Question for those who are teachers...

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
After getting a D on a Java programming test, I was seriously considering getting a teacher's certification. I have a BA in English and it seems like I just want to write. I seem to be good with kids (ask Robinrs or Cindy B) and I can have summers off to ride roller coasters! At the very least, I can get a part-time job at traffic school. :) I probably won't be rich, but I think I need something rewarding. Maybe I'm overreacting, but how is life like as a teacher?

Barry are you crazy? Ok, got that out of my system. I have been teaching for 15 years, and to be honest, I do not reccommend it to anyone. All the troubles with education, and money, it is just not worth it. It is very difficult to see the fruits of your labor anymore, and the success stories are not like they used to be.

I do not want to discourage you, but I am letting you know it is not about vacations, and time off. Now a days you have to continue to go to school for ever, to update your certification. There is teacher testing. You are held responsible for a child to succeed when there is no help from the home...you are nurse, psychologist, parent, teacher, friend...etc. Contrary to popular belief it is not a part time job :mad: :p It can be rewarding, but it can be frustrating and depressing too.

I wish you luck, but please think on this.

I agree with Glo.

I know so many people who think teachers teach so that they can have the summers off. They say that many people become teachers because they couldn't make it in their major.

Teaching is not any easy thing. You will have students from all walks of live. You will encounter parents that respect you and those that don't give a **** about you or what you are trying do.

You may get a small group of students that are all on grade level, and eager to learn. You may have 25-30 (or more) students ; without and aide; who are all on different levels.

Oh, and let's not forget about all the planning, workshops, meetings,training.......

I'm 35, I've known since I was in the 7th grade that I wanted to be a teacher. I love what I do, but it is not an easy task.

oh, and unless you teach in a warzone...or a very rich town, expect to take on a part time job. Most teachers who are single need to do so to supplement their salary. Oh, and no social security.....you have a pension plan.. :(

Your job is never safe from cuts and you are at fault for everything bad n this world.

Have to agree with Glo and Disneyjunkie. I love my job, but it is the hardest job I've ever worked . Here in Ma. they are laying off teachers at an alarming rate. Just when we thought we had seen the worst more cuts were announced last week. Class sizes are increasing, there's talk of pay cuts, there's no money for materials, student services are being cut. It's very scary. good luck to you in whatever decision you make.

I love teaching. Everyday I face a new challenge, whether it's the administrivia, the apathetic students, or parents who couldn't care less. Much less often, I find a student who really cares or, at the very least, really tries.

Teaching is tough...it is, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever done. Yes, I get the summer off. The pay isn't great and about the only way to get a real raise is to earn another degree. (I have a BA in English and Theatre, an MA in Education, and am working on an EdS in Educational Leadership.) (People who say that teachers do not deserve raises or should live on what they make...have never taught!

Schools never have any money, there are always cuts, and you can never really be sure that you are safe. (I teach required courses, so I am fairly safe.)

But the bottom line is...I love it.

I echo the sentiments of others...........teaching HAS to be a calling! There are no other good, sane reasons to do it (smile ;) )
And as for summers off, since I made so little money during the year, I always had to work full-time during the summers to supplement my salary!

I'm surrounded by a family of teachers, both parents, both my brothers, and me. My 22 yr old DS is in the process of getting his elementary education, too.

My parents have done well financially with lots of careful planning and budgeting.

My oldest brother is the sole provider in his family and they struggle. He does work parttime as a coach which IMO is a hard enough job in itself.

My youngest brother and wife both teach. They live and spend like they were CEO's of a company!!:rolleyes:

And me.....I'm just a sub, so my DH brings home the bread and I bring home the butter!!:jester:

All of us teachers in the family get about 14 weeks off a year....my DH just earned 5!!:eek:

Teaching, as already said, can be a hard job (especially mentally) but I know none of us would have changed our jobs to something else.:D

These days, the goverment is putting so much pressure on teachers. Meanwhile, they cut out all the wonderful programs that have been proven to help children succeed. They are overcrowding classrooms and cutting jobs. We are expected to do more with less resources. To renew my certification I now have to take 3 times the course work than I had to in the past. Is anyone going to help me with the cost of these courses? Nope.

I love teaching and I would not discourage anyone from entering the field. It is not an easy field to succeed in. If summer vacation is your real motivation for becoming a teacher, you may want to consider something else. Pretty soon the goverment will probably cut that out too.:)

I have the best job in the whole wide world. :)

But
I am VERY lucky. I have DH who brings home more than 3X as much as I make. I don't know how single teachers do it. :( I spend a lot of my summer getting ready for next year - inservices, preparing materials, etc. And, unfortunately, it does seem as though we are expected to do more more more with less less less. :(

BUT
I have the best job in the whole wide world. :):):)

Have you considered being a Tech person for a school district? In our town we have a Tech at every school (our schools are large) that is in charge of keeping us up and running. Our system still has Social Security and we have a pension plan (haha) that will at least give us some money to live on when we retire. Teaching is a very thankless job, but the joy in seeing a child learn something new can't be put into words.

I've only taught as a college adjunct for the past 5 years. Before that I taught elementary special ed. It was exhausting, but I loved it. I always toy with going back when my daughter and son are a bit older.

It is a calling, though. Your heart must be in it because it's pretty thankless. You get little respect - everyone seems to think he/she could be a teacher, when, in fact, it takes a special person to be a good teacher.

I never had a problem with the salary I made. My husband had a good job, and we had no kids, so we did fine. As a main bread winner, though, just teaching isn't going to cut it. But if you're single, and you don't have to live high on the hog, I think it's fine.

Personally, I think the continuing education for teachers is a good thing. No one can stay fresh and well-informed in his/her profession without continuing ed. In the long run, it'll foster more respect for the profession, and teachers won't get "stale," like some have in the past. Those who aren't truly committed will be weeded out.

I say that if you have a passion and a drive to teach, go for it. But if it just seems like an easy and convenient choice, forget it. Good luck with your decision!

Originally posted by glo
oh, and unless you teach in a warzone...or a very rich town, expect to take on a part time job. Most teachers who are single need to do so to supplement their salary. Oh, and no social security.....you have a pension plan.. :(
That stinks! I've been thinking (and planning) on teaching. I'm a single mom with a 9 year old!

I have my teaching degree.certification, but currently do not teach and RAELLY hope I never have to again. But, I tought in some rough schools.

Teaching is really a calling. There are aspects that I miss, but too many negatives that keep me away. It is almost to a oint that you have to plan a different lesson for every student because too many schools in the past had a rle of ne retention. So, no matter what, the student was moved on. I had a 5th grader who had no clue what the letter "L" sounded like. Yet, she was suppose to pass the state test because her special ed testing showed she was working on her ability. (low IQ) She was one of the sweetest and most behaving students I had.

Good luck in making your decision. Sounds like you might be good at being a Campus Technologist.

So, here I am in my soon to be mid-40's STILL wondering...what do I want to be when I grow up? :rolleyes: I was discouraged from psychology because I would be in school at least 7 years. Gee, I'd be past 50 at that point! :mad: So my next choice was teaching between 2nd and 4th grades. I'm not so sure any more! My next choice would be Marketing. From past experience in my companies, that's one of the first departments to be cut when times are tough! :( Not sure I should go there. Then it would be a toss up between Accounting or a Business degree. I would have to flip a coin because I really don't know which of those to go with. My former boss tells me you can do a lot with a business degree. With accounting, I guess you're more limited. I have a friend who became a bank auditor after her degree and really likes her job. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... This isn't easy.

Pin Wizard, I think you will find that college programs require that you go through a semester of student teaching in a public school. You will not get paid for student teaching and will have to pay tuition on top of that. Also maybe you should look into teachers' starting salaries in your district and make sure that it is something you will be able to live on. :) Good luck.

Originally posted by snuggles
Our system still has Social Security and we have a pension plan (haha) that will at least give us some money to live on when we retire.

That's not nice........

I'm not disagreeing with any of the above statements, they are all valid opinions. Let me just add a little from a fellow-Floridian. In this state you do get social security and you are part of the Florida Retirement System. I will have taught my whole career in Florida when I retire, and between the two I am anticipating a reasonable retirement income. Pay in Florida is among the lowest in the country, however you do know that our expenses are lower than many other states and there are a few counties that pay more than the going rate in Florida. I'm lucky enough to be in one of the top-paying counties. That's why my fiancee moved here - and is now desperately hunting for a job in his field.

As for teaching jobs, they should be pretty easy to come by over the next couple of years. The amendment that was passed lowering class sizes is putting a huge burden on the education system. Last I heard, the state was looking for, in the neighborhood of, 20,000 new teachers next year alone. Some people are predicting that salaries are going to have to rise in order to draw enough people for the new positions. I'm not counting on that, however!

Don't go into this job for the summers or the time to write. They won't exist. Keeping up with my classroom work during the year, and taking classes during the summer don't leave me a lot of extra time. And with the emphasis on the FCAT tests and the new legislation about failing students who can't perform at grade level, your creativity and originality are used less and less. Teaching in this state is now much more teaching exactly what you are told, the way you are told to teach it. It's unfortunate, but it is the way of the future in Florida.

Weigh the facts carefully before making a decision. If you can spend some time in a classroom, observing, or volunteering, that would be a great way to help make a decision. And don't just make it an hour or two! Spend a semester coming in every week, and observe carefully everything going on around you.

Good Luck!

This insight is coming to you from a teacher for almost 27 years. In addition, I am a supervising teacher for student teachers. Teaching is a calling, a vocation, and it should not be entered into on the premise of having the summers off. During those summers you will attend workshops and inservices and most of the time, they are on YOUR dime and trust me, they are NOT cheap when you have to factor in hotels, meals and registration fees.

Depending on your state, you will also be required to attend professonal development, and take grad classes...again on YOUR dime, just to keep your certification valid.

You will have to understand that the job is NOT a 8:00 - 4:00. Most days have me out of the building by 4:30, but I come home to write lesson plans, calendars, class newsletters, etc. In addition, with the "least restictive environment" programs, I have to constantly do progress reports, IEPs. EPPCs, MET's etc. for the special needs students who are placed in my "regular" classroom. There are Benchmarks, assessments, progress reports to do for the "regular" kids, too.

Don't think you are going to be able to "bank" your paycheck either. I spend $$$ on classroom resource materials that the district doesn't provide. You know all those bulletin board decorations? Those come out of MY pocket. Any incentives I use with my students like stickers are my responsibility.

I always chuckle after a few days supervising a student teacher when he/she turns to me and says, "I had NO idea I would be so tired after teaching all day!"

Teaching is my passion and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I know I could be sitting here with a lot more $$$$ in my pockets had I chosen another career path. But, I love my job and the smiles and the shouts of "I GET IT NOW!" from my students are my reward and that is what makes it worthwhile for me. Lucky for me, my DH has had a good job that enabled me to do what I love so much!

Good luck in your choices.

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCVs 2002

Yikes! And I thought I'd be around for DS working as a teacher. I know about the student teaching. But is is during your 4 years in college or a year in addition? I'm in FL and have been told teaching is a career in demand here...not enough teachers! Jeb isn't too keen on downsizing the classes, and I'd bet he waits until the last possible moment to do it. Frankly, I'm tired of DS being in a class of 35 kids!! :mad: And he's in a private school. You can barely walk in between the desks in class. And I suppose downsizing doesn't apply to private schools. :rolleyes: Even administration looked interesting until I read that you have to have a Master's. A Master's for school Administration? :eek: Where can you go without a Master's these days? :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter