Purchased Too Many Points

ivegotajarofdirt

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever felt they have purchased too many points. We own (removed by mod) and (removed by mod) Should we just rent our excess points or sell a contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have too many now. We bought just 150 when it was the minimum, but we don't do WDW much anymore. We use them every other year for Hilton Head or Aulani in Winter. We book bigger units than we need, we invite friends. We have rented them out. With only the one contract, selling it would mean getting rid of DVC and we still like having the points for their potential personal use. Plus, don't need the cash now so there isn't a big driver for selling.

Has anyone ever felt they have purchased too many points. We own x pts at x and x pts at x. Should we just rent our excess points or sell a contract?
You are tying up the resale funds (after expenses) of selling, and have a LOT of years to pay those management fees if not using all of them. Once you're sure how many you need (we divided a typical trip by 2 or 3 since only going every 2-3 years, then padded a bit for view and point flux), check out the price to replace with a smaller contract - commissions seem to run 7-10%, and you'd have closing costs both on the sale and replacement contract. If saves enough money, go for the change. Timeshares other than DVC are usually depreciating assets (DVC is not bullet proof either, none are) - also, the "income" from renting points may or may not be there forever.

Also, to factor in - are one of the contracts giving you Blue Card benefits? It currently takes 150 points to get that, so you'd want to be sure what you're giving up.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Last edited:
Me and the kids would go every year. My husband would like to go every other. So far we have convinced him to go yearly but I think I need to maybe rent some points and go in a year an half or so. I'm not quite ready to sell anything and he hasn't asked to sell or even rent. Or maybe do resort only trips? Is it too hard to be that close and just stay at the resort lol

You have a LOT of years to pay those management fees if not using them. Once you're sure how many you need (we divided a typical trip by 2 or 3 since only going every 2-3 years, then padded a bit for view and point flux), check out the price to replace with a smaller contract - commissions seem to run 7-10%, and you'd have closing costs both on the sale and replacement contract. If saves enough money, go for the change. Timeshares other than DVC are usually depreciating assets (DVC is not bullet proof either, none are).

Also, to factor in - are one of the contracts giving you Blue Card benefits? It currently takes 150 points to get that, so you'd want to be sure what you're giving up.

Just my 2 cents worth :)
We currently are using them but I'm looking down the years and wondering if yearly is too much. We are resale for both contracts so no perks.

Me and the kids would go every year. My husband would like to go every other. So far we have convinced him to go yearly but I think I need to maybe rent some points and go in a year an half or so. I'm not quite ready to sell anything and he hasn't asked to sell or even rent. Or maybe do resort only trips? Is it too hard to be that close and just stay at the resort lol

Its easy enough to rent them out through rentalstore or Davids. We just rented a TON of pts and it was painless (except waiting for the remaining balance of the funds 11 months from now!!). We're always looking at resale contracts to purchase (that match our UY's), but we really need to pay off our direct purchase first.

We currently are using them but I'm looking down the years and wondering if yearly is too much. We are resale for both contracts so no perks.
If no perks, at least the math is relatively easy ;) When I wanted to buy more points I put the Annual Fees in an Excel spreadsheet with a 5% per year increase to see what they look like in 5-10-15-20 years. Too high of numbers were not comfortable for me at my age, nor as something to "leave" to family, so fewer points were a logical balance in the decision for me. DVC, while a wonderful "emotional" purchase, like Any asset, should also be a financial re-calculation every once in a while. You are smart to consider all your options.

Last edited:
No need to solve a problem you don't have yet.

Over time, it will be easier to take DVC-based vacations that do not revolve entirely around the theme parks. There are lots of other things to do at WDW!

My son and I took a golf lesson one year that was great fun, and he'd be happier to come to WDW with us if we played a round every now and then. I still haven't done the bass fishing excursions, and that's been on my list for a while now. Bike riding around Fort Wilderness is lovely. We did a week-long trip one summer that had no theme parks at all, just the water parks, DisneyQuest (which dates how long ago this was) and various Resort/DTD restaurants for meals. My last trip I caught a concert at House of Blues (not my video, but that was the show) and had a couple days that were just enjoying the pools and grounds around SSR.

If you want to, you can use DVC points directly for resort stays elsewhere through Interval. Most of those are not going to be very good deals, but some will be. For example, we stayed in an oceanfront 1BR at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club last summer. That would have cost 130 DVC points, which is a decent value. At $18/pt, that's pretty close to what an owner would pay at that resort just in annual fees for that room.

No need to solve a problem you don't have yet.
Succinct comment from Brian! Let things settle for a year or two, if you still want to rent or sell you can do that any time (this assumes there are no immediate dire financial issues you're facing.)

The too many points are something I am thinking about. We purchased a 180-point contract last March which came with 90 banked points. We used 268 points for a week stay in August. We had a great time, and the consensus was to immediately plan a longer August 2024 trip. We have settled on 9 days, split stay with 5 in a 1 bedroom and 4 in a 2 bedroom to see how we like the split stay and the 2 bedrooms.

We can do that by using 182 points from 2024 and 180 points from 2025.

We will then have to decide if we want to vacation at Disney every year, do we want to go for 9 days, do we want to book 2 bedrooms for a portion of each stay.

If we want to go every other year, we do not need more points. If we only need the 1 bedroom for a week, we only need to add about 100 points. If we want to book 9 days and want to include a 2 bedroom, we need 180-200 additional points.

We will try to make an educated guess next August. Hopefully we decide correctly and do not worry that we have too many or too few points.

Has anyone ever felt they have purchased too many points. We own (removed by mod) and (removed by mod) Should we just rent our excess points or sell a contract?
Nope. We bought what we needed for the trips we take each year.

We are planning on adding more for the post retirement years but if the right deal comes along earlier, we *might* be feeling the same way for a bit.

Not gonna lie, I've definitely thought about it just from a dues stand point especially thinking about when we get to our end point of around 1,000 points. In my mind by the time I get there that'll probably be close to 9,000 dollars in dues annually. If it ever becomes unsustainable I'll probably drop some of my resale points. This is the issue I have with resale points is even though you saved a few grand going resale, you're still paying the same amount in dues and if you're not happy having your points being restricted from use at VDH, RIV and whatever new resort, then maybe direct is the way to go because over the life the contract over 2/3 of the price is in the form of dues.

We do charge friends at the moment which has definitely helped with dues simply because we're poor millennials. Just from this year alone we've nearly had our dues paid back on our points because we always bring friends with us and they're understanding about it because they know it's not like we got these points for free and they're still getting a hell of a deal by staying with us.

Last edited:
I feel like we have gone from, just enough to needing more, to plenty to needing more to maybe a few too many. Our changing habits, travel times, kids stuff, desire for more rooms, places like Aulani and travel outside of WDW seems to keep us fluctuating. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. As with anything and this economy, I hope we can maintain our dues but would rent first if we needed to cover dues.

I’m pretty sure that I need another 200-400 points to be happy. I’ve booked our vacations for 2024, and I feel like I’m short already. I might have to borrow from 2025.

Not gonna lie, I've definitely thought about it just from a dues stand point especially thinking about when we get to our end point of around 1,000 points. In my mind by the time I get there that'll probably be close to 9,000 dollars in dues annually. If it ever becomes unsustainable I'll probably drop some of my resale points. This is the issue I have with resale points is even though you saved a few grand going resale, you're still paying the same amount in dues and if you're not happy having your points being restricted from use at VDH, RIV and whatever new resort, then maybe direct is the way to go because over the life the contract over 2/3 of the price is in the form of dues.

We do charge friends at the moment which has definitely helped with dues simply because we're poor millennials. Just from this year alone we've nearly had our dues paid back on our points because we always bring friends with us and they're understanding about it because they know it's not like we got these points for free and they're still getting a hell of a deal by staying with us.
It definitely makes you start figuring out how to pay your dues in gift cards. 5% of $9k is $450.

It almost makes me want to switch out some contracts to Aulani subsidized…. and then I think about how long the break even would be after having to sell my standard Aulani less the brokers commission and a new round of closing costs….

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter