Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA?

I was raised in CT but with my family coming from Maine, so I spent a lot of time there growing up and now live in Maine. CT lobster rolls are butter, Maine lobster rolls are cold with mayo. I can't eat lobster so I have no side in this, but many places now sell both. There's a food truck company here that even does lobster roll flights.

OMG, lobster roll flights!

Schools in the South have a different school year schedule compared to our northern schools correct? In the North, our school year runs September to June.
We start in early August and end in mid-May. We live in a touristy lake area so lots of kids can work at marinas and lodges with this summer break.

Have any Southerners never visited the North before?
I have been to Newport, Rhode Island, and loved it! Plan to see lots of Northern cities.

We've also been to northern Montana, is that considered in the North!?

Ok substitute the 4 ft they have for about 4in, and that’s the south’s snow day. We actually do get them. We were shut down for a good week this past winter when we got a foot.

Maryland shuts down if a couple of flurries hit the ground.

All of my friends from high school and college laugh about how little it takes with winter weather to shut down Houston. We just don't get real winter weather enough to justify those kinds of additions to our infrastructure spending. Of course...you've also got the millions of people with no clue how to drive in any of it.

We've also been to northern Montana, is that considered in the North!?

That's definitely north, but having grown up in the northeast and traveled to Montana a number of times, it's a totally different northern vibe. I think Babb is the farthest north I've been in MT and it's nothing like east coast north. Then again, the farthest north I've been in NY State are places like Plattsburgh and Champlain, which are nothing like the NYC metro area.

All of my friends from high school and college laugh about how little it takes with winter weather to shut down Houston. We just don't get real winter weather enough to justify those kinds of additions to our infrastructure spending. Of course...you've also got the millions of people with no clue how to drive in any of it.
I remember being in 6th grade in Houston and getting flurries. They let us all out of school. Not because of bad conditions but because none of us had ever seen snow before.

Who has the better local news stations?
When we moved up North to a very small remote town, we got local news. We laughed at it a lot back then.
Now I prefer it to the endless drivel on big networks. We still have a lot of local stuff on it, IE: celebrations, episodes about snowmobiling, skating, ice fishing, etc in the winter, and boating and fishing in the summer. It's mostly local fun news and never gets too deep. It is definitely not what we were used to in Ohio or Tn. I prefer the local news and never miss it:)

You would think people who lived in New England all their lives would learn how to drive in snow and ice... :P

I can assure you there are tons of people who didn't learn!

Who has the better local news stations?

I don't know, they all seem to be interchangeable here in CT. We have one weatherman who is amusing on Channel 3, but the rest of the stations all seem pretty much the same.

When I travel I really don't watch TV much, so I can't really comment on other states.

You would think people who lived in New England all their lives would learn how to drive in snow and ice... :P

I can assure you there are tons of people who didn't learn!

Snow isn't nearly as bad as ice, but I have many memories growing up and in my college years involving bad driving in winter weather. Nowadays, I just don't want to do it at all. Although, I intentionally bought a vehicle with AWD and special snow settings in case we end up driving into NM or CO in the winter. I'm 3 years in and have never used any of it! 🤣

Trying to live in the south and eat gluten free is like torture. There’s nothing you can eat anywhere, and you just can’t recreate southern food with gluten free substitutes. I’ve tried.
One of my celiac kids is a Clemson student and agrees with you, she’s looking forward to coming home and eating.

Snow isn't nearly as bad as ice, but I have many memories growing up and in my college years involving bad driving in winter weather. Nowadays, I just don't want to do it at all. Although, I intentionally bought a vehicle with AWD and special snow settings in case we end up driving into NM or CO in the winter. I'm 3 years in and have never used any of it! 🤣

When we learned how to drive, we were purposely brought out in snowy conditions so that we learned how to deal with it. And that was long before 4WD and AWD vehicles, which make driving in snow easier.

I completely agree on driving on ice, but your first thing should be to SLOW DOWN when you think it might be icy, not continue to drive like a bat out of hell!

When we learned how to drive, we were purposely brought out in snowy conditions so that we learned how to deal with it. And that was long before 4WD and AWD vehicles, which make driving in snow easier.

I completely agree on driving on ice, but your first thing should be to SLOW DOWN when you think it might be icy, not continue to drive like a bat out of hell!

I learned how to drive in NJ. I don't recall any behind the wheel training during winter weather, but slow is definitely the key. I had my car up at school for my senior year at Syracuse. I didn't drive a lot, but when the roads were bad, I'm not sure I went much over 20-25mph. If anything, I probably ticked off a lot of people wanting to go faster 🤣

Yes- in Maine, people are eligible to win a permit once every three years. I don't hunt, so I'm not familiar with other details.

here it's once in a lifetime for one single moose-if you win one of the permits in the lottery it matters not if you are unsuccessful hunting, you are prohibited from ever entering the lottery again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter