Putting Pet to sleep :(

wildzootv

Mouseketeer
I am sorry I know there are bigger things on earth, cancer, lupus, diabetes, stroke... forgive me if this seems small to some and insensitive. right now I am struggling what to do & how to do it.

Our 18 year old cat has jaw cancer. We know that we will have to put him to sleep soon. Vet said just to make him comfortable and we will know when the right time is. I think that is soon.

It feels so unnatural to pick a day for death.

We homeschool and I am torn if I should just get a sitter and take our pet by myself or if we (11 & 7 year old) go together.

Husband is deployed in Afghanistan and so incredibly busy over there that I haven't had the chance to ask him what he thinks is the right course to take.

If we all go - do we hold our pet while they give him the shot? do we say good bye and let them take him away?

We want to bury him in our yard, so we will want to take him.

ugh...

So sorry but I feel this is the last thing we can do for our pets to show we love them, they don't have to suffer more. With our last cat, we took her in and I stayed with her and petted her until she was gone.They then wrapped her in a blanket and put her in a cardboard casket for us to bring her home in.She really went very peacefully and I knew we were doing the right thing, she couldn't eat any more and she just wasn't herself. You will know when it is time. Sending hugs your way.

I'm so sorry. :hug: I stayed with our dog Bashful to her last breath and IMO they pass knowing they were loved when they hear your comforting words/feeling you pet them to the end. Again I'm so sorry. I got my pup when she was 13 weeks old for my birthday, and lost her on my birthday 15 years later. :(

I am so sorry. Our pets ask for so little and in return love to us like no other..... I feel it is really a debt we owe them to see that they leave this world with peace, dignity and surrounded by the love they know. That being said, I have had to put down quite a few of my dogs over the years-and it is never easy. I have almost always gone by myself with them because I wanted it to be a peaceful and loving environment and my DD is not capable of managing that.(She is developmentally delayed and had some mental health challenges.) On a few occasions my husband has been able to go with me but not always. It is sad, but not frightening so if you think your girls could handle it-take them. If it would be too disturbing to them, have them say their farewell at home and take the cat yourself. I always have held my dog, looked into their eyes and thanked them for their love as they pass. Maybe have the girls write the cat a note and bury it with her??? Again, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Please talk to your vet about giving your cat a sedative before putting him to sleep. What they give is a pre-op medication that causes the pet to go peacefully to sleep, but is still very much alive. Then the vet can give the med for euthanization at any time afterward. If you decide to take your children with you, they can say goodbye after the sedative (and likely won't be rushed), but leave before the euthanization. That part will be up to you. But if you take the kids, I wouldn't do it without the sedative part because it's not always "peaceful" when the pet gets the barbiturate directly. They can squirm and yelp, etc. Not something you'll want the kids to see, in that case. (My last dog required three doses before he died :sad1: ; so glad we did the sedative first.)

Best wishes, it's a hard thing to go through. :grouphug:

thank you for your kind words. I finally heard from dh and he recommended we decorate a towel with love messages to take our cat to be put to sleep and finally buried. Although the kids knew this time was coming, it is devastating for them. This has been a heck of a year for us cancer wise: one uncle passed, their grandmother had a heck of a battle with it this year, now their great grandmother is passing of it - and now their beloved cat. I am sure they hate cancer like we all do.

Looks like tomorrow is the day.

I was a veterinary technician for over 10 years and as you can imagine I assisted in this many many times. First talk to your vet, ask what their normal procedure is, while it seems simple there are a lot of variables, do they have a separate entrance/exit so you don't have to use the busy lobby? I would first have the vet or staff Walk you through step by step from the time you arrive until the time you leave what they normal do, or what their normal options are. Then anything you are uncomfortable with you can ask about. While its no fun to think or talk about it now, it will be that much harder when it's actually happening. I would caution with using another sedative first, it can lower blood pressure making it harder to give the last medication, and some animals ( though a small percentage) just like people have a variety of adverse reactions to sedatives, also there is a huge collection of drugs that can be called sedatives, all with varying degrees of effect. My own preference ( both as a pet owner as well as the medical side of it) I like to have the animal taken away into the treatment area and having an IV catheter placed, then have the animal brought back into the room for the rest of the procedure , this way vein access is established, most kitty's will be dehydrated after you kitty's disease making vein access difficult, also if the solution gets outside the vein it can really sting, or if it seeps outside the vein it can take longer to take effect, an IV catheter prevents all those things, also we would take clay and make hearts out of them, then put a paw print from each animal in the middle. I still have each one for animals I've loved and lossed, if you vet doesn't do this, it's easy for you too if you'd like. Sorry if this is too clinical, just wanted to give you some info, feel free to pm if I can help at all. Losing a pet can be really hard, and while it's tough on you I alway felt lucky to be able to end their pain in the end. Hugs to you!!! Oh and for your children, I would talk to them and let them decide what they want to do, they are old enough to be there if they want, but if they don't want to go saying goodbye at home may be the best thing, just talk to them. Again hugs to you and your family

our pets are a part of our family and in your case, for so long. in our case it took quite some time after we put our cat down. hugs to you and your family and your cat. i remember my vet saying, "i hope you believe in kitty heaven because your cat will go straight there." either way, we do our best and give them all our love.

I would caution with using another sedative first, it can lower blood pressure making it harder to give the last medication, and some animals ( though a small percentage) just like people have a variety of adverse reactions to sedatives, also there is a huge collection of drugs that can be called sedatives, all with varying degrees of effect.
I've had pets put to sleep without the sedative but the vet who happened to be on duty the day I had to put my last dog to sleep did it this way and I will never do it the other way again. I do not know the name of the drug used but she said they use it before surgery, and I believe it was an intramuscular injection. As an RN and hospital nurse myself, I've monitored many drug effects and the way this was done was really great (if it can be so in this situation), it made it much more peaceful for me. Something for the OP (and readers) to inquire about.

Pea-n-Me said:
I've had pets put to sleep without the sedative but the vet who happened to be on duty the day I had to put my last dog to sleep did it this way and I will never do it the other way again. I do not know the name of the drug used but she said they use it before surgery, and I believe it was an intramuscular injection. As an RN and hospital nurse myself, I've monitored many drug effects and the way this was done was really great (if it can be so in this situation), it made it much more peaceful for me. Something for the OP (and readers) to inquire about.

I'm glad that it worked well for you in your situation, I was only wanting to point out it may not be the best choice for every pet or every family. As an RN I'm sure you can agree that not every treatment fits for every patient. In this case I believe the best people to decide how to approach this very emotional event would be the OP, her family and their vet.

Thank you so much. I will call and inquire. I appreciate you all sharing with me so we will be better prepared and the support given. The kids and I have been crying off and on. As hard as this is, i know it's the best thing for him not to be hurting any more. thank you, thank you.

wildzootv said:
Thank you so much. I will call and inquire. I appreciate you all sharing with me so we will be better prepared and the support given. The kids and I have been crying off and on. As hard as this is, i know it's the best thing for him not to be hurting any more. thank you, thank you.

You are so right, yes it hurts but you are doing this out of love for him, you are hurting emotionally so he doesn't have to hurt physically any more, that is real love. You have probably heard this poem before, but in case not here it is for you .

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

:hug: When our Boo Boo had to be put down last year, my dd and her friend were there with me. I couldn't go in, and neither could dd, so her friend went and stayed with him. I was very grateful for that. Our vet takes a pawprint and puts it on a sympathy card which they sent to us. (We even got Tink's - our hamster - pawprint on a card when we had her put down)

I am so sorry! It is truly a heartwrenching experience.

I put Fergie to sleep in June. She was my buddy for 16 years (and before that, 4 years with my brother). On Wednesday, I made an appointment with the vet for Saturday, and cried my eyes out every day before then. By the time she got there, it was obviously time to put her out of her misery.

I did not stay with her. I was by myself and I could not bring myself to do it (now I'm crying again!). I knew it was a no-win situation, because I still feel bad for leaving her. The vet promised he'd be kind and I said good-bye.

Hugs to you.

I can't believe I came across this thread....we just had to put our beloved 16 year old German Shepherd to sleep on 8/29/12. So, I completely understand the place your in. Also, my children are 11 and 7...so we talked to them about what needed to be done and why. My dog could barely stand anymore and the anti-inflammatory meds the vet had prescribed didn't seem to help her anymore.

Both my boys understood and both were upset that she had to leave us to go to a better place. Our vet is an angel and explained everything to me prior to the appointment and I relayed that information to the kids so they didn't have to wonder about how it would go.

This past Weds (my husband and kids came too) we took Ally to the vet. My husband and kids waited in the waiting room and I went in with her. I hugged and petted her the entire time while my angel/vet fed her biscuits with one hand and injected her with the other. And she slowly "went to sleep". She died in my arms, comfortable, and unafraid - the way it should be.

Afterwards, my husband and kids came to see her. Although they did cry, they were able to pet her and kiss her and see that she just looked like she was sleeping.

I know this isn't for everyone. YOU know your children best. Being honest with them and allowing them to share their fears and ask you questions will not only help them cope....it will help you.

My heart goes out to you! I've been in pieces since we made the decision to put Ally down. But I did it out of love and know she's not suffering anymore. It doesn't make my broken heart hurt less or stop me from crying - but it'll get easier I guess....

In a previous post someone mentioned a 2-injection method. This method was used on my cat. 1st, a sedative - then the overdose of barbiturate. But for my dog - the vet gave her the overdose and that was it.

:hug:

You are so right, yes it hurts but you are doing this out of love for him, you are hurting emotionally so he doesn't have to hurt physically any more, that is real love. You have probably heard this poem before, but in case not here it is for you .

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thank you so much. Tears.

:hug: When our Boo Boo had to be put down last year, my dd and her friend were there with me. I couldn't go in, and neither could dd, so her friend went and stayed with him. I was very grateful for that. Our vet takes a pawprint and puts it on a sympathy card which they sent to us. (We even got Tink's - our hamster - pawprint on a card when we had her put down)

What a kind and dear gesture

I am so sorry! It is truly a heartwrenching experience.

I put Fergie to sleep in June. She was my buddy for 16 years (and before that, 4 years with my brother). On Wednesday, I made an appointment with the vet for Saturday, and cried my eyes out every day before then. By the time she got there, it was obviously time to put her out of her misery.

I did not stay with her. I was by myself and I could not bring myself to do it (now I'm crying again!). I knew it was a no-win situation, because I still feel bad for leaving her. The vet promised he'd be kind and I said good-bye.

Hugs to you.

I can't believe I came across this thread....we just had to put our beloved 16 year old German Shepherd to sleep on 8/29/12. So, I completely understand the place your in. Also, my children are 11 and 7...so we talked to them about what needed to be done and why. My dog could barely stand anymore and the anti-inflammatory meds the vet had prescribed didn't seem to help her anymore.

Both my boys understood and both were upset that she had to leave us to go to a better place. Our vet is an angel and explained everything to me prior to the appointment and I relayed that information to the kids so they didn't have to wonder about how it would go.

This past Weds (my husband and kids came too) we took Ally to the vet. My husband and kids waited in the waiting room and I went in with her. I hugged and petted her the entire time while my angel/vet fed her biscuits with one hand and injected her with the other. And she slowly "went to sleep". She died in my arms, comfortable, and unafraid - the way it should be.

Afterwards, my husband and kids came to see her. Although they did cry, they were able to pet her and kiss her and see that she just looked like she was sleeping.

I know this isn't for everyone. YOU know your children best. Being honest with them and allowing them to share their fears and ask you questions will not only help them cope....it will help you.

My heart goes out to you! I've been in pieces since we made the decision to put Ally down. But I did it out of love and know she's not suffering anymore. It doesn't make my broken heart hurt less or stop me from crying - but it'll get easier I guess....

In a previous post someone mentioned a 2-injection method. This method was used on my cat. 1st, a sedative - then the overdose of barbiturate. But for my dog - the vet gave her the overdose and that was it.

My sincere condelenses. Thank you so much for sharing with me, especially as it was just recent. Hugs to you and your family.

wildzootv, someone sent this to me in an email today and I immediately thought of you:

A dog's purpose, from a 6 year old philosopher.

... Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the o ld dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so t hat they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...
Getting back up is LIVING...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter