Question about do not disturb on door

I'd like to point out that anyone can buy Disney Cast Member name tags online. A simple Google search will prove me right. So the name tags are not a reliable form of identification when anyone can buy them.

That is pretty much my point. How would a guest know the difference between a stranger who is attempting to appear as an employee and a legitimate Disney Cast Member. These security checks should be done by someone wearing a Disney security uniform that includes a badge. These badges are not available online and the penalties for impersonating a police officer exist verses no laws preventing someone from impersonating a cast member.

Some people may think that they are intelligent enough to instantly know the difference between an impersonator and a legitimate Cast Member or perhaps they may believe that crime never happens on Disney property. All I am saying is that I would prefer that these room checks be done by properly trained, police uniform wearing, security Cast Members. I firmly believe that it is only a matter of time until someone wishing harm figures out that they can knock on guest's doors and the guest will think that they are required to open the door and let them in.

If you can't see that then consider why Disney feels the need to do these room checks in the first place. Obviously something is going on to the point where they need to check the rooms. Doesn't it make sense that these room checks be performed by properly trained and uniformed security personnel? Or am I naive to think that?

~NM

I'd like to point out that anyone can buy Disney Cast Member name tags online. A simple Google search will prove me right. So the name tags are not a reliable form of identification when anyone can buy them.

That is pretty much my point. How would a guest know the difference between a stranger who is attempting to appear as an employee and a legitimate Disney Cast Member. These security checks should be done by someone wearing a Disney security uniform that includes a badge. These badges are not available online and the penalties for impersonating a police officer exist verses no laws preventing someone from impersonating a cast member.

Some people may think that they are intelligent enough to instantly know the difference between an impersonator and a legitimate Cast Member or perhaps they may believe that crime never happens on Disney property. All I am saying is that I would prefer that these room checks be done by properly trained, police uniform wearing, security Cast Members. I firmly believe that it is only a matter of time until someone wishing harm figures out that they can knock on guest's doors and the guest will think that they are required to open the door and let them in.

If you can't see that then consider why Disney feels the need to do these room checks in the first place. Obviously something is going on to the point where they need to check the rooms. Doesn't it make sense that these room checks be performed by properly trained and uniformed security personnel? Or am I naive to think that?

~NM
The part you are leaving out is that could have happened before room checks started. Nothing stopped someone from going online, buying a name tag and knocking on doors all over property till someone let them in. Room checks have nothing to do with that. It wasn't a rampant problem before and it's not going to be now.

These security checks should be done by someone wearing a Disney security uniform that includes a badge.
You need to tell Disney this, and why.
These badges are not available online and the penalties for impersonating a police officer exist
Disney Security CMs aren't police officers. If they wore police uniforms, they could conceivably be arrested and prosecuted for impersonating police officers.
Disney has an abundance of plain-clothes security. Putting these CMs in uniforms would negate the purpose.

The part you are leaving out is that could have happened before room checks started. Nothing stopped someone from going online, buying a name tag and knocking on doors all over property till someone let them in. Room checks have nothing to do with that. It wasn't a rampant problem before and it's not going to be now.

The difference is that before the Do Not Disturb door hangers were replaced with Room Occupied hangers was that I was not required to open the door. Now every day that I am in the room when these security checks are being conducted I am REQUIRED to open the door and let in whomever knocks to come all the way in the room and conduct an inspection.

You need to tell Disney this, and why.

I have done this last month. The conversation happened with a Guest Services Cast Member who told me that she would pass on my concerns to the big cheese.

Disney Security CMs aren't police officers. If they wore police uniforms, they could conceivably be arrested and prosecuted for impersonating police officers.
Disney has an abundance of plain-clothes security. Putting these CMs in uniforms would negate the purpose.

I think you know what I mean but I'll be explicit. The person conducting these room checks needs to wear Disney Security OFFICER uniforms. I sincerely doubt that a uniformed Disney Security officer "could conceivably be arrested and prosecuted for impersonating police officers."

~NM

The difference is that before the Do Not Disturb door hangers were replaced with Room Occupied hangers was that I was not required to open the door. Now every day that I am in the room when these security checks are being conducted I am REQUIRED to open the door and let in whomever knocks to come all the way in the room and conduct an inspection.
No you are not. There is no one that will force you to walk over and put you hand on the open door and open it.
If you don't want to open it, don't.
If it's truly Disney employee then they may well return with one of the latch release tools.
If it's a fake guard, or employee of some other sort, they will not.
But you are not required to do anything. You still have free will.
And a fake employee/guard/whatever you are so overly worried about, they would have ignored that Do Not Disturb sign anyway. You really think someone out to do harm is going to let a Do Not Disturb sign stop them?
Seriously.

No you are not. There is no one that will force you to walk over and put you hand on the open door and open it.
If you don't want to open it, don't.
If it's truly Disney employee then they may well return with one of the latch release tools.
If it's a fake guard, or employee of some other sort, they will not.
But you are not required to do anything. You still have free will.
And a fake employee/guard/whatever you are so overly worried about, they would have ignored that Do Not Disturb sign anyway. You really think someone out to do harm is going to let a Do Not Disturb sign stop them?
Seriously.

Again it's not the sign, it's that I am required to open the door when someone knocks. I am required to let this person all the way into my room to do a security sweep. This is supposed to be happening every day for every room. Seriously.

~NM

I can think of two reasons why no other major hotel chain has decided to bother guests on a daily basis like at Disney World:
  1. Disney received a security threat that was verified by local, state, or federal law enforcement agencies.
  2. Disney doesn't know how to run hotels.
I spent many, many years working in hotels in both operations and sales. I also spent several years working at Walt Disney World in positions related to both operations and sales. Based on that experience, I'm going all in on option #2.

I can think of two reasons why no other major hotel chain has decided to bother guests on a daily basis like at Disney World:
  1. Disney received a security threat that was verified by local, state, or federal law enforcement agencies.
  2. Disney doesn't know how to run hotels.
I spent many, many years working in hotels in both operations and sales. I also spent several years working at Walt Disney World in positions related to both operations and sales. Based on that experience, I'm going all in on option #2.

(PREFACE: No one is saying the crime I'm mentioning has or is happening at Disney! AT ALL.)
I think its clear that Disney's doing the daily room checks because it could defend against liability for suits arising from an alleged victim of human trafficking. (And of course to stop the crime.) Florida (NOT WDW) apparently has a significant problem with this crime, and legislation is pending to hold hotels liable. That legislation didn't provide that defense initially - it was amended to add a defense (for hotels sued) if they took reasonable steps to be aware of the crime and report it. A victim in PA successfully sued for millions (IIRC), so a hotel that is taking reasonable precautions - the PA one didn't - has a defense. In the past few weeks the FL pending law has been halted (I haven't followed it in a month). Regardless, I'd think any hotel's lawyer in FL would urge his/her client to do daily room checks. Its by far the easiest way (to do and to document that it was done) to defend against this sort of lawsuit and (hopefully) stop this horrible criminal activity.

Agree that name tags aren't identification. You should be asking to see their CM identification (looks kind of like a license) card if you have any doubt.
Again it's not the sign, it's that I am required to open the door when someone knocks. I am required to let this person all the way into my room to do a security sweep. This is supposed to be happening every day for every room. Seriously.

~NM
Actually, you are not required to open the door when someone knocks. If you have any doubt that this person is a CM you should be calling security from inside your room while the person remains outside.

(PREFACE: No one is saying the crime I'm mentioning has or is happening at Disney! AT ALL.)
I think its clear that Disney's doing the daily room checks because it could defend against liability for suits arising from an alleged victim of human trafficking. (And of course to stop the crime.) Florida (NOT WDW) apparently has a significant problem with this crime, and legislation is pending to hold hotels liable. That legislation didn't provide that defense initially - it was amended to add a defense (for hotels sued) if they took reasonable steps to be aware of the crime and report it. A victim in PA successfully sued for millions (IIRC), so a hotel that is taking reasonable precautions - the PA one didn't - has a defense. In the past few weeks the FL pending law has been halted (I haven't followed it in a month). Regardless, I'd think any hotel's lawyer in FL would urge his/her client to do daily room checks. Its by far the easiest way (to do and to document that it was done) to defend against this sort of lawsuit and (hopefully) stop this horrible criminal activity.
So every guest is seen as a potential criminal. Nice. :sad2:

I think it's possibly all just cover to give them an excuse to push themselves into rooms that previously had a DND sign on the door, requiring that they backtrack to clean those rooms later in the day. Now they can just work their way down the hall marking rooms off their list, reportedly as early as 7:30 AM.

Didn't they just have a big housekeeping efficiency review done?

I think it's possibly all just cover to give them an excuse to push themselves into rooms that previously had a DND sign on the door, requiring that they backtrack to clean those rooms later in the day. Now they can just work their way down the hall marking rooms off their list, reportedly as early as 7:30 AM.

Didn't they just have a big housekeeping efficiency review done?

During my lengthy conversation with the manager at POFQ two weeks ago I was assured that I was not required to respond to housekeeping, maintenance or hospitality and that they were not authorized to knock if the Room Occupied was on the door. She did tell me that if Disney security was to knock then they would expect me to respond but if we were uncomfortable (my dd and I this trip) we should call from the room phone.

I fully intended to refuse if housekeeping (or the others) knocked when the sign was out but i was going to make the security decision on the spot depending on time of day and who was in the room if it happened. If I were allowed to step completely outside and close the door behind me I would then have let security enter if they choose. After that first morning of 4 interruptions and a phone call we were never bothered again (3 night stay) so I didn't have to make that decision.

During my lengthy conversation with the manager at POFQ two weeks ago I was assured that I was not required to respond to housekeeping, maintenance or hospitality and that they were not authorized to knock if the Room Occupied was on the door. She did tell me that if Disney security was to knock then they would expect me to respond but if we were uncomfortable (my dd and I this trip) we should call from the room phone.

I fully intended to refuse if housekeeping (or the others) knocked when the sign was out but i was going to make the security decision on the spot depending on time of day and who was in the room if it happened. If I were allowed to step completely outside and close the door behind me I would then have let security enter if they choose. After that first morning of 4 interruptions and a phone call we were never bothered again (3 night stay) so I didn't have to make that decision.
If that's the case, then why the change from "Do Not Disturb" to "Room Occupied"?

Agree that name tags aren't identification. You should be asking to see their CM identification (looks kind of like a license) card if you have any doubt.

Actually, you are not required to open the door when someone knocks. If you have any doubt that this person is a CM you should be calling security from inside your room while the person remains outside.
I agree.
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can say they are required to open a door or even how you could be required to. What physically requires it? Expected to open, sure. Required? Nope. Required means you have no other choice. You do have a choice. It's not like the door will pop open automatically if you don't respond. Nor will it be like a police raid where they use a battering ram to open the door if you don't respond. You can ignore it. Or heck, if you are alone and say, in the shower and can't even hear it, how would you respond even if you are willing to cooperate with the inspections?
Would that mean that someone will return with the tool to bypass the flip bar? Yeah, chances are pretty good that they will. And I'd be willing to accept responsibility to expect it. I'd just say sorry, we couldn't get to the door in time. But at least put it on their side to have to go to the effort to get in.

Regardless, I'd think any hotel's lawyer in FL would urge his/her client to do daily room checks. Its by far the easiest way (to do and to document that it was done) to defend against this sort of lawsuit and (hopefully) stop this horrible criminal activity.

There are hundreds of thousands of hotel rooms here in Florida. Other than Disney, I haven't heard of any hotel chain that is bothering their paying guests. If any hotel was going to do something to combat human trafficking, it will be the ones located near major hubs. The thought that the Disney Resorts are being used in a human trafficking ring strains credulity.

I'm sticking with my belief that Disney doesn't know how to properly run hotels.

There are hundreds of thousands of hotel rooms here in Florida. Other than Disney, I haven't heard of any hotel chain that is bothering their paying guests. If any hotel was going to do something to combat human trafficking, it will be the ones located near major hubs. The thought that the Disney Resorts are being used in a human trafficking ring strains credulity.

I'm sticking with my belief that Disney doesn't know how to properly run hotels.

Totally agree!!

Right. They have only been doing it for almost 50 years. I'm sure they will get it right sometime. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter