Problems With Closing Colleges For Coronavirus

DS's university is closed until May 15th (Finals week). They are on Spring Break this week, classes are cancelled next week, and they start online classes on March 30th. He's got his appointment set for tomorrow to go pack up the rest of his stuff from his dorm room. He took most of his clothes home when he came home from break, because he had been hearing rumors they were going to be closed. They are not allowing roommates/suitemates in at the same time, and staggering rooms/suites so that there is an empty room between rooms where people are moving out. And only one group on the elevator at a time. So they are trying.

My DD has been home since Sunday. She didn't move out of her sorority house like we agreed. When she got home, I asked where her stuff was, and she said it was still at school. She pulled a fast one because wanted to leave it there in case she wanted to go back. Well... that will end up costing us a $1000 refund and the $500 roll over of her dining plan into next year. We were NOT happy. Then she and her boyfriend discussed things. He is a senior at her school and lives 10 minutes from us at home. His dad wants him to stick around home for another week or two to see how bad things get. So now she's decided to move out of her sorority house, and if he ends up going back to school, she wants to go with him and quarantine with him at his apartment. She's already talked to his roommates about paying a share of the rent. So now we have to drive 3.5 hours up to school (VT) and 3.5 hours back to move her out, but we'll get the $1500 back. If things get really bad, I suspect none of these kids who want to go back will end up going back. I'm glad she's at home for now, and we'll have to have a serious discussion if she tries to go back. We do pay for everything for her college, so we have some say in what she does and doesn't do. She can't make any money now because the campus gym she worked at is now closed.

My DS graduated last year from UVA. He is working up in Northern Virginia. He is truly an adult now, completely self sufficient and financially independent. He came home last night at midnight. He is working remotely; most everything is closed up there (bars, restaurants, gyms); the virus is spreading faster there; he is having a hard time finding food at the grocery store, and his roommates all went home to their families. The whole situation is kind of scary. He just decided he wanted to be home with us. I'm not sure how long he will stay.

Speaking of UVA, they ended up completely shutting down their dorms, Students must have a very serious reason to stay (international and can't go home, no home to go to, home is not safe due to health of parents). The school is being very very picky on who can stay. That said, some of the off campus apartment kids are still there, and they had St. Patrick's Day parties yesterday at 2 fraternity houses and on a recreational field. A resident of the town drove by, took a picture and posted about it on FB. News crews showed up; the police showed up to shut everything down, and the townspeople are LIVID. They are taking to social media, and news outlets to let everyone know that these irresponsible college kids are putting everyone's health at risk with their selfish behavior. The public outcry has been pretty big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter