Question about UY on transferred points

utahkennedys

DIS Veteran
We haven't even gone on our next trip in September and already I want to plan my 9/06 trip! Anyhow, I want to pay to have points transferred to me for either BWV or BCV for 9/06. My questions are:

1. How can I make sure that the points transferred retain their UY? When I just had 2 other members transfer points to me, both people at MS on the 2 transactions said the points would just have my OKW UY, which was fine by me b/c we are staying at OKW. However, on this next trip, I want to get the 11-month advantage on these points to make reservations maybe for BWV standard view when the window opens.

2. How hard is it to get BCV or BWV (even if preferred view) 7 months ahead for September? Worst case, if the points became OKW points, I could book then.

Thanks!

My understanding is that there is a difference between what the transfer rules say and what DVC's computers can deliver. Transfered points are supposed to retain their characteristics, but as a practical matter, I don't think DVC's computer system can actually do that.

With that background, I sure would not risk being able to get the 11-month window. I'd be much more inclined to have the BWV/BCV owner make the ressies at 11 months and be done with it. You're going to get the points from them anyway; just have them do the whole thing.

I've never tried it, but from what I've heard, BWV standard view ain't happenin' at 7 months.

Here's what I would do -

Look for BCV (or BWV if that is your first choice) around the 10-11 month mark (October - November, 2005). Be sure that the points you accept would be valid for a September 2006 stay. As soon as the transfer is completed, have the CM make the reservation. He/She will know that the points you are getting are for BCV (or BWV) and that you are entitled to the home resort booking window for them.

The rules clearly state that transferred points retain their home resort status. If you can't make the ressie right away, be sure to keep the confirmation number for the transfer and to tell the CM that you will be using the transferred points to make a reservation at the resort the points belong to. If the CM hesitates or gives you a bad time, ask for a supervisor. MS can work out their computer issues so that you can do what the rules say you can. It may require polite insistence on your part, but they will make it work.

Best wishes -

September is not one of the more difficult times to book. I think you could get BCV or BWV (PV-Pool/Garden) at the 7 month mark. If you are going to the trouble of booking at 11 months and want BWV, go for a Boardwalk view or Standard view (if you want to save points).

Best wishes -

I recently had August UY BWV points added to my OKW December membership. I understand that the transfer had to be made manually. I called MS to check whether the points had transferred successfully. I was told that the points do retain the US of the transferring party, and also the booking and banking requirements. I was told that MS have been cautioned to be watchful of UY's when making reservations even though the computer seems to have glitches. FWIW ::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter