Radisson Worldgate -- BEWARE!

I have to say that I am very interested in the outcome of this. When we were there last May, members of the staff were very adamant about the fact that all Radisson properties are franchised and even claimed that they have "little to do with one another". So much so, in fact, that if I remember correctly, the front desk manager didn't even know where the other property was located, let alone had a phone number, etc. We asked to switch to the other property because we were so disgusted with all of the rooms that they were showing us at Worldgate, but they said it was out of the question. Now it seems that you have contacted a regional team, which they had originally led me to believe didn't even exist?!?! Either way, hopefully they will finally do something about these conditions. As I've said previously, it really is a great location, even if it was the ONLY good thing... and you know what they say... location, location, location! Kudos to you and please keep us updated!

Since we know that they are now reading this thread, I think it is legitimate to bring up these concerns and hopefully they will take us seriously and we will be serious with them, too.

Anyway, I'll definitely keep everyone informed and give my honest opinion.

If nothing else, it makes some good drama! ("As the Worldgate turns...)

:rotfl2:

Update:

I received a phone call from Ms. Houston (Carlson Group) on Friday stating that the Radisson Worldgate Resort would be contacting me via letter that they received my letter, are reviewing the threads and to alleviate my concerns they are upgrading me to a Sleep Number Room even though I only booked the standard room.

I haven't gotten the letter yet, but should have it this week.

I'm pleased for the upgrade but told Ms. Houston that many of the concerns with this hotel are mold, dirt, cracked paint, worn out conditions, etc, and if these conditions are in a standard room or an upgraded room, they are still a problem. So although I certainly appreciate the upgrade, I trust that this isn't the "quick fix" to my letter but the start of really making this hotel a good one!

I promised Ms. Houston that I would contact her after my trip to relay my personal thoughts on the hotel, room, restaurant, management, etc.

32 days!!! :cool1:

I have to say that I am very interested in the outcome of this. When we were there last May, members of the staff were very adamant about the fact that all Radisson properties are franchised and even claimed that they have "little to do with one another". So much so, in fact, that if I remember correctly, the front desk manager didn't even know where the other property was located, let alone had a phone number, etc. We asked to switch to the other property because we were so disgusted with all of the rooms that they were showing us at Worldgate, but they said it was out of the question. Now it seems that you have contacted a regional team, which they had originally led me to believe didn't even exist?!?! Either way, hopefully they will finally do something about these conditions. As I've said previously, it really is a great location, even if it was the ONLY good thing... and you know what they say... location, location, location! Kudos to you and please keep us updated!

If the staff is being truthful :rotfl2: , then for obviously *not* living up to the franchise agreement the Radisson Worldgate can certainly have their franchise yanked out from underneath them by whomever holds the rights to the Radisson brand.
And from what I've been reading here, that sounds like a good possibility. They should also be dropped like a hot potato from Priceline's system or re-listed as a 1* (is there a zero-star category :idea: ?)

agnes!

I also booked through priceline and have this hotel for 2 nights! What can I do? I don't want our vacation to be ruined by a roach motel. :scared1: Thanks!

I also booked through priceline and have this hotel for 2 nights! What can I do? I don't want our vacation to be ruined by a roach motel. :scared1: Thanks!

I'll be there in 10 days and will let you know if they made any improvements...:goodvibes

http://www.radisson.com/hotels/flkisgte

their site posts nice picts:

room_496.jpg

pool_496.jpg

loc_496.jpg
Do they have a Beach there? The site shows a couple of these picts

oh wait never mind! that is just there to show what OTHER things you can go and do in the area.

Yes, Marshay please let us know if they have gotten better. Yes, I looked on their website and the pics look great. Wonder how old they are?:lmao:

We stayed here last year for the weekend between our Nick stay and our Porofino Bay stay at US/IOA. We got a deal through American Express for a third night free with a free upgrade to the sleep number beds. I think we paid like $54 per night. We were on the third floor in the taller building. When you get there you'll know what I mean. Our room was clean and bug/mold free. I can't say how the other standard rooms were as we didn't see them.

WARNING: we found the pool deck to be very slippery, even with water shoes on. Several children (at least 5) fell around the toddler pool and they were either standing still or walking slowly. No one was running as you might expect. I even caught myself from falling a few times while walking from one pool to the other. We reported this to security and the manager came out with another staff person to check out the battlefield around the toddler pool. These poor little kids were just dropping with no warning. I hope they have made changes to the pool deck surface.

They did have some fun pool activities the kids really enjoyed and some live music at the little bar/snack area at the pool.

Hope someone has a good experience with this hotel.

quick review (I'll provide a more detailed one when I get back from WDW)

It wasn't as bad as some of the folks on here have led me to believe...

BUT

it is not as good as it should be.

We took pictures and I'll post them later...

Best thing -- sleep number bed (but I have one at home too so I'm completely used to it)

Worst thing -- they are not keeping up with the maintenance on the rooms. We found and photographed at least 5 things that a more conscientious management staff would not allow to happen.

wow, sorry to hear of so many poor visits

thread caught my eye because DS just returned from a week here with a youth group participating in national Academic Games Competition (ps he came in 9th:goodvibes )

anyway, he's a bit of a hotel snob i'm afraid:rolleyes: being used to quality accommodations, was freaked out by an econolodge @ CedarPoint last year lol.

his take on the 2nd floor room he shared that had a view of the lake area (don't ask me what the bldg was called); it was dated yet clean and the A/C was cold. He said the pool area with DJ was fun, but it was freezing. Another thumbs up for the food they were served.

he actually suggested it for a night or 2 when DVC points are so pricey, shocked he does listen to me!

I must say i felt bad for the other guests staying there with hundreds of middle/HS kids; hope they were on good behaviour:wizard:

As promised, here is my review of this resort:

Radisson Worldgate Resort

We stayed overnight on Saturday, May 3 and we checked into our Priceline room at the Radisson Worldgate Resort. The location is great -- very close to Disney except you have to pull out onto 192 to go to Disney and there is no light at the intersection, so depending on traffic, you may have a long wait.

We checked into our room and my first thought was that I thought it was a really nice room. I can see how management would enter the room and at a quick glance, say everything is fine.

I was in #558 with a view toward the parking lot! I really thought I'd get a better view.

Here is the overview of the room:

Notice the wall to wall dresser/counter along the window. This was nice for storage.
DSC_3064.jpg

TV was on top...Refrigerator was on bottom of the large unit. This was really nice to have a fridge in the room. Also the bottle of water was complimentary!
DSC_3065.jpg

View facing the opposite direction
DSC_3067.jpg

The shower was nice because it had one of those rods that curve outward to give you more room. However, the bottom of the shower had marks on it. At first I thought it was just dirty and then realized that it was markings on it (chips?).

The Asira toiletries were really nice, esp as they provided separate shampoo and conditioner and 2 different soap bars.
DSC_3073.jpg

My problem with most showers is that there isn't enough light in them. Once you closed the shower curtain, it was quite dark in there.

So I'm thinking, this is really nice for a room -- nothing extraordinary but a good room. Then before we start to unpack, I explore the room further ... and became disappointed...

Rating Scale 1 (Unacceptable) to 5 (Excellent)

1. Broken Shelf Moulding Edge

It's hard to tell in the picture but the front piece of wood- moulding was not attached on the right-hand side. This made a sharp, splintery edge that my DD of course found first and starting playing with.

I found this very unacceptable to have a piece of furniture not attached, esp when it was wood.
DSC_3068.jpg

Rating: 1 - Unacceptable, Hazardous

2. Bubbled/Warped Wood

The nice wood shelf along the window was warped. There were numerous bubbles in the wood (not the crackled paint but if you look you'll see at least 11 bubbles in the wood (and there were more). Obviously people had put drinks on the wood and the wood was not properly laminated/sealed. IMHO, this is the fault of the hotel since this shelf is where the ice bucket, glasses and water bottle are -- of course people will put water on here!

DSC_3069.jpg

Rating: 3 - Should be better maintained but not urgent.

3. Carpet Stains

Our room had three carpet stains on it...I'm sure none of them were from our previous tenants. Here are 2 of the pics...the largest one we found next to the other bed in the morning, but I didn't get a picture of it.

DSC_3070.jpg

DSC_3071.jpg

4. Torn Leather Chair

The desk chair was torn and there was also another stain on it.

DSC_3072.jpg

5. Paint on Mirror in Bathroom

Minor point but just continues to add up to the lack of maintenance. Whoever painted the bathroom did not take care to ensure that the mirror did not get marked up. It was on the left, bottom of the mirror so did not interfere with viewing.

6. Shower head

The shower head sprayed water into the main bathroom area. While my DH was getting his shower, my DD walked in and her socks got wet. Also, the shower curtain kept blowing into your body while showering. I absolutely hate this!!! Nothing like having a rubbery shower curtain clinging to you while you shower. :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Rating: 2 - Needs to be fixed or damage can occur.

7. Sleep Number Bed

First let me say that I love my Sleep Number Bed at home. We've had ours for almost 1.5 years and although it took me 3 weeks to truly find my comfort level, I totally miss it when I sleep elsewhere.

So the bed gets a Rating of 4.5. The only reason I cannot give it a "5" is because it was only a double bed. Being a tall person, I think any bed less than a queen bed is unacceptable. My DH and I can both fit on one, but neither of us sleep very comfortably. It's fine for one night but I really wanted a queen or better yet a King-size bed.

However, the foundation for the bed was horrible. If you sat on the bottom edge of the bed like we normally do while getting dressed or just sitting down, the other end of the bed lifted up. I was afraid I'd fall over. Then when you stood up, the bed slammed back down. They obviously need to have a longer foundation piece for the bed (think boxspring -- the piece that the mattress sits on top of...)

Rating: 2 - Needs to be fixed or damage can occur.

We did not have an opportunity to use the pools but they looked nice with lots of palm trees around them. However, the pools closed at 10pm I think so we couldn't use them.

Skipping ahead, we did eat brunch at the hotel, and except for the French Toast that literally went "ka-chunk" on my plate ("how long was that sitting there?!"), it was good. It had all the basics -- eggs, bacon, potatos, cereal, juices, fruit.

An unexpected surprise and not a pleasant one was the $7/day resort fee. When I asked about this charge, I was told it covered complimentary transportation to the parks (DIDN'T NEED, USE OR WANT), gym (DIDN'T NEED, USE OR WANT), and phone (DIDN'T NEED, USE OR WANT). It may have covered something else too, like the pool or safety deposit box which I also didn't need, use or want. So I guess that "complimentary" bottle of water was really $7 :eek: :eek: That's worse than Disney!:rotfl:

I plan to submit this report to Ms. Houston, my Carlson/Radisson contact, and am curious how they will respond. My overall rating for the Resort is a 3. It is fine for Priceline or a really good deal. They accepted our bid of $45 (but then you paid taxes and the $7 resort fee on top!)

It is fine for Priceline or a really good deal. They accepted our bid of $45 (but then you paid taxes and the $7 resort fee on top!)

Very interesting thread! You have to wonder, though, if part of Priceline's refusal to downgrade this hotel is revenue driven. I know that there are tens of thousands of hotels that figure into their profit - but this is Orlando, Mickey's Land! So by downgrading this, the $45/night is less appealing to the masses because the lower number of stars, the less expensive you expect it to be and thus less of a deal. Of course it could just be ignorance too!

Either way, I'm subscribing - this is interesting and I'd like to see how it unfolds!

I did not realize that this thread was still around.
We stayed here July of last year. Never again. It was everything I thought it would be and less. Even the pee smell in the stairwell that was not cleaned up the whole time we were there.

Radisson Worldgate Resort

I plan to submit this report to Ms. Houston, my Carlson/Radisson contact, and am curious how they will respond. My overall rating for the Resort is a 3. It is fine for Priceline or a really good deal. They accepted our bid of $45 (but then you paid taxes and the $7 resort fee on top!)

I appreciate your review but I think when you are saying that it is a great Priceline deal, you are forgetting that you got upgraded to a better room than most are getting. Our room was terrible. It did not look anything like the room that you were in and it sure didn't have a sleep number bed. I think that when you reported back to Carlson/Radisson they should have been made aware that you were the exception not the rule for a Priceline room.
I am glad your stay went well. I wish that that was true for everyone getting this hotel.

I did not realize that this thread was still around.
We stayed here July of last year. Never again. It was everything I thought it would be and less. Even the pee smell in the stairwell that was not cleaned up the whole time we were there.

I appreciate your review but I think when you are saying that it is a great Priceline deal, you are forgetting that you got upgraded to a better room than most are getting. Our room was terrible. It did not look anything like the room that you were in and it sure didn't have a sleep number bed. I think that when you reported back to Carlson/Radisson they should have been made aware that you were the exception not the rule for a Priceline room.
I am glad your stay went well. I wish that that was true for everyone getting this hotel.

That is a very good point! I still think it is a fine Priceline deal (not sure I ever said great...) but that was based on the Sleep Number bed room.

The couple who checked in before me was also through Priceline and they were also upgraded to a Sleep Number Bed...obviously not a guarantee though.

I agree if there was a pee smell, that would be awful! Our room smelled fine.

That is a very good point! I still think it is a fine Priceline deal (not sure I ever said great...) but that was based on the Sleep Number bed room.

The couple who checked in before me was also through Priceline and they were also upgraded to a Sleep Number Bed...obviously not a guarantee though.

I agree if there was a pee smell, that would be awful! Our room smelled fine.

You are right. Sorry about that :flower3:
I would still not consider our room a good deal either, but your room did look good. I think if we had stayed there then it would have been a better situation. At the time we were there, the people we talked to who were Priceline were all in the yucky rooms. I am glad that it is working out for some people, because I would hate to think that it would ruin someones trip.

Just wanted to provide an update -- I sent my review of this hotel to my Carlson contact on May 20th and I haven't heard anything since.

FYI -- The review I sent was a cut and paste from what I posted here.

Just a final post -- haven't heard a word from Carlson since giving them my room report. I emailed them twice...guess they didn't like what I had to say...but I thought I was being fair -- their room definitely needed work, some was minor (like the paint on the mirror) and other was pretty bad (like the 3 spots on the rug and broken wood moulding).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter