Questions about annual passes vs disney club discounts - HELP PLEASE!

atg724

Earning My Ears
Hi fellow Disney nuts! :D

I have some questions for you. My fiance and I are planning on going to WDW for our honeymoon in June of 2002. Although we have both been there numerous times, there are still some things neither of us is sure about! I would like to know about different discounts. We would like to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for about 14 nights, should we join the Disney Club to get the discount on the room rate or is there a better discount with an annual pass? (we thought maybe we would get an annual pass and go back the following year for our 1 year-wedding anniversary:p )
I am just so confused with all of the info on the internet. I don't know whether I should 1)join the Disney Club to get a discounted annual pass, or 2) if we buy an annual pass, does that give us a discounted Disney Club membership?? Also if i would get a discount on the hotel through the Disney Club OR the annual pass, or if they both offer discounts?
We originally were going to go with a package plan for the trip, but thats looks as if it is extremely expensive!! We could really use the advice and input from other people out there who have had experience w/ the AP and DC!! Sorry if this post seems like my mind is scrambled (it is lol) and thank you very much for your help!!!

Amy:pinkbounc

Both AP and DC discounts are limited and subject to availability. You must be a DC member before you can make a reservation for a DC discounted room. You do not need an AP in hand to make an AP discounted reservation, but you must have one to show at check in.

DC discounts for 2002 have been announced and are in the system. The amount of the discount varies by season and resort classification. For June, the DC discount for deluxe & Home-Away-From-Home resorts is 10%. For moderate and value resorts, it is 15%.

AP discounts, when available, are almost always better than DC discounts. Ap discounts are usually announced one to three months ahead of time and they do go very quickly.

You cannot combine discounts.

The AP does not get you a discount on Disney Club membership, but a DC membership will give you a slight (approx 5%) discount on the purchase of an AP.

Here's a link that will help you compare the discounts available with the AP and DC card.

http://wdwig.com/discounts.htm

Have fun planning! And Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

You might check if you belong to any organizations that offer a discount on a DC membership, or if your place of employment does. We belong to Farm Bureau, so our DC membership was $29.95. When we buy our AP, we will save $15 on each one we buy up to 10.

:eek: <b> 14 NIGHTS!?? </b> :eek:

Man, when I saw that I said, "OH MY GAWD!" out loud at work. *L* Thanks a lot! ;)

Anyway, I've gotten the major run around with DC. In my eyes, it's only worth the $40 if,
A) You really read the Disney magazine that you'll get "for free" and B) You spend most of your time shopping at the Disney Store which you'll get a minor discount at.

The flier that I got said I'd get a 15% discount at the time that I was traveling. And yeah, it's limited blah blah blah - but I was keeping major close tabs on those discounts and as soon as they hit those computers I was on the phone - being promised the DC discount come to find out - it was the regular room rate all along. When we called and asked about it, they said that we were getting luggage tags and entry into the Sports Complex which ate up our discount??? Whatever, blech. (Can you tell I'm a little bitter?)

I just posted a new thread on this board - the "chasing your tail for a discount" thread. It says it all.

We are going for an extended trip in November...and found this to be the best for us --
1) Get a DC membership

2) Get an AP -- you will find it's the cheapest way to go for your tickets for as long as you are going to be there....by the way, you will get a discount on your AP's with your DC membership.

3) Get a good travel agent to help you. I met Jean through another board, and she deals exclusively with Disney reservations. She used to be a CM so she "knows the ropes" very well. She is fantastic!!! (And it doesn't cost you a penny more to use her!) My opinion is, to email her and she can give you some advice! (Also, if you email her and ask her questions, you don't HAVE to book through her. Of course, she hopes that you will use her, but she is friendly and helpful to everyone!) If you email her, tell her the Karen Callahan sent you! ;)

Her email address : jstultz@swbell.net
(Jean Stultz of Magical Journeys)

If you are going for 14 days the AP is the park pass you want. To get a LOS pass for 14 days, or whatever they are calling them now, will cost a lot more than an AP that will be good for a year. As far as getting the DC it will cost you $40.00 to join the DC to save $30.00 on your APs. So unless you shop a lot at TDS (to make use of the 10% discount) the DC card will actually cost you $10.00 more than just buying the APs without the DC discount.
The room discounts are ALWAYS much better with an AP vs DC.

I personnaly like the DC. I saved $40 on my National Car Rental for next year
plus about $65 on my stay at ASMo. I will also save a little on my tickets and yes my
DC works at the DT Disney store at WDW. Yes, I did like it better when the card was free
'but hey what the heck.

Pam

I just read on another site tht if you hav an AP, you are finger printed (or hav a biometric scan ) whn going thru turn stall at theme parks????.....Anyone know if this true or not????...I don't think tht I want my "prints" on file somewhere in a Disney computer!!!

The biometric reader is NOT a "finger print reader" but actually a measurement of the your index and middle fingers. This is to keep people honest about not transfering the pass.

To the original poster:
We are DVC members and have used the APs to save us LOTS of money! IF you are staying more than 8 nights in a calendar year, it is the cheapest pass you can buy. If you plan to return within the 365 day period, it is essential! We purchase our AP vouchers at the Disney Store before the price increase in January. The voucher gets traded for an AP on your first day into the parks. You then have 365 consecutive days to use the pass before it expires. If you are planning 14 nights now and another vacation for your anniversary, this will be a GREAT deal! Last year we used our APs a total of 29 days, so we figured it cost us just over $10 a day! Bear in mind that our APs were purchased 2 years ago with the DC discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter