaints.

We don’t have food allergies but we have a 14 year old extremely picky eater. He eats limited things and tiny portions. So it’s completely not worth it for us to spend an adult price for him even if they made an adult size portion. That eliminates buffets and price fixe for us. I would love to try space 220 but will keep following the reviews to see if the experience is worth paying for.

I find it really funny that so many people are opposed to the prix-fixe menus. But then can't wait for the DDP to come back. What the difference between the 2 except you have pre-paid for the DDP.
For us, the prix-fixe menus have too much food and the we found the same the few times we had "free DDP".

I find it really funny that so many people are opposed to the prix-fixe menus. But then can't wait for the DDP to come back. What the difference between the 2 except you have pre-paid for the DDP.
For us, the prix-fixe menus have too much food and the we found the same the few times we had "free DDP".
Typically on the DDP, you can choose from a wider selection of foods than a prix-fixe meal.
Perhaps it's not the same people (even if there's a significant amount of each) disliking the prix-fixe and wanting the DDP?
Perhaps it feels different to have to pay OOP for something limited vs. receiving it "free"?

There are some (like the OP) saying that the amount of food doesn't work for them but (a) I hadn't seen them post that they liked the DDP and (b) even if so, it may feel different given whether it's "free" or how much the DDP costs. It absolutely makes sense to me that for some people, they might not like the 79 dollar prix-fixe meal of S220 but might appreciate the DDP (even having to pay for it).

We don't like pre fixe meals because of the lack of choice and often poor quality. We have never purchased the DDP.

I find the argument that the prix fixe menus doesn't have a lot of options to be bit unwarranted and at very least inconsistent. Has anyone actually looked at the menus for the restaurants lately? A whole lot more of them offer the same amount of options as the prix fixe places. 6-8 entrée options is all a lot of them offer, but you don't hear people complaining that the menus are too small at those places. Topolino's, 8 entrees. Skippers, 7 entrees. Beaches & Cream, 6 entrees. Rose & Crown, 7 entrees. That is just a couple of restaurants off the top of my head that aren't prix fixe but have pretty much the same amount of options as the ones that are. Everyone who says there aren't enough options at the prix fixe shouldn't be blaming the individual restaurants, but Disney dining as a whole or the people who complain when menus get too adventurous or the people who only spend a fraction of the money per seat that Disney expects you to.

I find the argument that the prix fixe menus doesn't have a lot of options to be bit unwarranted and at very least inconsistent. Has anyone actually looked at the menus for the restaurants lately? A whole lot more of them offer the same amount of options as the prix fixe places. 6-8 entrée options is all a lot of them offer, but you don't hear people complaining that the menus are too small at those places. Topolino's, 8 entrees. Skippers, 7 entrees. Beaches & Cream, 6 entrees. Rose & Crown, 7 entrees. That is just a couple of restaurants off the top of my head that aren't prix fixe but have pretty much the same amount of options as the ones that are. Everyone who says there aren't enough options at the prix fixe shouldn't be blaming the individual restaurants, but Disney dining as a whole or the people who complain when menus get too adventurous or the people who only spend a fraction of the money per seat that Disney expects you to.

But there are fewer options...in prix fixe, if there are 6 apps, 6 entrees, and 6 desserts, you HAVE to pick 1 of 6, 1 of 6, and 1 of 6, and with allergies/dietary needs, it may be something more like 1 of 3, 1 of 1, and 1 of 1...so you feel forced into particular foods, when you may say "well, I'll have 2 apps and skip the only entree and dessert I can have"...so you have more options if it's not forced course ordering (aka, you have 5 possible options and can eat the way you want, vs being forced into 2 of the 3 options with only 1 choice when you pick from the 3 apps, and while you may be able to eat those 2 forced options, you may not like them vs your 3 app options) - this is an example, but it will always be the case that being limited to 1 of X 3 times is fewer options than being able to order any X from the same number of options any way you want...

I think you're right about the limited menus. Two that I looked at (BOG and chefs de France) offer five entree options versus 7-8 at most of the other non-pre-fixe restaurants. Not too far off. I suppose I miss the flexibility then of being able to order what I want. I might still spend the same amount of $$$ but appreciate ordering how I want to order. I still do think the pre fix restaurants have inferior quality because people mostly order the items that they think equal the best value, while other items sit.

I think you're right about the limited menus. Two that I looked at (BOG and chefs de France) offer five entree options versus 7-8 at most of the other non-pre-fixe restaurants. Not too far off. I suppose I miss the flexibility then of being able to order what I want. I might still spend the same amount of $$$ but appreciate ordering how I want to order. I still do think the pre fix restaurants have inferior quality because people mostly order the items that they think equal the best value, while other items sit.
One big difference for Chefs de France: you can order a la carte or choose the prix fixe option. You are not forced to go prix fixe, so just choosing an app and entree and skipping dessert is an option. Prix fixe can be a money saver at Chefs if you happen to order the filet of beef and drink the wine, but a money loser if you prefer the ratatouille and only drink soda!

You do realize these are in all probability entirely different populations? I would expect that people who LIKE DDP would also LIKE the prix-fixe menu.... maximizing your plan?

I certainly do not like the prix-fix as the only option at a dining venue since it limits my flexibility in ordering... DDP is just another way to limit my options!

You do realize these are in all probability entirely different populations? I would expect that people who LIKE DDP would also LIKE the prix-fixe menu.... maximizing your plan?

I certainly do not like the prix-fix as the only option at a dining venue since it limits my flexibility in ordering... DDP is just another way to limit my options!
Couldn't agree more! Plus it's a very expensive way to have your options limited. I've never understood why people like DDP, but that's another thread. 😂

That has nothing to do with price fixed.

A price fixed menu doesn't have to limit the number of options or reduce quality
Agree to disagree. I would enjoy visiting BOG (I've been there before but would like to go back) but no way would I pay current price for that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you even get to pick your own dessert. (?) On our last trip we had TS twice a day. This trip we'll have some TS but mostly we're eating our way through quick service meals and snacks, which I'm really looking forward to actually. A lot of new things we haven't tried that look delicious + old favorites. I would much rather eat a Sleepy Hollow Nutella waffle than the prepared dessert plate at BOG, but that's me. I guess I just like a lot of variety. Will make up my own Food and Wine festival. 😉😂

Agree to disagree. I would enjoy visiting BOG (I've been there before but would like to go back) but no way would I pay current price for that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you even get to pick your own dessert. (?) On our last trip we had TS twice a day. This trip we'll have some TS but mostly we're eating our way through quick service meals and snacks, which I'm really looking forward to actually. A lot of new things we haven't tried that look delicious + old favorites. I would much rather eat a Sleepy Hollow Nutella waffle than the prepared dessert plate at BOG, but that's me. I guess I just like a lot of variety. Will make up my own Food and Wine festival. 😉😂
Some of the best meals I have had anywhere have been prix-fixe. I include several trips to V&A, one of the best anywhere as well as others in Chicago and San Francisco.

Some of the best meals I have had anywhere have been prix-fixe. I include several trips to V&A, one of the best anywhere as well as others in Chicago and San Francisco.

Very true! Hopefully folks aren't ruling out prix fixe in the real world as well. Most Michelin experiences are prix fixe after all!

You missed my, maybe poorly worded, point. You don't like the price of.BoG. You don't like the included dessert. Disney could lower the price, improve food quality and offer more choices. No reason to. Enough guests are satisfied.

Agree. I think much of the unhappiness is coming from folks who have never experienced a prix-fixe menu. We have loved our experiences at past F&W signature dinners.
The portions are smaller, the quality first rate. And it's fun to try new things, or familiar items in new ways.
Certainly it's fine some don't see the appeal. There will always be restaurants at WDW with chicken nugs, mac and cheese and the like.
Lots of options with Disney.

You missed my, maybe poorly worded, point. You don't like the price of.BoG. You don't like the included dessert. Disney could lower the price, improve food quality and offer more choices. No reason to. Enough guests are satisfied.
Absolutely right, different strokes for different folks, and there's no motivation for Disney to change. This will likely be our last trip for many years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter