Questions about a crockpot recipe--help please!

4merlurkerchris

Mouseketeer
Some questions about a recipe for pork chops in the crockpot:

This is the recipe:

4-5 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and sliced
3-4 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, diced
5-6 pork chops
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Place vegetables in bottom of crockpot.
Place pork chops on top of vegetables.
Pour soup over the top. Do not add water.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours

Okay, here are the questions:

1) I have a large enough crockpot for 8 pork chops. Should I add more soup and if so, about how much?

2) If I want to cook it quicker, can I cook on high for 4-5 hours instead of low for 8-10 hours?

3) Do the pork chops have to be defrosted or can you put them in frozen? If frozen, how much extra time should I add to cooking them?

Thanks so much for any information you can give me. It's the first time using the crockpot and I promise to let you know how it turns out!
Chris

I copied the following info from a page at about.com - under Southern US Cuisine. It was a section about converting/adapting recipes. Crock Pot Tips They also have a page with FAQ

Time Guide

Conventional Recipe: Low (200°): High (300°):
15 - 30 min 4 - 6 hrs 1 1/2 - 2 hrs
35 - 45 min 6 - 10 hrs 3 - 4 hrs
50 min - 3 hrs 8 - 18 hrs 4 - 6 hrs

Also - I remember reading in my original instruction book that when frozen meats are used, it is necessary to add at least 1 cup cold water. This was for a stone crock. I don't remember reading that you need to allow extra time when cooking frozen meats. They always give a range of time (e.g. 4 - 6 hours) - and I've never noticed that it takes a lot longer when the meat is frozen. . . but I usually cook things all day & wouldn't notice if they were finishing early.

Re: adding more soup - I would probably add another can of soup because what can you do with 1/2 a can? Also, my family likes more sauce with their meals. You could probably get away with the same amount - you just wouldn't have the same amount of coverage. Why don't you just add another carrot & another potato with the 2 chops & additional can of soup, if you're worried that it would be too "soupy"?

I hope this is some help!

d

Thanks! If I don't want to cook them for 8-10 hours on low, can I cook them for 4-5 hours on high? What do you think?
I appreciate the information!
Chris

I usually cook mine on high for about 3 or 4 hours. I put them in at lunch time, and then they are ready in the early afternoon. Also, I always throw mine in frozen and it doesn't seem to add much to the cooking time.

You can cook them on high, but with some cuts of meat, low really works better. Pork chops aren't usually a problem, but cheap roasts taste much better when cooked on low. Newer crock pots have an AUTO setting, which is wonderful, but if you don't have that, you can cook on high for about 2 hours or so and then switch to low. It will speed up the cooking without compromising texture nearly as much.

Sorry Chris - I didn't realize how poorly that chart converted! I added spaces & everything. Oh well. :rolleyes:

The chart said that recipes requiring 50 minutes to 3 hours (how's that for a wide range?? :confused: ) can be converted to 8 to 18 on low or 4 to 6 on high. I would take that to mean that your recipe should be done in 4 to 5 hours, since it says 8 - 10 on low.

Let us know how they turn out! :D

d

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter