PSA: Colonoscopies!

I researched this and it seems that these tests (I'm assuming like Cologuard) miss a good number of precancerous polyps. One gastroenterology website said:

Because colon cancer begins as growths called polyps, finding and removing polyps is the best way to prevent colon cancer. There are three types of CRC screening:

1. Colonoscopy – 95% of large polyps detected
  2. Stool DNA (Cologuard Test) – 42% of large polyps detected
  3. Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) – 24% of large polyps detected

I wasn't comfortable with the possibility of missed precancers, but I am prone to anxiety and want to always be able to say I took the most precautions.
I agree....

The last colonoscopy this past fall I used LiquidIV instead of Gatorade and I preferred the LiquidIV ...

As I sit here trying to ingest my second 32 ounces of colonoscopy prep (yum yum) I thought I'd remind everyone to go get your screening colonoscopy. The recommended age has been lowered to 45, and it should be covered 100% under most insurance. Apparently they're finding incidences of colon cancer in younger folks to be on the rise. The prep isn't fun, but it's only once a decade, if all goes well.

At least I had to be up early anyway to book dining reservations. :D
Having mine next week. Pro Tip: you can request a smaller liquid prep pack. Most doctor offices continue to recommend the 32 ounces but you can instead get something like 8 or 12 ounces. Just need to ask for it.

Many countries do sedation-free colonoscopies, where the patient is wide awake. We are the ones - Canada & the US - that are not the norm.

It might be worth it inquire about options.

(I am so sorry you woke up during your operation, awful)
I'm fine with what I do. I also can't take any kind of codine type medicines, same operation I got to take extra strength Tylenol for pain. I look at it like at least I'm doing something by doing the Cologuard. I'm way over the 50 mark so the number of tests I get per year increases every year and my Doctor is fine with not having a colonoscopy done.

For those who don't want an invasive screening test there are alternatives.

The US, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany are the only countries that recommend colonoscopy as the primary option for colorectal cancer screening.

Elsewhere fecal occult blood testing using FIT or gFOBT tests are the primary screening method.

Studies have not shown a clear benefit to the more invasive colonoscopy over fecal occult blood testing. There is a low risk of complications associated with colonoscopy up to four weeks after the procedure that does not exist for fecal occult blood testing.

If you do not want to get a colonoscopy talk to your doctor about a yearly fecal occult blood test. It is done in the privacy of your own home and requires no prep. Based on the results you may then be asked to get a colonoscopy.

I researched this and it seems that these tests (I'm assuming like Cologuard) miss a good number of precancerous polyps. One gastroenterology website said:

Because colon cancer begins as growths called polyps, finding and removing polyps is the best way to prevent colon cancer. There are three types of CRC screening:

1. Colonoscopy – 95% of large polyps detected
  2. Stool DNA (Cologuard Test) – 42% of large polyps detected
  3. Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) – 24% of large polyps detected

I wasn't comfortable with the possibility of missed precancers, but I am prone to anxiety and want to always be able to say I took the most precautions.

I do the Cologuard every three years. I have been unable to the colonoscopy because I can't keep the prep down and since I'm low risk they don't want to have me take the pills. Cologuard is really easy to do so if anyone is like me this is a better alternative than not doing anything at all.
I definitely agree that doing Cologuard is better than doing nothing!

But in my personal experience, it didn't save me the prep, and actually caused me more worry:

My doctor offered it (as I had hit 50, just before the recommendations changed, I think) and I thought it seemed the easier option (as I did have some concerns about colonoscopy). But I had a false positive and had to have one anyway. Which meant I spent the time in between the two tests worrying that there really was something wrong, instead if "just" worrying about the prep or that that something would go wrong in the procedure itself.

But thankfully, all was well and I am good for about 9 more years. Next time, I plan to have the colonoscopy in the first place with much less fear.

This thread should also be a reminder to get your teens vaccinated against HPV when it's offered by their pediatrician. This is literally a cancer vaccine. The reason we are seeing more cancers of the lower digestive system is due to the explosion of HPV infections in young adults over the last 20 years or so.

I get one every three years because of my family history; they always find and remove one or two polyps.

My mother died of colon cancer. She didn't see a doctor about it until she already had severe symptoms. We had her for six years after the diagnosis, in which she had three recurrences and bowl resection surgery. The last surgery, they gave her a bag, which was her worst nightmare. She learned to live with it, and so did I because could never bring herself to empty it or clean out the hole before putting a new bag on-I did this for her, and more. Trust me, get the routine colonoscopy and bug your loved ones to do the same. Being a caregiver is a labor of love, but also a labor of grief. It's a lousy way to die.

Call me crazy, but I didn't mind the prep :rolleyes1 Yes, I was up all night on the toilet, but I felt it gave my stomach a good, fresh start.

Of course, I pigged out on Chick-fil-A on the way home :rotfl2:So there went that "I'm only eating organic and fresh foods after this procedure" mantra.

But I was really ready for a hellish night. It wasn't bad at all.

I'm fine with what I do. I also can't take any kind of codine type medicines, same operation I got to take extra strength Tylenol for pain. I look at it like at least I'm doing something by doing the Cologuard. I'm way over the 50 mark so the number of tests I get per year increases every year and my Doctor is fine with not having a colonoscopy done.
Wonderful - truly, I just wanted you to know there is another option - that many do not know are happening regularly outside our countries.

All the best to you.

Last edited:
My wife however has to have a colonoscopy every year and a endoscopy every other year due to her family history.
This post reminds me of another important point.

Please share important medical findings with your children, I mean the ones that can affect their own health. My father had polyps but never thought of the importance of sharing that with his children, mainly a generational issue. And honestly the talking about family history component jof pre-cancerous polyps just wasn't at the forefront, back decades. Some of us knew because we are both yappy and curious conversationalists with our parents.

My brother, who lived in another country, never knew. Because talks on phones & holidays well.....

It devastated him to find it out after diagnosis. And I am sure was not easy for my father either.

So remember to do that as well, for your loved ones' sake.

This post reminds me of another important point.

Please share important medical findings with your children, I mean the ones that can affect their own health.
I agree, and do it now. My dad passed from Alzheimer's last year and my mom's memory isn't so great either, and when I asked her if she'd had polyps, she couldn't recall at all. We should normalize talking about our medical care with our family, in general. My wife is probably tired of hearing about my prep experiences. LOL. And yesterday when I said, "Oh wow, wanna see a pic of the inside of my colon?" that was probably a bridge too far.

The US is a very wealthy country and as a result our medical practices take advantage of all that wealth.

One side effect is that when there are two or more screening tests available, the US is going to choose the gold standard which is most often the most expensive, most invasive, with the most complications.

However when studies look at spending versus outcome, the US does horrible. We spend so much more than other countries on medical care and do not get a positive outcome that matches that increased spending.

It is great that we can generally choose which test we want even with our broken medical/insurance system.
IIRC Cologuard is more for low risk patients, ones who don't have family history or other health issues related to bowels, etc so it can be used but isn't as sensitive or appropriate for everyone.

The process of colonoscopies is a big reason why people try to avoid them but it doesn't mean they aren't the overall better option when considering the downsides to something else.

However I think you have a point about them as a option. Probably what I would suggest is maybe if this was something recommended for lower age groups without higher risk it could at least be a less invasive first step. We are seeing colon cancer appear at earlier ages 30s being seen. But having it covered by insurance as a more preventative measure might help. Then again I feel the same for things like mammograms because we make women jump through too many hoops to get that covered or recommend even when our medical situation is showing a need for earlier interventions.

A screening colonoscopy is SO IMPORTANT!
I was only 13 years old back in 1974 when my 55 yr old grandmother died of colon cancer. Back then it was a death sentence: you will die, not if but when. The advancement of treatment is outstanding so cure rates are very good!
I

As I sit here trying to ingest my second 32 ounces of colonoscopy prep (yum yum) I thought I'd remind everyone to go get your screening colonoscopy. The recommended age has been lowered to 45, and it should be covered 100% under most insurance. Apparently they're finding incidences of colon cancer in younger folks to be on the rise. The prep isn't fun, but it's only once a decade, if all goes well.

At least I had to be up early anyway to book dining reservations. :D
Ask for the Su Tablets instead. Much easier and covered by most insurance. Though I’ll be honest, it might be worth the out of pocket for me 😂 I would not have made it through the Gallon of Doom.

I did Colarguard because I was low risk then last year I was Dx’d with cancer including a tumor that extended down to part of my colon so I had to do the actual procedure. They didn’t find any cancer there but they had to check, the tablets literally was the only way I was able to do the prep. I have no memory of the actual procedure so honestly it was pretty painless.

Last edited:
Please get your testing. Research the other options, they can miss polyps growing.

Please think of your children & your spouse. My brother is gone because he delayed. Pointe Finale. No other reason. Missing him makes me sad of course. His family not having him for graduations, celebrations, weddings, future grandchildren - and every single day of course - at times makes me bat **** crazy that he did not get to it. And it is ugly to watch that type of unfortunate suffering & death - it is very hard to get snippets out of your head. And replace with prior memories in your mind.
Do not be selfish with your family, the procedure is no big deal. Everyone has probably experienced something way more uncomfortable in life.
This.

My dad died of it...rarely went to the dr, and, even after symptoms started, he waited 2 months go to a dr. Dx in Feb, died in November. It was HORRID. He was only 51. And had kids yet to raise, grandkids to meet. I miss him daily, and so wish he had just done the routine screenings.

A dear friend is battling it now. Same thing. Symptoms started in December of 19, he didn't follow up with a dr until OCTOBER of 20. Just kept putting it off.

A colonoscopy is SO easy and, literally, can save your life. I will be getting my 3rd this year. I am 44.

I didn't have my first one until age 55 because my Primary Care Doctor at the time felt the Cologuard tests were sufficient. 10+ years ago, having to drink a gallon of prep solution was not fun, and it worked quickly and rather abruptly. Last year was a piece of cake, drank a 16 ounce bottle of prep the day before, and the second bottle a few hours before the procedure. Much gentler.
Never heard of having to drink Gatoraide, as I recall they only wanted you to drink clear fluid......water.....because the dye in other drinks can throw the test off.

It's so weird...DH had his a couple months ago and also got that small, comfortable prep like you did. Mine is scheduled for next month at the same health center, but different doctor. I have that big, giant jug of nastiness in the closet waiting for me.
Maybe I should call and ask some questions.

It's so weird...DH had his a couple months ago and also got that small, comfortable prep like you did. Mine is scheduled for next month at the same health center, but different doctor. I have that big, giant jug of nastiness in the closet waiting for me.
Maybe I should call and ask some questions.
I did the small bottles before surgery (they had to cut the cancerous ovarian tumor away from the non cancerous bowel). I only got through 1/4 of the second bottle before it tried to return. I was told any light colored Gatorade was acceptable. Just no red or purple. I did not tell them I had to stop drinking. It was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter