Question for Canadian DVC owners - dues?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
I hope to rent out points and be able to use the funds to pay my dues.

Iif anyone has done this , how have you paid the dues in USD without losing on the exchange rate? For example if I have USD in a PayPal account, I don’t believe I can pay DVc directly from it. Then my options are:

1. move money into a US account (eg RBC US), but then I’d have to transfer it into my US Account at my Canadian bank , and pay from there (have done this , is a minor pain)
2. Use PayPal funds to buy Disney gift cards and use those to pay the dues (haven’t tried this yet)

any other options ?

I hope to rent out points and be able to use the funds to pay my dues.

Iif anyone has done this , how have you paid the dues in USD without losing on the exchange rate? For example if I have USD in a PayPal account, I don’t believe I can pay DVc directly from it. Then my options are:

1. move money into a US account (eg RBC US), but then I’d have to transfer it into my US Account at my Canadian bank , and pay from there (have done this , is a minor pain)
2. Use PayPal funds to buy Disney gift cards and use those to pay the dues (haven’t tried this yet)

any other options ?
So I have a RBC us account. Not a US$ account but an actual account. They are based out of Georgia, I believe. You can go into a branch and they can help set one up for you. I also have a US$ account in Canada. You can move US money back and forth between these 2 accounts and not have transaction fees. The US account does have $3per month account fee.
I dont think Disney will take from Paypal, but I have monthly withdrawls from my US account and no issues.
I use this account just for Disney. When I rent out those fees go right into paypal, then I transfer right away into the account.
Hope that helps and I havent confused you.

RBC has RBC Bank in the US: https://www.rbcbank.com/cross-border/us-bank-accounts.html#new

It is an actual USA bank, not a US fund account at a Canadian bank. There is a monthly fee, but this may solve your issue. If you bank with RBC, you can link your RBC (Canada) accounts and your RBC Bank (USA) account and transfer funds back and forth; the website has info on this.

It has been a while since I checked but I believe at least one other of Canada's major banks has a similar set-up, or at least they did years ago. We've been using the RBC option for US banking for many years now and have been quite happy with it [we are not DVC members and do not use it for that purpose].

SW

Thanks - I had done that before, but got a bit irritated by the monthly charge at the RBC US bank. I guess in the absence of available other options, it isn't a big deal I guess.

Has anyone done the disney gift card route? If so, were you able to purchase them anywhere through Paypal?

TD also has US branches (and, thus, US accounts). They have one with no monthly fees as long as you have something like $100 in the account (I don't remember the exact amount but it was low). The next level up has, I think, minimum of about $2,500 (but some of the inclusions, like free wire transfers, may make it worth it). They do have branches in Florida (though I don't know if any are in Orlando).

I tried to do this last year. I didn’t want to pay the monthly fee for a US based account . Disney website wouldn’t let me pay with PayPal because it was a Canadian PayPal (even though I was trying to use US funds). After a lot of headache I just swallowed the exchange fees. It didn’t end up being as bad as I thought it would be actually.

not sure about paying for us disney gc while in canada using your paypal. I know some close to the border go with the target route and get their gc a little cheaper, or sams club.

Ooh I order Disney email gift cards through target and pay via PayPal in US dollars if this helps ?? The cards get emailed to me within a few hours ..

I tried to do this last year. I didn’t want to pay the monthly fee for a US based account . Disney website wouldn’t let me pay with PayPal because it was a Canadian PayPal (even though I was trying to use US funds). After a lot of headache I just swallowed the exchange fees. It didn’t end up being as bad as I thought it would be actually.

I was able to do this a few weeks ago with a PayPal balance in USD. Maybe they changed the settings to allow this now?

Bumping up a slightly dated post to ask if it is still possible in 2023 to use USD in a Canadian Paypal account to buy Disney GC's?

I opened the RBC US Account and they gave me the option of adding on a no fee US RBC Credit Card. So now I just use that card for all US based transactions to avoid forex fees. When I rent out points, I have the renter pay via PayPal into my US wallet. I simply transfer the amount from paypal into my US RBC account to pay off the US Credit Card, thus avoiding loss of funds during conversion.

I opened the RBC US Account and they gave me the option of adding on a no fee US RBC Credit Card. So now I just use that card for all US based transactions to avoid forex fees. When I rent out points, I have the renter pay via PayPal into my US wallet. I simply transfer the amount from paypal into my US RBC account to pay off the US Credit Card, thus avoiding loss of funds during conversion.

May I ask how much in monthly fees you have to pay for your RBC us account? I had opened one before, but the fees were bit much .

May I ask how much in monthly fees you have to pay for your RBC us account? I had opened one before, but the fees were bit much .
ours is 3.95 per month,,,US,,,,but I have no Canadian fees for any bank account here,,so its my convivence fee

if you are looking for a free way to do this, you can use paypal and wise.com you can send from paypal to your wise account for free, and then use the wise account to pay dues (also for free). You only pay wise/paypal conversion fees if you send from USD->CAD but you dont need to do this, you can keep everything in USD.

Last edited:
We have a US Canadian based account with TD and a USD Canadian based VISA but have a TD Bank US account base din Kissimmee which I can see in the Canadian based TD easyweb account and can transfer USD funds at no cost. I set up the US based account when we rented some points that we could not use and had my Paypal account set up to our US based account and then my wife's is Canadian based. Works really well as stated before as long as we keep $100 in the US based account there are no fees and we pay our DVC dues monthly now from that account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter