Purchasing prescription glasses in Orlando.

tgropp

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever purchased eye prescription glasses in the States? I have no coverage and prices in Canada are very expensive and have seen ads that are much cheaper in the Orlando area, even with the dollar exchange. Would appreciate any help for pros or cons if anyone has suggestions/experiences.

I’ve purchased frames online but not glasses. Have you tried Costco? They have some really great prices

Are you going to be in the US for a week? Unless you go to a Lens Crafters type store, you don't usually get prescription glasses filled in less than a week.

Are you going to be in the US for a week? Unless you go to a Lens Crafters type store, you don't usually get prescription glasses filled in less than a week.
Yes. One week in Orlando and three weeks in Fort Lauderdale

I've purchased online from clearly.ca and have been very happy. Mine are prescription reading glasses but relatively inexpensive and quick delivery. Not the same as have an in person store experience with fitting and personalized advice. But much, much cheaper. I checked out comparative glasses at my local lens crafters last year and would have paid 4x the price.

I have never bought glasses in the states, but there are quite a few cheaper options in Canada now. Costco is one, but I've also bought from clearly.ca, Zenni optical, and there's another place opening up called SpecSavers. It could be worth a try to look into these places. I have a pretty basic prescription so I've been able to purchase entire sets of glasses for under $40.

eyebuydirect has good prices if you use promo codes/Rakuten. I’ve ordered a few pairs from there - including Ray Ban progressives with transition for under $350.

Check out Zenni. They are online and very cheap. I use them all the time. You need your prescription and OD.

Another vote for Zenni! I have a terribly high prescription but can still get the $12 frames. You can still add all the bells and whistles to your lenses if you want which will raise the price, but you can also get some pretty decent backup glasses for cheap. For reference, I just ordered 2 pairs, 1 of which has clipons, and a strap - came to $91 including taxes. 2 pairs at my local eye shop is usually closer to $500!

I would get in touch with whoever it is you’re thinking of using as a provider down there and ask if you need an American provided prescription. I know that is the case with pharmaceuticals, and I kind of think that is the case with contact lenses so it makes sense to me that it might be the case for glasses as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter