Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Thank you, Kirby so much! Do you think we could use butter instead of shortening?

Good Night to All
I honestly don't know. It's been over 50 years since I helped make those cookies. I have a lot of good memories though. I'll contact my friends and see what they say.

DH called this morning and said that his truck broke down after he and DS got to the property where they were going to deer hunt. Asked me what my plans were today and if he couldn't get someone closer to come get them would I do it. It would be a three and a half hour minimum drive one way for me for me. Fortunately DS's fiance went and got them. DH has a friend that's going to take him Monday to pick up the truck.

I canceled an outing with a friend today, was very sad to do so. With a virus in our home I didn't want to risk exposing her to it. So far, no one else has gotten sick so if we all remain healthy through tomorrow then I figure we are safe. We were going to go to Third Monday in McKinney. It's a big flea market and it's closing for good after this weekend. My friend and I would have been miserable though. The wind has been ferocious, temps in the 50's and cloudy. Not good outdoor shopping weather.

So, I stayed home, DD and the kids were gone for the day so I took my time doing chores and just enjoyed being by myself. DHL delivered some Amazon goodies this afternoon. The wind was so strong, I couldn't get the storm door open at first. Then once I got out I had a hard time opening it back up. Once I did the wind took it and slammed it against a pot I have on the porch. I just knew the glass was broken but it had not even a crack.

Good evening to all Quackers.

Mona- I hope one of the robes works for you. Maybe you will be extra fortunate and both will be suitable and you can keep them both. Then you would have one all ready to go for future use if one wears out or something happens to it to make it unwearable.

Snowysmom - Continuted thoughts and prayers as you navigate though this first Christmas without Chris. I hope you are able to have some joy and laughter in the midst of your sorrow of missing him.

Sweetpea - I didn’t post when you posted last, but please know people are pulling for you. Life and relationships are just plain hard sometimes. I pray you have a joy filled holiday season.

lynxstch - I know the mail carriers are prob overworked and stressed beyond measure right now, but to just leave a pile of mail on the ground is uncalled for. I guess giving the route delivery person the benefit of the doubt…maybe they set it down to open the boxes and forgot it, or realized it didn’t belong in that group of boxes and set it down to put back in the truck and forgot it. Whatever happened it is a great thing you found it and was able get it to the right person.

dazedx3 - Enjoy this time with your son!

Carol - So sorry to hear you’re daughter and her family are having such a rough go. Prayers they all test negative. I can feel her frustration.

Can’t believe that a week from now Christmas will be winding down. I have ALOT to do this week. It will get done, just gotta focus and take it one step at a time.

Have a good evening all.

@flyingdumbo127 I am glad you ordered both robes so you can pick which one, or both, are what you want.

It sounds like everyone is very busy getting ready for Christmas day. I made sugar cookie dough yesterday and will make the cookies in the next couple of days. I have been doing since this Chris and I were married. I am not feeling it this year but I know the kids like them too and it can be a dessert for brunch. Chris loved the cookies and I think he ate most of the them.

Yesterday I got my hair cut. My hair dresser is such a kind sweet person. She is so helpful and caring. Her father passed from covid very early in the pandemic. He had comorbidities and was in his 70s. She and her mom are still having a tough time with it. So we talk and help each other through. I feel bad for her as no one asks how she is doing with losing her father. Her mom is very inner directed which is probably how she goes through the grieving process. I try to connect with my sons and ask how they are doing and if they want to talk. And if I am having a particularly bad day which most of them seem to be this month, I talk with them or text. I also went to the house yesterday not that I have alot to do any more as most of it is tossing stuff into the dumpster now. I did wash the bathroom walls and vacuum. I put seed in the bird feeder so the fat squirrel can feast. The stuff that lands on the ground the turkeys eat. Older DS and I are going to the house today. He will be getting rid of stuff and we will take pictures of what we can't keep.

Have a good day.

Good morning all. 38 degrees outside, and that will be our high. There were some pretty strong winds last nite, we could hear them howling and banging the wind chimes on the front porch.

@PollyannaMom I can relate. I didn't go to sleep till midnite, and tried to sleep in till 6..but I had 3 of the cats standing on the bed staring at me, they were hungry. The outside cats were all just sitting on the steps and chair, patiently waiting, lol

Going to stop at the local Fruit Bowl today and get some currants to make my English Teacake Cookies, then maybe get Chinese for a late lunch or early dinner..then it's home for football. We gave up on our favorite chinese place..they started using Jasmine rice in their fried rice, and it makes it crunchy and I don't care for it. And we don't have a lot of other places to choose from, going to try the one the stepdaughter likes

Have a nice morning all

f7260cd577a09d63b46fa86af9f843ab--sunday-pictures-sunday-images.jpg

Good morning all. 38 degrees outside, and that will be our high. There were some pretty strong winds last nite, we could hear them howling and banging the wind chimes on the front porch.

@PollyannaMom I can relate. I didn't go to sleep till midnite, and tried to sleep in till 6..but I had 3 of the cats standing on the bed staring at me, they were hungry. The outside cats were all just sitting on the steps and chair, patiently waiting, lol

Going to stop at the local Fruit Bowl today and get some currants to make my English Teacake Cookies, then maybe get Chinese for a late lunch or early dinner..then it's home for football. We gave up on our favorite chinese place..they started using Jasmine rice in their fried rice, and it makes it crunchy and I don't care for it. And we don't have a lot of other places to choose from, going to try the one the stepdaughter likes

Have a nice morning all

View attachment 631823

I can relate to the cats. Right now, I have 3 indoor cats and one outdoor cat.

I'm usually up by 5:30am and they get fed. This morning it was a little after 6 and Chandler was staring at me. He is my daughter's cat who came to me late last summer and hasn't left. He's an amazing cat, well behaved and loveydovey. He's also 13 years old and is looking to be in charge.

Anyway stumble out of bed and take care of them plus KittyKitty outside, who is looking in my kitchen window, and would come in through the window if I let him.

That's not going to happen until he gets tame enough to let me bring him to the vet, for all the usual services. I can't have him mixing it up and maybe infecting my indoor cats with whatever. Anyway, I bought him an igloo (dog house) for the winter and he seems happy in there. I also have it sheltered on my deck for him. He is getting bolder when I bring his food out, but hasn't touched/let me pet him yet.

So, after my coffee I am sitting watching the migrant birds at Blackwater Refuge on the webcams: Waterfowl Cam | Friends of Blackwater NWR

Sometimes I see stuff I don't want to see, such as an eagle having breakfast on the Osprey cam. But mostly today it's just rainy over there so nothing spectacular. Earlier last week there were some spectacular sunrise colors, but today is gray and dull.

I'm really wanting to drive over and go early morning when the snow geese are there. But it will be cold, I'm sure. At least it won't be all buggy like in summer!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Happy Sunday, friends!

Thanks, Kirby. :grouphug:I'm sorry you had to cancel. Many prayers for your family to be healthy, my friend!

Hug and thank you as well, Frog! I am not sure both are affordable but I'm grateful to be able to try both at one time. Christmas is indeed coming! Take time (all of you) to be still and journey closer with Him to the Manger.

:hug:Snowysmom, you are a lovely person! Prayers to your hairdresser indeed. :) I'm so glad you have a fun Christmas cookie memory of Chris.

PollyannaMom, lol, pets like kids want to eat (or so anything) when THEY want to do whatever!

You please have a nice morning (now afternoon) too, Lynn!

Judique, that sounds so tranquil to get to see some snow geese, I hope you do!

I'll check back later :)

Good afternoon.

Been to church. No other plans to leave the house today. Football on TV.

I have been texting with both of my kids. DD about holiday plans. Kids and her DH are negative, her test not back yet.

DS was able to pick up his new car yesterday. He ordered it in August. He was very excited about that. And he got us a White House Tour for Wednesday late morning so have been planning that. DH and I think we may drive down Tuesday night and spend the night in a hotel. That way we can see all the lighted trees by the White House and not have to worry about rush hour traffic in Baltimore and DC Wednesday morning. DS has a lunch reservation for us at Old Ebbitt Grill.

I can't even tell you our plans 12/23-12/25. I need a spend sheet to keep it straight who is where when.

I am sitting watching the migrant birds at Blackwater Refuge on the webcams
That is really cool. We have been there. Have you ever gone to Bombay Hook? It is nice too.

Almost finished all wrapping and expect to be before bed tonight.

Home from errands. Picked up currents and a few bags of candy at the Fruit Bowl. Stopped at Save a Lot and got Mr L a container of vanilla ice cream.

Got Chinese and I can't win. I do not like the Jasmine rice they use,,as they don't cook it enough, and it's 'crunchy' for lack of a better word. 2 of the 3 places in town are closed today,,another (one we wanted) is closed temporarily, but it's been a few months now. So we went to the usual place. I ordered sweet and sour pork, and a container of pork chow mein with crispy noodles. Get home and open the bag..no crispy noodles, and 2 containers of rice?

I called and she looked up the order and it says to put chow mein noodles with it..someone in the kitchen can't read apparently . It wasn't worth driving back into town..so she gave me her name and said the next time you order..tell them my name and tell them your next dinner is free. I ate some of the chow mein, a little of the rice (still crunchy). Mr L had coconut shrimp and declared them delicious. So we will be having a very light dinner later,,maybe just a bowl of cereal.

He is 'watching football', which means he's sound asleep and snoring..lol

Its sunny out, but the temp is only 40 so it feels cold. I am off to feed all the cats their dinner..then get into warm cozy pjs and watch a Hallmark movie till he wakes up..

Have a nice evening

Falling behind again but for good reason, I've been pushing myself to get stuff done and not just sitting around doing nothing so I've just been busy. Went to lunch and shopping one day with my friend and then two days later we went to breakfast and shopping again. Getting a little more into the spirit as time goes on.

DD is officially working from home full time as of last week. Not sharing all the details but they've had workplace violence threats on her building for this coming week. Management said they are upping security and making the building more secure as well as offering everyone the day off on the day mentioned in the threats. Her department offered everyone to just start working from home since they had mentioned the possibility of doing it a couple days a week if people were interested. She had some trouble getting into her system on Friday so she ended up going in and working from the office for the day. She hopes everything will be sorted tomorrow so she doesn't need to go back to the office. So scary....what is wrong with people??
Of course she's thrilled about getting to work from home...LOL Just not how she expected it to happen.

Only have a minute but wanted to share pics of my mangers/nativities (since we’ve talked about them since last year!). The first one is the one I’ve had for years that had little cloth folk art figurines but several of those got lost. (Ie the one I’ve been upset over.) I bought these figurines the other day at an antique shop. Because it sits in a high-traffic area in the living room, and one bump can send everything flying, I bought double-faced tape and taped each down in place, then added the “hay”. I am looking for a small star to glue up top, will have to keep my eye out. I am glad I can use my little stable again.

553A8034-7348-45C9-AD46-41A57D19BE8F.jpeg

Then this one is the one I bought at an estate sale a few months ago. I love the stable itself - and the figurines are really nice! Did the same thing with the figurines - taped them down, then added the hay. DH originally had put these figurines in my other stable, but I didn’t like them there, nor did I want to break up the set. Someone obviously loved that set as it was in such good shape. But it has a nice spot now in our sunroom.

960B678D-3766-4F07-B201-00097A1F585A.jpeg

For storage we’re going to bubble wrap and put in a plastic container so there’s no breakage or loss. 🐥

Mona, here is a drop cookie recipe that I used to make with my friends that lived across the street from us at their house when I was a child.
View attachment 631729
Thank you, Kirby so much! Do you think we could use butter instead of shortening?

I asked DH (professional). He said you can use butter in place of shortening, but the cookies will be crispier. The shortening is to keep the cookies nice and soft. A compromise would be margarine, but they will still be crispy. 👍🏻

Sugar Cookies we have made before and this morning put our own touch onto. We added a dash of sugar and a "secret ingredient" of a handful of chocolate chips--very tasty! Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I also love all your Nativities, Pea!

Much love and prayers to each of you always! I need to finish some Christmas wrapping of surprises for dad. Be back later.

I asked DH (professional). He said you can use butter in place of shortening, but the cookies will be crispier. The shortening is to keep the cookies nice and soft. A compromise would be margarine, but they will still be crispy. 👍🏻
Good to know, thanks!

Was on the chilly side when we got up this morning. Had my heat strips on all night. Someone else mentioned being up late last night. I went to bed about 3:30 am, couldn't sleep. Guess it was the Dr. Pepper I drank for dinner.

Our Sunday school class is going through a series on the Wisdom books of the Bible. We've had some interesting classes so far. Today's lesson was from Ecclesiates titled "Everything is Meaningless". Next week's is on the meaning of life.

With DH coming home from his deer hunt a day early, I had nothing planned for dinner today. So the two of us went out to eat at El Chico. Not our best Mexican restaurant but not our worst either.

Why does planning a Christmas meal have to be so hard? I sent out a group text to my kids, my sister and her daughter. Somehow, the group text showed up as single texts and everyone responded as single texts. DS responded first, then DD, then my sister and lastly her daughter. I asked each of them to respond to the group text so that they each could see what was being spoken for in which they all asked "What group text?". Then my niece sent another reply to an old, old group text that included her brother who will not be here for Christmas and the others began responding to that. I had to go on the old group text to say this was not the correct one and apologize to my nephew for having his phone dinging off the wall. Then I sent out a text on my original group text, which magically began working correctly, saying what sides each person wanted to bring in the order in which they originally responded. Now my sister is ticked off at me because she can't bring what she wanted because DS beat her to the punch since she didn't see his response when they were all single texting me back. Oy vey!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter