Purchase Now or Wait

So, I asked my guide about a September UY so I can take advantage of Magical Beginnings and have fresh points come 2023. He said they couldn't do that because it's inside the banking window. Is he just playing hardball or is that really the case? If I push it, do you think it will get approved?

They always have a set UY they are trying to get new buyers to accept.

We are mid August and the latest one can take advantage of MB for a Sept UY is Aug 26th..given the 4 day requirement prior to end of UY to participate.

Any change needs approval and it’s possible they have the directive to not allow it for new buyers right now.

But, you can certainly tell them you want Sept UY, you realize it might be tough and require approval but if they can get it for you, you’ll buy. If not, you are not in a rush.

With incentives ending Sept 11th, they may decide to let you walk away.

All you can do is try but typically they want the sale and as long as you are meeting all the other requirements, they tend to come back and say they got it for you.

Honestly sounds like BS. They bank points for people within the banking deadline all the time on new contracts. If you stick to your guns they'll likely approve it. Also when are you trying to travel typically?
We typically travel in September/Oct and January to WDW.

Update for anyone following this saga: talked to a guide today. They approved my December use year and gave me all the discounts mentioned. Came out to $37,730 and the Magical Beginnings rebate would be $4,400, so net $33,330 plus closing costs. We are following up Wednesday to discuss doing the 10% down payment and probably finalizing 9/1 when we are onsite.

Update for anyone following this saga: talked to a guide today. They approved my December use year and gave me all the discounts mentioned. Came out to $37,730 and the Magical Beginnings rebate would be $4,400, so net $33,330 plus closing costs. We are following up Wednesday to discuss doing the 10% down payment and probably finalizing 9/1 when we are onsite.
Congrats and welcome home :)

If you push that out to closer around the Sept 11th end of the current promotions you can have greater flexibility to switch to the new promotions, if they're better, on Sept 12th.

Alright well we shall see what happens. I asked him was there a special approval we could get to make it happen and he said nope to close to Sept. He also asked me why I would want September and that February was a perfect use year. I explained to him that the travel and banking dates work better for my family with a September UY. We shall see what he comes back with.
Several others have reported that the UY they're trying to push right now is March so they may not have gotten the memo :confused3 Either way, if your guide won't give you September, switch to a different guide who will! You shouldn't be stuck with a UY that won't work for you.

Several others have reported that the UY they're trying to push right now is March so they may not have gotten the memo :confused3 Either way, if your guide won't give you September, switch to a different guide who will! You shouldn't be stuck with a UY that won't work for you.
So just got off the phone with my guide and he stuck to his guns and said they can't switch it to a Use Year of September of this year. He did say they could do a September of "next year" where they would take the 2023 points for Magical Beginnings and then my points wouldn't start until 2024.

Definitley sounds a little fishy.

So just got off the phone with my guide and he stuck to his guns and said they can't switch it to a Use Year of September of this year. He did say they could do a September of "next year" where they would take the 2023 points for Magical Beginnings and then my points wouldn't start until 2024.

Like am I asking for the impossible?

Agree - per @Sandisw and others, you have until 4 days before month-end. Honestly, they're paid commission so why not do what it takes to make the sale before you walk away to another guide?!?

Basically, he’s saying they can’t sell you September 2022 UY points - probably too close to the end of this UY. They can sell you a September UY that begins with 2023 points, a little over 2 weeks from now. And you can choose to sell back the 2023 points or not. But not fishy - just too close to the end of the 2022 UY.

Like am I asking for the impossible?
IDK how DVC can determine Magical Beginnings needs to be done 4 days prior to the start of a UY and then say they cannot sell you points within that UY. I would ask your guide if you can speak with his/her supervisor to get that straightened out.

I am sure if someone with a September UY wanted to add on more points they would be available. If September is what you really want I would politely go up the chain or find a new guide.

IDK how DVC can determine Magical Beginnings needs to be done 4 days prior to the start of a UY and then say they cannot sell you points within that UY. I would ask your guide if you can speak with his/her supervisor to get that straightened out.

I am sure if someone with a September UY wanted to add on more points they would be available. If September is what you really want I would politely go up the chain or find a new guide.
I might have to, but I hate to be like that, but maybe I do need to find a different guide.

"well, I guess I'll just go buy resale then and get a contract that has 2022 points then" 😂

I might have to, but I hate to be like that, but maybe I do need to find a different guide.
I completely understand! I don't like jumping to that either. I think we all feel hesitant it may not be 100% accurate information because of all the reports of potential members being told X UY is not available, but after pushing back it's magically available.

I now DVC changed the rules back in 2019 and can now change UYs on points before they are sold. Why can't it change an Oct or Dec unit to Sept for you? They still have 2022 points.

https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/pol...ey-greater-flexibility-in-assigning-use-years

One thing they could be doing is saving the deals for Sept UY for those adding on and not new buyers.

While not common, there have been times when they said the couldn’t do a particular UY until the new one starts.

It is possible that they have decided right now not to sell Sept UY unless it’s to match one already owned.

I don’t believe it’s fishy at all..just a potential hold the line.

Not saying I wouldn’t try to talk to a supervisor but since they said they will do a Sept UY with 2023 points, it is the MB program.

Rememger, they don’t have to offer people MB and can adjust terms if they want. It’s possible they simply don’t want to buy back any more 2022 points for that UY for a new buyer this close to the end of Aug.

One thing they could be doing is saving the deals for Sept UY for their adding on and not new buyers.

While not common, there have been times when they said the couldn’t do a particular UY until the new one starts.

It is possible that they have decided right now not to sell Sept UY unless it’s to match one already owned.

Not saying I wouldn’t try to talk to a supervisor but since they said they will do a Sept UY with 2023 points, it is the MB program.

And, they don’t have to offer people MB and can adjust terms if they want. It’s possible they simply don’t want to buy back any more 2022 points for thst UY.
Update... My guide just emailed me and told me he was going to ask for an exception on the 2022 September Use Year like I want but couldn't promise anything.

Maybe he figured that I might just not buy or go find another guide.

Update... My guide just emailed me and told me he was going to ask for an exception on the 2022 September Use Year like I want but couldn't promise anything.

Maybe he figured that I might just not buy or go find another guide.

Awesome! And be aware that getting a new guide doesn’t always work…they need approval from supervisors too…but I am glad that he is trying!!!

One thing they could be doing is saving the deals for Sept UY for those adding on and not new buyers.

Rememger, they don’t have to offer people MB and can adjust terms if they want. It’s possible they simply don’t want to buy back any more 2022 points for that UY for a new buyer this close to the end of Aug.
Understandable, but I would definitely exhaust all my options prior to walking before 8/28 because I truly deep down believe DVC has the 2022 Sept UY points and will sell them 🤞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter