Question for solo travelers....

emmagata

DIS Veteran
I've never really been on a vacation (a true vacation but I have been on business trips which I did some sight seeing) by myself.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will be single in the near future.

I really really LOVE WDW and have been there almost every year since 97 but I've always gone with at least one other person (or more. 2 years ago I went with 9 family members!!).

What I'd like to know is was it difficult to enjoy yourself the first time you went solo? You don't have anyone there to share the joy with.

I took my first solo trip to the World last December (although I had a day to myself there last August as well). I actually enjoyed touring by myself because I was the only one I had to please. If I didn't feel like doing something, I didn't have to do it. I could eat when I wanted, see what I wanted, and just do whatever I wanted to do. Heck, I danced in Frontierland with a couple of janitors on night. If I ever got lonely, all's I had to do is strike up a conversation with a cast member, or someone waiting in line.

Don't get me wrong--I love travelling with others, too, but a solo trip to Disney is something that is really great to experience.

And as a member of the DIS, you have the option of trying to meet up with other DISers who will be there the same time as you. There always seems to be someone from the DIS down there. Tons of DISers seem to go down in early December, so if you plan a trip for that time of year, you'll find out about a lot of DIS meets that you have the option of going to.

Karen

I agree with karen. My first solo trip was the week after my Mom's funeral, We had planned the vacation for the 2 of us before she became ill. I just had to get away. Like Karen I'd strike up a conversation with CMs and those in line. It can be refreshing to do whatever you want whenever you want.

If I had to wait for someone to go with me I would never go anywhere. I've traveled solo for many years and have always had a good time. Don't get me wrong having dome with is always nice but doing things solo has its rewards. WDW is no exception. The CM's always made me feel at home.

65 days and counting :Pinkbounc :bounce:

But......

You have US to share the joy of WDW with!!!!

:grouphug:

Who else will hang on to every word you say!!!.

Have fun
Susan :wave2:

Originally posted by KittyKitty
But......

You have US to share the joy of WDW with!!!!

:grouphug:

Who else will hang on to every word you say!!!.

Have fun
Susan :wave2:

Ah shucks. Thanks!

I have traveled for work as a solo but took my first solo Disney vacation last November. It was the best vacation I ever had. I am the type of person who can generally strike up a conversation with anyone when I choose to. I am also the type of person who has no problem eating alone in a restaurant. Truly try it. It is nice to have someone to share the experience with but I sure did not feel as though I missed out on some fabulous event because I didn't have someone to share it with. I felt perfectly sane and happy that I didn't have to compromise on any issue (for instance, if I wanted to ride Test Track 10 times in a row, no one could stop me.) BTW, my trip wasn't a 4/5/6 or 7 day solo trip. No I do a whambang solo trip for a wonderful 10 days. If you feel a bit lonely, pull out the cell phone and call a family member. After 10 to 20 minutes of bull, you'll feel like your home in the middle of your vacation.

Also, there is a different way to look at this vacation altogether. There are tons of people on this board who wish that they had the courage and money to be able to take a solo vacation but simply can't or won't. There are families who go to Disney and make each other miserable, sit on a bench for 20 minutes and you'll spot them. The one time in life that you should enjoy is your vacation. It is earned and needed and there is no shame in being alone. Don't ever feel sorry for yourself or feel that you've missed something because you haven't. Okay, time for me to stop being preachy. Just do it.

emmagata,

I have had many enjoyable experiences going alone.
My first few times I went with list of things that I had not been to before at WDW. You know how it can be very difficult to have a group agree. I had never been able to catch the opening of the Magic Kingdom before my first solo trip. Someone always made all of us too late. I was able to try restaurants that I have always wanted to try too.

I hope you decide to go and I hope you have a great time.

All the best, Paula

not a problem for eat.

now eating at a restuarant was - the first time - but I got over that fast - bring a book, or your schedule - to make changes too, or your trip guide to make notes it - so you can come back and tell US!!! all about it!

the most important thing - have FUN!!!

if you want to go to a character breakfast go - if you want to hang out all day in the lobby, pool or just around the resort - do it!!!

remember you control!!!

I also generally people watch more often alone - and you get to help people - lots of guest need help with their pictures - you can always offer to take their picture!!!! then they take one of you.

Also the CM's are more likely to talk to a lone traveler than a group....

In the lines - you can read - or ask questions about the people in line with you - where are they from, who they came with (so if they are solo like you - they might be willing to do another ride with you), what are their favorite rides or attractions, etc.....

aren't you glad I am not behind you!!!:crazy: :chat:

I'm new, so forgive my ignorance. :rolleyes: Just WHAT does "CM" stand for?

Originally posted by PRB
I'm new, so forgive my ignorance. :rolleyes: Just WHAT does "CM" stand for?

CM=cast member (Disney employee)

Karen

Thx Karen...I've seen lots of "abbreviations" I"m clueless about.

<b>PRB</b> If you have any questions, just ask. These boards are here to share information.

I will be back at WDW in March, 5 days with my wife and 10 days solo for work. All trips have their ups and downs, same as traveling with someone.

Smile and look around - check out the resort activities (POR has a great piano bar at night for solos). Check out CSR always full of solo business people. The Boardwalk has some great places as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

It is not difficult at all to be there alone!

I have many wonderful memories of being there with family and friends and those memories come alive when I'm there alone.

BUT, I get to do what I want the entire time..........

It's different, but wonderful.

You notice things you wouldn't with someone else.

You talk to people you wouldn't with someone else there.

You EAT things you wouldn't with others there......lol

Go. Have a blast!

Karen

When I stand in an attraction line, I notice the people who are standing in line with me. In my mind I think of things that I could start a conversation with. If someone has an odd looking Disney Hat, I might say " I really love your hat - where did you get that one? " Or I might say: " Your kids are so cute!"

Now.....I'm having a better time as I am gabbing with the people in line. Sometimes I almost have to force myself to do this...but be sure to be sincere. If the person looks like someone that you would rather not talk to, then don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter