questions re: resort choice & character meal

mom2brm

Earning My Ears
Hi All!
De-lurking and can't wait to get to the World! I've got a couple of questions...Travelling Jan 23 with DDs (3 & 5) and my parents (dh and son will stay at home...in the cold....poor things ;) )
Questions are:
1) if given a choice, would you stay at the brand, spanking new Pop Century (Canadian At Par special) OR.....go for the ASMo (the girls LOVE Toy Story) (same Canadian At Par special applies)
2) I've heard that you can opt to pay a $5 entertainment fee at the character meals...and not eat. Has anyone done this? If so..do you tell them when you make your PS...or when you get there?

By the way....I picked up some hot, lime green Home Depot paint chips for ID....Will 'tag' the girls with these on their 'complimentary' lanyards that come with the package.

Thanks all..
Lee
:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Welcome to the board. I'm pretty new here myself!

I would definately go for Pop Century (I'll be there from 1/04 (when the at-par deal starts) to 1/9).

-- Pop Century would only have been open for just over one month when you arrive. So you would be one of the first there.
-- you can't beat a brand new hotel for cleaniness, and good beds! In any situation, faced with two very similar hotels, I would always prefer the newer one, or the one that has just been renovated.

If you check the Resorts category, you'll see a very long thread (started by Tyler, a cast member) about Pop Century. It looks great.

I would pick the Pop Century, which I have for our surprise Easter Trip!LOL

BTW, Let's hope we leave the Cold behind! Last Year DD and I travelled at the same time and near about froze to death! They were having a cold spell like they are experiencing right now! We have a Great Pic of us on DD's Birthday on Main Street wearing our Winter Gear!LOL

Regarding the $5.00 fee, I would ask at the Restaurants Boards.

Have Fun Planning and Have a Magical Trip!

We also arrive on the 23rd in Orlando but not doing the parks since we are doing the 7 day cruise!

Keeping our fingers and toes crossed for great weather!LOL

Scratch
pirate:

I would also say Pop century with a trip over to ASM for pictures. We have one night in April booked because it looks so cute. As for the Character buffets I have never tried what you are suggesting so I can't help you out on that one.
Welcome and have a great trip.

Pop Century for sure ! Since you mentioned the paint chips from Home depot, there are 2 different colours that I would think could both be considered "lime". What's the actual name of the colour ... want to make sure I'm picking up the right colour !

Have a great trip !:)

Mary Liz

mom2brm, We are staying at the Pop Century on Jan 27/28 before our Disney wonder Cruise on Jan 29. We have never stayed on-site at Disney before so I am just excited to be staying anywhere there. But since the Pop Century will be virtually brand new I think it would be the best choice.

maryliz - I have heard the Alien Green is the preferred colour but I used Sonic Boom because somebody beat me to the Alien green ones and there were none available. Both colours will work.

The last time we visited the World, we went sans-kids and stayed at the (then) brand new AKL...WOWie :bounce:
It is because of that wonderful experience that I was leaning towards staying at the new PC resort. Nothing beats that wonderful 'new' smell to everything and the not-so-worn look that stairways and pools tend to get after a while.

So...that being said...and with all the support that I've received from the boards...we'll stick with the PC only because its brand new (otherwise, I had to admit it...but there's nothing that attracts me to that particular resort - well..nothing except for Baloo and Mowgli! ;) Tyler has put together a beautful description of the resort, pics included. And while there is plenty of detail that only Disney does best....there's nothing that special that I've seen that attracts me to that resort. I feel kinda bad admitting that - but that's the way it is.
In any case, I will gladly post an honest TR when I get back to share my experience (and perhaps eat my words!!)

Re: paint chip....I didn't know there was more than one choice...sonic boom is what I've picked up. I plan to use them on the lanyards (with our cell # and resort name on the back). ANyone else have any other uses for them?
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter