Questions about the College Program

disney junky said:
My DD is a soph in college and interested in the college program. Here are my questions.
For parents: Health Insurance. She must be enrolled as a full time student to be on my plan. Does Disney cover health insurance?
What are some of the realities of the program that are not evident from the website?
What is the length of the program?
What credit is offered if any? I have heard it's pass/fail and don't think her college will recognize that; that's up to her to find out.
Any other comments, both positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I pm'ed you, too.
1. No disney does not do health insurance...although there are a number of temporary insurance plans that you can purchase for a few months (mostly handle "crisis" health issues, but are usually affordable).
2. Program can be 1 college semester or 1 semester plus summer. Used to be able to do summer only, but not anymore, unless you are a "returning" CP.
3.Many colleges do not recognize the courses offered at disney for credit, but that is up to the school. You can take some of the disney courses through a college (one in SC and one in FL, I think) and then your school may accept them....however, it will still depend on your daughter's major and if courses like them are in her major to begin with - example - many are "business oriented" so if she is a psych major, she wouldn't need those courses anyway.
4.Overall I think the program is great and have had 2 daughters complete it. The university I work for, however, is not as "into" the program as some others, so we don't have that many students participate anymore. The credit thing can really be an issue for many schools and students.

I am sure others will weigh in on this, too......

I worked on the College Program back in 2001 and am still friends with a lot of people down there, and here are some of the realities that have not changed since then:

Roommate situations are hard to take care of - if you guys don't get along, Disney will do anything in their power to try and get you to work it out and will not switch you unless its approved by about 8 people. I was stuck with a roommate who was incredibly racist for over a month and I could not stand him using the n-word and many others every day.

My school offered me 12 credits for the internship, but when I transferred from a SUNY school to Emerson in Boston, I was denied those 12 creds and had to make them up over a summer. So just know that even if your college takes them, if you transfer, you may not get those creds...that's okay, it was well worth the extra semester at school! :)

Also, there is an unwritten rule that if you're a really great Cast Member and you speak to the right people you could extend your College Program Internship to up to a year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter