Question re: paying balance on room only reservation

csmom

DIS Veteran
In the past, I have always made my resort reservations directly through Disney. This time, I booked a room only reservation for Feb 2018 through a travel agent, as I got a better deal this way. I have some Disney gift cards that I'd like to use toward the outstanding balance. Can I call Disney and make payments toward the balance myself, or does this have to be done by the travel agent, as I didn't book directly? Since balance om a room only reservation is due at check in, could I just make payment in person at check in with the gift cards? Or will they have already charged balance to the credit card I have on file?

I have a room only reservation with my TA, and she said that I can pay with GCs when I arrive. I can report back next month to let you know what really happens, but that'a what I have been told.
I do know that when my room rate changed, the only way I could get the info about what was still due was through my agent. And just so you know, you can give your agent your GC #'s to use.

I send the gift card numbers to my TA, and she calls and pays the balance for me. I like to have my room paid before I get there. I’ve booked a package and a room only with her and both times she did the gift cards for me.

I have a room only reservation with my TA, and she said that I can pay with GCs when I arrive. I can report back next month to let you know what really happens, but that'a what I have been told.
I do know that when my room rate changed, the only way I could get the info about what was still due was through my agent. And just so you know, you can give your agent your GC #'s to use.

When I have had a room only they put the balance due on my credit card on file early in the morning on arrival day -I’m talking a little after midnight that morning. They can reverse the charge on your card when you arrive so you can use the gift cards but be prepared to have your card charged.

When I have had a room only they put the balance due on my credit card on file early in the morning on arrival day -I’m talking a little after midnight that morning. They can reverse the charge on your card when you arrive so you can use the gift cards but be prepared to have your card charged.
I figured I would go to the concierge part way through our trip and apply the gift cards to our balance. Thank you for letting me know how it works if I don't do that!

My TA has a disclaimer to please combine all gift cards into one for payments.

It also depends on your TA on when final payment is due. My TA does exclusive rates and they require payment 30 days before even if it's Room Only but you can still cancel within 5 days of your arrival.

Keep in mind if you use gift cards and have to cancel, the money goes back to the gift cards. I know of someone who canceled and is trying to find a way to sell $4,000 in gift cards.

Keep in mind if you use gift cards and have to cancel, the money goes back to the gift cards. I know of someone who canceled and is trying to find a way to sell $4,000 in gift cards.
May I suggest ebay? Or if they want i could send them some empty gift cards then they could spilt it up into smaller amounts. I had something that happen and sold 300 or so and got most of my money back only lost maybe 30 or 40 with eBay fees and shipping , and I shipped insured for an extra 100 over the value so if anything happened I got the money back plus something for the headache that would coime from it

Yes they do charge your credit card on file on a room only reservation before you even arrive. It takes a little while for them to reverse and use your gift card.
I'm hoping I can call and have them apply the gift card before I arrive.

That is something people need to keep in mind. When you buy Disney gift cards, you are paying non-refundable money to Disney. If you don't know that for sure, no matter what, you will do Disney travel in the future, you shouldn't buy them at all.

What's particularly sad is that Disney is really good with refunds, so if that person had just paid normally, they would have quickly & easily gotten all of their money back upon cancelling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter