Question for those that do the Galloway method

cobbler

DIS Veteran
Ok, I'm intrigued and honestly I want to give it a try for an upcomng half I have in 2 weeks.

Since Jeff is pretty quick, I would assume he would start in a Corral A position.. However, it is my understanding - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that he starts his run / walk method right from the start. Now with the crowds and those who do start in the upper corrals and use this method, how do you start the walk section with all the congestion and other runners not getting upset with you? :confused3

I'm basically curious how those in upper corrals start using this and not getting run over and other problems that occur with the amount of people.

Any insight and information would be great. I'd love to give this a try and see if I can't improve on my time or modify current strategy.

Thanks! :wave:

We did a modified Galloway--run a mile walk a minute at W&D, and we started in the B corral. Our time was only two minutes slower than our 1/2 in September, and considering how much warmer and crowded this race was, I was very happy. I felt a million times better at the end of this race than the last one (until I got in the bag pick up line:scared1:), so will probably do this pattern again next time.

Anyhow, for a couple of miles we were running right along with Jeff Galloway's group. When there was a walk break he would put his hand up and move to the right. I think we heard him say walk or something similar. It didn't seem to be any big deal. We had no problems with our walk breaks, but we did make an effort to move to the right. The only part that was scary was AK, but it was so crowded through there. If I remember correctly, we waited on one of the breaks until we were exiting the park and it thinned out a tiny bit.

I wear a heart rate monitor when I run because I have an irregular heartrate and I like to keep an eye on it, and the walk breaks really enable me to keep my heartrate in zone 3 for a much longer time during long runs and races. We did not do any walk breaks when we ran a 1/2 in September and my heartrate went way up and stayed up much sooner, and I felt horrible at the end of the race--horrible muscle cramps, etc.

I am definitely sold on at least some form of walk break.

Good luck!:goodvibes

I'm not in the front corrals, but traffic is traffic. As the break approaches I move to the right, raise my left hand, kind of like taking an oath, and slow to a walk. Sort of like driving... slower traffic keep right, signal and be predictable.

Ronda

I have run/walk two Disney marathons with Jeff Galloway. I was in Corral A and joined him at the start. He did those two marathons using 1/1 and did start his walk breaks from the very beginning. He just moved to the side for his walks.

He said several times, "the other runners hate us at the start because we are walking and then they hate us at the end because we are passing them".

The run/walk does work. It takes self control to do the walks at the very beginning, but that is were the most benefit comes from.

I have run/walk two Disney marathons with Jeff Galloway. I was in Corral A and joined him at the start. He did those two marathons using 1/1 and did start his walk breaks from the very beginning. He just moved to the side for his walks.

He said several times, "the other runners hate us at the start because we are walking and then they hate us at the end because we are passing them".

The run/walk does work. It takes self control to do the walks at the very beginning, but that is were the most benefit comes from.

1:1 as in run a minute walk a minute? So her's the question- how fast are you going @ each interval? I really want to try this, as I'm hoping it'll save my knees & keep allowing me to participate, but I'm not gonna lie, time is important to me. Of course if my ITBs & knees keep pooping out @ mile 6, I'm not going to finish w/ a 'good' time (for me anyway), if I can finish at all.

1:1 as in run a minute walk a minute? So her's the question- how fast are you going @ each interval? I really want to try this, as I'm hoping it'll save my knees & keep allowing me to participate, but I'm not gonna lie, time is important to me. Of course if my ITBs & knees keep pooping out @ mile 6, I'm not going to finish w/ a 'good' time (for me anyway), if I can finish at all.

I too am curious about what kinds of speeds or times are being done when people are doing the Galloway Method. Why not just slow down a little and average out more consistently over the long run?

Yes, the 1/1 is run one minute and then walk one minute.

The key is to run the minute at the pace you want to and feel comfortable at. I've done a 4:56 marathon using this method. When I ran with Jeff we did the Disney at 5:08. The run was in the low 9:00 pace.

Why not just slow down and not use the run/walk? The walk uses different muscles and gives your running muscles a short recovery. The benefits of the run/walk is less injury, ability to finish strong (I always just run in the last 6 miles and feel great), and a quick recovery (I've done several marathons just weeks apart).

Next week I am running a marathon for time. I want to get a BQ at 3:35. I will be doing 1.5 miles run/40 sec walk. This is an example of how you can adjust the run/walk to fit your pacing and goal. It does not have to be a 1/1, do a 4/1 or 6/1.

Subscribing....
Am intrigued by the method. Am willing to give it a try for the Philly half in an attempt to save my knee...am going to try 3:1 intervals - he says this is for a ten minute per mile pace. I'll settle for 11 since I think I must be walking slower than he would like!

Hi There - I'm a gallowanian and am totally sold on the method. I'm also super super slow (had a 16:03 pace in W&D 1/2) but can give you some insight to the program itself.

I trained last year for 6 months to get up to a 5K with C25K and then tried following some training plans just to get me to race time. As I ran longer my run's just get getting slower and slower to the point that I almost did not feel like my "run" was faster than my walk. I did the everest challenge last year and my 5K time was at a pace of 16:48. I started with Galloway this year and I do 1:1 (mins not miles). When I train I have had my longest runs in the 15:00/mile range. I did get PF but that was due to bad sneakers and flat feet so that has slowed me down for a bit. But to be at 15:00/mile during the NYC heat was pretty amazing for me. I'm hoping to be at the 15:00 pace for the January 1/2.

For W&D I did start the walk breaks from the beginning. Yes, it's annoying for other runners. But I have a very loud beep and try to stay to the side when slowing down for the walk. As long as you alert people to your actions it seemed to be ok. And sometimes I modified it like Rose & Mike said...if you have to run an extra 20 seconds to get a better spot to stop you do. Also, sometimes I keep running the downhills and then take an extra walk break at another point. I definitely feel like I recover quicker.

I run with a Galloway group and there are those in faster pace groups that do 8 min/mile during races. Their ratio is just longer 7-8 minutes run then 1 min walk. It can be adjusted to whatever your goals are in terms of time.

Since Jeff is pretty quick, I would assume he would start in a Corral A position.. However, it is my understanding - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that he starts his run / walk method right from the start. Now with the crowds and those who do start in the upper corrals and use this method, how do you start the walk section with all the congestion and other runners not getting upset with you? :confused3

I'm basically curious how those in upper corrals start using this and not getting run over and other problems that occur with the amount of people.

The best way to handle the walking portion of your interval is to move to the edge of the course, right or left, before slowing down and starting to walk. This is good race etiquette to follow any time you need to slow down or stop (tie your shoelaces, stretch a calf on the curb, etc.). Abruptly slowing down or stopping in the middle of the road not only aggravates the people behind you, it can also be very dangerous if the runner directly behind you doesn't stop in time and ends up running into you. So, for your own safety as well as everyone else's, when you hear your watch beep to signal the start of a walk break, look around you and make your way to the edge of the course before walking. I'm glad that everyone on here has been advocating this approach as well. I only wish that everyone else "out there" did too.

Thanks everyone, but does bring something up. How do you time your walks / run? What kind of watch do you use? Basically I'd like to know how you are alerted to walk & run without having your eyes glued to some sort of time device..

Thanks

Thanks everyone, but does bring something up. How do you time your walks / run? What kind of watch do you use? Basically I'd like to know how you are alerted to walk & run without having your eyes glued to some sort of time device..

Thanks

I'm not doing Galloway but the Bingham-Hadfield Run/Walk (same basic critter though). I've got a Garmin FR60W which has an interval training program that I can set by time or distance. Since I'm on time intervals of 3:2 right now, I set the "run" for 3 minutes and the "rest" (walk) for 2 minutes. It lets me do a warm-up, then I start the "lap" button when I'm done with that (5 minutes for me). When it gets to 5 seconds left in each interval, it beeps - once each second. When it's time to change to the other interval it has a multiple beep that sounds different. Just have to keep my ears glued. LOL. (I can set it for the number of intervals I need - like today was 7 intervals of 3:2 and it automatically goes into cool down at the end of the last interval. If I'm not sure how many I'll need (like my long run days are by mileage but at a time interval, and my device doesn't have a way to say 3:2 intervals for 6 miles), I just guesstimate and can even set it over what I think I'll need and then when I've finished, I can just hit the lap button until it gets to cool down.

I use a Polar RS200. Similar to the Garmin chaos mentioned. You set intervals (up to 3) and it beeps to signal the changing periods. I create "exercises" that include the interval patterns I want. I select the exercise and don't have to change the interval. I have programmed 3:1, 5:1 and 10:2. There might be a 4:1 in there, too.

Several Timex Ironman watches have interval timers. I've seen the Gymboss, but it's too bulky for me.

Ronda

All comments about devices used would be appreciated. I'm fairly new to distance running and these are like new little tech toys of which I am clueless..

Another Galloway group member here. This is my 4th year running with a local Galloway group, and I've done all of my full and half marathons using run/walk - usually 3/1, sometimes 2/1. DH joined last year and did his first half marathon in 1:50 doing a 4/1 interval. Obviously, his run segments are in the 8:00 range, where mine are in the 11:00 range. You can pretty much hit any time you want for the race as long as you adjust your run times accordingly.

As for timing devices, I use a Garmin 205 and just watch the minutes. It can be set to beep at intervals, but I prefer not to set it. That way I can change intervals mid-race if I want to without having to reset the watch. We also have a Gymboss, which is made especially for Galloway and available through his website http://www.jeffgalloway.com/detail.aspx?ID=49. It can be set for any run/walk interval you choose, and it will either beep or vibrate to alert you.

I also strongly recommend, like everyone else, moving to the side before your walk break begins. I'm also a fan of continuing to run through a walk break if I'm on a downhill stretch, and altering the walk accordingly (another reason I don't always use a preset timing device.)

Jackie

Today I "ran" the Gallo-way. I used a Garmin 405 and set the run portion to 3 and the rest (walk) to 1. I still had knee problems at around mile 4 and occasionally had to walk a little more. I did 6 miles and wound up at an 11:06 pace overall. Couldn't have really gone much further without hurting myself, but I am sure I am much better off pain-wise had I just run the whole thing. Still think I will be doing this method for the Philly Half to give it a try.

I use a Garmin 305. As some of the others have mentioned, the Garmins can be set for whatever interval you need. It does a 5 second countdown to your next interval so you know when to get over to the side to slow down or start running. I LOVE IT! Especially now that I have figured out how to make it rotate screens and show me avg pace, current pace, distance, time, etc. Now I'm always on information overload.;)

Also, on my ipod touch I use an app called ITGO. It's an interval trainer that works with your own music. You can set that with some intervals and it will tell you either with a beep or with a voice to run/walk. I like that for my short runs when I'm alone and the Garmin for my long runs with my group. During the W&D though I planned on using my ITGO but somehow I couldn't get it to work (maybe it was because it popped off my belt and crashed at the start line), and I was lucky to have my Garmin on as backup. It's loud when it beeps so I was able to keep my music at a decent level and still hear the beeps when they went off.

Marathonmommy - hope your knee feels better!! You're amazing getting back out there for another Philly race. :worship: Didn't you just do one in Sept and W&D? I hope to be able to do all those runs in a row like that someday. Keep up the dedication!!!

Also, on my ipod touch I use an app called ITGO. It's an interval trainer that works with your own music. You can set that with some intervals and it will tell you either with a beep or with a voice to run/walk. I like that for my short runs when I'm alone and the Garmin for my long runs with my group. During the W&D though I planned on using my ITGO but somehow I couldn't get it to work (maybe it was because it popped off my belt and crashed at the start line), and I was lucky to have my Garmin on as backup. It's loud when it beeps so I was able to keep my music at a decent level and still hear the beeps when they went off.

Marathonmommy - hope your knee feels better!! You're amazing getting back out there for another Philly race. :worship: Didn't you just do one in Sept and W&D? I hope to be able to do all those runs in a row like that someday. Keep up the dedication!!!

I will have to check the ITGO out! Sounds neat!

By the way, you made my day! I was feeling a bit lame, old, and "who do I think I am" because of my knee, and you gave me a boost. Thanks! :hug:

I'm using a variation of the galloway method for the first time in a race situation on Sunday and this thread has been very interesting. I'm mostly walking with some running so for me, it will be finding an open spot ahead of me for my run interval.

I use my Garmin 305 for my intervals. If you have trouble hearing the beeps, one thing I did was put a corn pad on the back with the hole over the speaker. That raises the watch a little bit off my wrist and helps with the volume. It should also help keep water out of the speaker.

There are also Iphone/Ipod touch and Android apps for walk/run.

Someone on another web site found this walk run calculator where you can put in your walk/run ratio, walking pace, and goal pace and it will tell you what your run pace needs to be. If you switch the words walk and run everywhere on the side you could do the opposite as well, given a run pace and a goal pace how much can you slow down during your walking.

Jeremy- thks for sharing the info on the are/w time calculator. That's what I've been trying to figure out.

Laura- what else can I say - YOU ROCK! I share Janes's thoughts whole heartedly. I wish you were closer- I'd beg you to run the Jonas Cattell 10-miler w/ me this weekend- I'm terrified after W&D & need some comraderie!

Jane- wish we'd had more time to chat @ WD! Wudv lovd to talk Galloway! You mentioned a 'Galloway group' how'd you find out about them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter